Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Privet, Everyone!

Подающий надежды оратор Red Square's Avatar

Privet, Everyone!

Hello, all...

I just joined this forum because I have developed a very deep interest in Russian culture and history, and am continuing to learn things about Russia. I am planning to sample a variety of Russian food, as it all looks delicious, and I am enjoying Russian music, both Soviet-era and also modern popular music. I am going to attempt to also learn Russian, but the process may be slow for me personally, as I have never before studies to learn another language. I would one day in the future like to visit Russia, if it becomes possible. In any case, I hope to make some new friends here.

Lena
    Why on earth all the foreigners here are that crazy about the Russian cuisine?
    Looks like they all are starving there in their countries.
    Anyway, welcome aboard, Red Square.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenej View Post
    Why on earth all the foreigners here are that crazy about the Russian cuisine?
    Looks like they all are starving there in their countries.
    Anyway, welcome aboard, Red Square.
    Well, I have to admit I haven't ever had any Russian cuisine...lol...so the jury's still out on me! Welcome to the forum, Red Square.

Welcome Red Square!

Here is an easy recipe for you: buckwheat with salted cucumber (pickle)

Put a pot (clay, ceramic, cast iron) in the oven (gas, electrical) for 20-25 min with the following mix:

buckwheat = 300 grams
    cucumber = 3-4 chopped (15 centimetre size)
    half of a small onion - chopped and fired till gold
    butter (not a vegetable oil) -30 grams
    black pepper and a boy leaf (you will need no salt)
    add water to cover the mix 1-1,5 centimetre higher

Enjoy your meal

Welcome, Red Square!

It's a good idea to start with food. You get to eat the cake and have the experience Maybe that's the answer to Helenej's question)
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! Helenej, I did not know there were so many foreigners on here who are crazy about Russian food. I myself have not sampled it yet, but I very much want to, because from what I have read and seen, it seems that I think I would very much enjoy it! Maria123, I thank you for the recipe... I will try it out! It seems to be very simple and straightforward. Thanks again, everyone!

OMG... I wish to apologize to everyone here... I have incorrectly spelled 'privet' in the title of my thread... I forgot to type the 'r' in the word! My apologies, for I don't want to offend anyone. If a Moderator or Administrator wishes to correct the spelling, that would be great! Again, I just noticed my mistake, and I am sorry!

Fixed!

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    Well, I have to admit I haven't ever had any Russian cuisine...lol...so the jury's still out on me! Welcome to the forum, Red Square.
    What does "the jury's still out on me" means, Kevin? Can you rephrase?

What does "the jury's still out on me" means, Kevin? Can you rephrase?
    The jury's still out = решение ещё не принято.
    The jury's still out on me - Я ещё не принял решения?

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    The jury's still out = решение ещё не принято.
    The jury's still out on me - Я ещё не принял решения?
    Oh, I see. Thank you, Lampada.

But watch out, Kevin. You say you haven't been warned against learning such a crazy language as Russian.
    Never say that I haven't warned you against eating Russian food.
    I am telling you, Kevin, that after every Russian dinner you will have to jog for an hour so as not to put on weight.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin View Post
    Welcome, Red Square!

It's a good idea to start with food. You get to eat the cake and have the experience Maybe that's the answer to Helenej's question)
    I notice that the idea of starting learning a foreign language with food occurs only to men. Women are way more indifferent to it.
    What could that mean?

How about Sushi, Soba or Chawanmushi when you are starting to learn Japanese? Still indifferent?

800px-Chawan-mushi.JPG

800px-Western_Sushi.jpg

800px-Izumosoba33.JPG

Thank you, MasterAdmin, for fixing the error!

I don't know if I am starting the learning process with food... if anything, I would think I have started it with music, since my interest began after listening to a lot of modern Russian popular music, as well as older music from the Soviet-era. I have also been reading about the culture, and customs, and through exploration of these things, it leads me to then explore even more new areas, and my interest grows. I have also seen pictures of places in Russia that look very beautiful to me, so I enjoy learning about many different aspects at once, I think.

Почтенный гражданин
    Yes, I think everyone has their own interests that draws them to investigate another culture. My own just happened to be communication. I just wondered what the average Russian really thought, and I wanted to read, or hear it for myself, not digest it from what someone else was telling me...lol.

Почтенный гражданин
    Oh, I see. Thank you, Lampada.

But watch out, Kevin. You say you haven't been warned against learning such a crazy language as Russian.
    Never say that I haven't warned you against eating Russian food.
    I am telling you, Kevin, that after every Russian dinner you will have to jog for an hour so as not to put on weight.
    lol...doesn't sound that much different than American food in that case, Lena...lol

kgcole, I agree that to get the best understanding of a culture, it is best to read and hear what the actual people say, and not what is only said to tourists and through foreign sources.

I was just wondering... we all know that people have an image of a "typical" Thanksgiving or Christmas feast... turkey for thanksgiving, and ham for Christmas. So I was wondering about what is considered a "typical" Thanksgiving or Christmas feast in Russia? Is it largely the same thing, or are there differences in the menu?

Thanksgiving is American national holiday. Why do you thing we should we celebrate it? We don't have such a holiday.

As to the Christmas we do celebrate it, but by Julian calendar, as our Church (Othodox) has not accepted Gregorian one. It is celebrated a week later after the New Year and 2 weeks later after the Catholic one. However, not all of our people are very religious and truly celebrate Christmas, as it due according to Orthodox tradition.

The New Year is a more popular holiday. The menu of the New Year is often includes Champagne and Oliv'e salad. But it's recipe is very different from the European version. I can give it to you, if you wish.

Ah, yes, I forgot about Thanksgiving... my apologies... it was not my purpose to offend anyone. So there is no popular meal that is enjoyed for Christmas in Russia, with those who do celebrate it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast