Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Privet, Everyone!

Подающий надежды оратор
    Can hardly think of a Xmas meal. Nothing like turkey in Western Europe.
    Usually winter holidays seem like 1 huge holiday starting few days before NY and ending some time after "Old NY" (NY Old Style=Jan, 14th).
    Religious holidays were forbidden during Soviet times so I guess it might've influenced our traditions.
    NY is one of the biggest holidays in ex-Soviet countries, Xmas is mainly perceived as another excuse for having NY hangover cure (another portion of alcohol), yummy meals, meeting friends and stuff

Подающий надежды оратор Red Square's Avatar
    Okay, I understand, then. I will have to study about the holidays in Russia so my knowledge is better.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Not sure if links to other sites are allowed here...
    I was looking for Russian holidays articles for a friend of mine recently.
    So here are a few I used:
    Russian Holidays | Russian Language Learning Club
    Russian Holidays :: Manners, Customs and Traditions :: Culture & Arts :: Russia-InfoCentre
    Not to mention Wiki:
    Public holidays in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^

Thank you, jazzy_cat! I have also learned of Cosmonautics Day, or April 12th. Do they still hold a parade for this day, to honor Gagarin?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Square View Post
    I have also learned of Cosmonautics Day, or April 12th. Do they still hold a parade for this day, to honor Gagarin?
    As far as I know parades were never held at 12th April. Also it's not a day-off. We have a parade on 9th May every year and used to have parades at 7th November (Anniversary of October Revolution) but they were cancelled after 1991.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Ah, yes, I forgot about Thanksgiving... my apologies... it was not my purpose to offend anyone. So there is no popular meal that is enjoyed for Christmas in Russia, with those who do celebrate it?
    Here is the info about Russian Christmas meal: Kutia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    However, as I have been writing beforehand, It is not many Russians who adhere the tradition.

^

Thank you, Maria123. Kutia sounds interesting... I will do a search for recipes for it. I understand about Christmas not being observed during the Soviet-era. The link also in the article for the twelve-dish Christmas Eve supper was informative, thank you!

Hey Red Square,
    Tell me how it tastes...

Подающий надежды оратор
    In Moldova kutia is more popular as a funeral repast compulsory dish Rather than Xmas meal ))
    I recall some people use it for Xmas though.

Увлечённый спикер
    Greetings Red Square,

Have you tried Borscht yet?

I hear Helenej can make a good one.

Greetings Chemist12! No, I have not yet had borscht, but it is at the absolute top of my list! I have seen very many recipes on YouTube for how to make it, and I know without doubt I will love it... it will be the first Russian food I try, I think. Do you have a favorite borscht recipe, or one you think is most authentic?

Do you have a favorite borscht recipe, or one you think is most authentic?
    My favorite one: boil pork, then put a pan-fried cut beetroot, onions and carrots. Add tomato paste. Then put cut potatoes and cabbage. Finally add salt, pepper and a spoon of vinegar. Pour into plates and add sour-cream and parsley.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist12 View Post
    Greetings Red Square,

Have you tried Borscht yet?

I hear Helenej can make a good one.
    A good one? I got taken to the hospital three times last year after eating my own borsch.

Yet I could improve if you promise to buy me a restaurant in downtown Wellington.
    I could even call it "12 chemical ingredients in Ukrainian borsch" in appreciation of your contribution.

Basil77, that sounds like a great recipe... I will try it! What about vareniki... is there a favorite recipe for anyone here?

Privet, everybody! I was away from the forum for a long time, due to problems with my PC... my hard drive failed, so I needed to save up the money to buy a new one. I also have started a new job this year, so I am now working again. I hope those of you who are here in the USA have had a good New Year's celebration.

I wanted to ask of the people here what they think of a blog on YouTube called the Real Russia Reality Blog? I have been watching the episodes, and I personally very much enjoy it, and find it to be informative and enjoyable, so I wanted to know what those of you here might think of it. Would you suggest it to someone who would like to know a bit more about the life in everyday Russia? If you do not like this blog, may I ask what are the reasons?

Does anybody here who lives in the U.S. know of a website that sells Russian music CDs and ships them here from Russia? I am trying to find full CDs, but all I can find for sale here are CD singles with one or two tracks.

Почтенный гражданин MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY's Avatar
    Does anybody here who lives in the U.S. know of a website that sells Russian music CDs and ships them here from Russia? I am trying to find full CDs, but all I can find for sale here are CD singles with one or two tracks.
    I searched it for you, but i couldn't find any link.
    And It's very unlikely, cause in Russia, people mostly (if not all) "download" musics, than to buy!
    I hope someone can help you, anyways!
    Let's Live By The Moment... Cause Together Ain't Promised Forever
    Жить надо так, чтобы тебя помнили и сволочи
    Du Vet Inte Vad Som Kan Hända Innan Aftonen!

What do you looking for? I can help you find any music, of course free

Новичок
    Hellow

Hello, Igor, and thank you, maxitron! I am looking for the Вєрка Сердючка "Best Songs" CD. I know iTunes has it, and if that is my only option, I will of course just download it. I also find one on ebay that is from a seller in Russia, but they only take PayPal as payment, and I have only a regular credit card... I do not have a PayPal account. I guess there is nothing wrong with downloading the music, this is true. I guess I just like to also have the actual CD sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast