Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Головной убор

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: Головной убор

In that situation, I think using the word "headwear" would be perfectly fine. Since things you mentioned like turbans wouldn't really fit well under a "hat" category, I think headwear is fine, as it encompasses any possible covering on the head. You could also say something like "Please remove your head coverings" or something of the like.

Завсегдатай

Great! Thank you, brandonp. So "headwear" will do.
    By the way, "head covering" is a direct equivalent of Russian "головной убор" (I was not aware of its existence). But I googled it, and it seems that it's used mostly when talking about religious headwear. Is that true?

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Great! Thank you, brandonp. So "headwear" will do.
    By the way, "head covering" is a direct equivalent of Russian "головной убор" (I was not aware of its existence). But I googled it, and it seems that it's used mostly when talking about religious headwear. Is that true?
    Yes, that's why I didn't suggest it in the beginning. Perhaps someone with very little religious exposure would not make that connection, but I believe most people would.

Also, for your example, 'headgear' would also sound good. In fact, that was the first word that came to my mind when I pictured doing what you described. 'Headwear' is good too, but I'm not sure I would call a helmet 'headwear'. For your example, though, I don't believe it would matter either way. I don't expect the dork wearing the helmet would object. He's probably just happy to be with people.
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Увлечённый спикер

Quote Originally Posted by Matroskin Kot
    ...I'm not sure I would call a helmet 'headwear'.
    Why would you not call a helmet "headwear"? You are wearing it on your head, don't you?
    "Меньше малого довольно, чтобы сердце взволновать; больше самого большого надо, чтоб его разбить."
    Anne Brontё, "Agnes Grey"

Подающий надежды оратор

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow
    Why would you not call a helmet "headwear"? You are wearing it on your head, don't you?
    I think either is acceptable. My personal preference would be "headgear" or "protective headgear", but you will definitely see and hear "protective headwear" as well.

To me, "gear" just seems more businesslike and functional, but that is just my opinion.

Подающий надежды оратор

Yeah, the only difference in connotation I get from "headwear" and "headgear" is that the former seems more casual and everyday, while the latter seems more formal, or even relating more to a sports situation.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow
    I agree with Karras and Brandon.

'Gear' isn't necessarily different from 'wear' by general definition, but to my ear, [something]wear is worn for style or comfort, whilst [something]gear is worn for utility or protection mainly.

The difference probably isn't so great that people would notice if you used them interchangeably, however.
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12