Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10

    BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Anyone old enough to remember the BBC production "Russian: Language and People" from the 80s? It was an excellent beginners video series (20 parts I think), about the Soviet people, geography, commerce, and of course language.

    I've been looking for them for years (I have a few on video, but not great shape unfortunately). I contacted the BBC, but never got a response. Though outdated, they provide good language skills which never really get old (except for idioms perhaps).

    I googled by the way, but only the book and cassettes came up, not the videos. Some schools have the videos, but I doubt they'd be willing to spend the time to dub them for non-students. Perhaps I'm wrong.

    Just curious.
    Thanks.
    ivan

  2. #2
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10
    Well, it turns out I have episodes 1-13 and 16, so I'm missing 14, 15 and 17-20. I've been watching them, put them on my iPod and burned them to DVD so I won't lose them again. Wonderful pieces of history as well.

    There's a part where they're talking about the riches of the Ural Mountains, including Diamonds, Gold, Silver, Nickel, and *ASBESTOES*! Shows the age of the series, but still some great historical information if you can find them for sale on ebay.
    John

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanjs
    Well, it turns out I have episodes 1-13 and 16, so I'm missing 14, 15 and 17-20. I've been watching them, put them on my iPod and burned them to DVD so I won't lose them again. Wonderful pieces of history as well.

    There's a part where they're talking about the riches of the Ural Mountains, including Diamonds, Gold, Silver, Nickel, and *ASBESTOES*! Shows the age of the series, but still some great historical information if you can find them for sale on ebay.
    John
    I recorded them from TV many years ago when PBS played the series. I don't have episodes 5 or 13. Nor do I have the ability to convert to DVD. Maybe we can make some kind of trade? BTW - the Goodbye Summer portion of the show is here:

    http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/ecampus/sla ... byesummer/

    Scott

  4. #4
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    BTW - the Goodbye Summer portion of the show is here:

    http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/ecampus/sla ... byesummer/

    Scott
    Unfortunately the episodes wouldn't play.

    I'd love to share these with folks (legally), but there's of course the copyright issue. Who could I contact at the BBC programming department to get permission to share these? These really are excellent videos for the beginning Russian student, and as I said, they have some excellent historical value as well from the cold war era.

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    10
    so there is no way you could post them as "learning material" on the net? I dont like breaking the law but I feel if its educational purposes and might get you through expensive school, then go ahead.

    are they too big for this site? and I think what you record from Tv is legal because tv is free... well sort of...shhhhh I wont turn you in!

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Krist
    so there is no way you could post them as "learning material" on the net? I dont like breaking the law but I feel if its educational purposes and might get you through expensive school, then go ahead.

    are they too big for this site? and I think what you record from Tv is legal because tv is free... well sort of...shhhhh I wont turn you in!
    I'm not sure "fair use" covers the internet.

  7. #7
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    13
    Don't worry everyone I have just received permission from the bigshots to use anything you have posted here. So everything is as cool as possum pie, so just fix the link so I can download. DDT
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Don't worry everyone I have just received permission from the bigshots to use anything you have posted here. So everything is as cool as possum pie, so just fix the link so I can download. DDT
    Is it really necessary to sign your screenname?...

  9. #9
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Is it really necessary to sign your screenname?...
    Oh yes. This is very necessary Mr Challenger, Sir. It is written into the Master Russian bylaws. And I must say that I am very surprised that you did not already know about this very important and downright decent addition to the rules of conduct, Your Holiness, as it is common knowlege to all of us scallywags and street slouching, sewer slurpers who have skipped confession for the last.......well, since birth, Your Honourable Mister Priestliness. But I am sure that everything will be just peachy alright for you, Your Wallowing Wig-Wam of Worthiness, as long as you confess your unintentional though thoughtless mistake before Master Russian and be sure to say 10 Hail Mary's and 3 cheers for the Queen of England (God bless her, I just love that bitch) and cut back to just one pack a day on the Menthol Kool cigarettes for two weeks.
    But make a note of it, Your Righteousness Salivating With Celebacy.....this recklessness will go on your record!

    Signed DDT
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  10. #10
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,624
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Is it really necessary to sign your screenname?...
    Oh yes. This is very necessary Mr Challenger, Sir. It is written into the Master Russian bylaws. And I must say that I am very surprised that you did not already know about this very important and downright decent addition to the rules of conduct, Your Holiness, as it is common knowlege to all of us scallywags and street slouching, sewer slurpers who have skipped confession for the last.......well, since birth, Your Honourable Mister Priestliness. But I am sure that everything will be just peachy alright for you, Your Wallowing Wig-Wam of Worthiness, as long as you confess your unintentional though thoughtless mistake before Master Russian and be sure to say 10 Hail Mary's and 3 cheers for the Queen of England (God bless her, I just love that bitch) and cut back to just one pack a day on the Menthol Kool cigarettes for two weeks.
    But make a note of it, Your Righteousness Salivating With Celebacy.....this recklessness will go on your record!

    Signed DDT
    Как витиевато написано! Ну и пастухи пошли в наше время!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  11. #11
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10
    Just a quick follow-up:
    Heard back from BBC and as suspected, they won't allow publishing or trading or copying their programs. Очень жаль.

  12. #12
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    This link works for the "Goodbye Summer" videos and exercises:

    http://media.humnet.ucla.edu/depts/slav ... byesummer/

    Scott

  13. #13
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Антверпен, Бельгия.
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    8

    Hi Scott

    I went on the site by your link, I went to 'exercise language ', and clicked exercise 1, when I clicked on the blue square for the exercise, I got this error message: HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

    Bye,

    Chris.

    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    This link works for the "Goodbye Summer" videos and exercises:

    http://media.humnet.ucla.edu/depts/slav ... byesummer/

    Scott
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки, любые предложения приветствуются, большое спасибо.

    Please correct my grammar errors and writing mistakes,spasibo

  14. #14
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Hi Scott

    Quote Originally Posted by Крис иэ Антверпен
    I went on the site by your link, I went to 'exercise language ', and clicked exercise 1, when I clicked on the blue square for the exercise, I got this error message: HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

    Bye,

    Chris.

    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    This link works for the "Goodbye Summer" videos and exercises:

    http://media.humnet.ucla.edu/depts/slav ... byesummer/

    Scott
    Worked for me - a PDF file displayed fine.

    Scott

  15. #15
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Hi, I'm looking for episode 16 of this series, it's the only one I have missing. Maybe do a swap with one of you who has other episodes missing? I'm currently transferring the episodes I do have from video to DVD.

  16. #16
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherboy
    Hi, I'm looking for episode 16 of this series, it's the only one I have missing. Maybe do a swap with one of you who has other episodes missing? I'm currently transferring the episodes I do have from video to DVD.
    I do have episodes missing. I do have episode 16. Too drunk to see which ones I'm missing. Let's chat. Not now though.

    Scott

  17. #17
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherboy
    Hi, I'm looking for episode 16 of this series, it's the only one I have missing. Maybe do a swap with one of you who has other episodes missing? I'm currently transferring the episodes I do have from video to DVD.
    I do have episodes missing. I do have episode 16. Too drunk to see which ones I'm missing. Let's chat. Not now though.

    Scott
    When you've sobered up let me know which ones you have missing and we can arrange a swap.

  18. #18
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    I do have episodes missing. I do have episode 16. Too drunk to see which ones I'm missing. Let's chat. Not now though.

    Scott
    Your missing episodes are now on DVD. Let me know how you'd like to do the swap.

  19. #19
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: BBC "Russian Language and People" Videos?

    Scott - do you now have the missing episodes?

Similar Threads

  1. "Old people" in russian
    By chinaski-ita in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 24th, 2010, 09:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
  3. How to say "Bless our home" and "Happy Holidays" in Russian?
    By Ruby Daniels in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
  4. "new" people/ Newbie area
    By capecoddah in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: March 31st, 2006, 04:39 PM
  5. Have a question about "ABAZA" a language/folk ?!
    By harbay in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary