Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Grandmother Was Polish...

Подающий надежды оратор
    Well, There isn't a lot of activity in the Polish Lounge, so, why stop a thread?

Почётный участник
    Evgenija, oczywiście - o-ch-i-vish-chye

the i - is similar to a russian unstressed i eg in the word Iz rossII., ok

hehe

dziękuję bardzo, closet i can write in - Jen-koo-ye Bard-zo

sorry if it doesn
    * Y desde mi ventana
    son m

Почтенный гражданин
    Evgenia and Pasha, cut that out. How dare one actually use Polish in the Polish Lounge. You guys are so off topic.

Почтенный гражданин
    My GreatGrandMother was Polish, from Balistuk(I hope I wrote it correctly), she immigrated with her doughter(my grandmother) when she was 9, to Moscow. My mom says that GreatGrandMa, spoke Polish fluently all her life and used to speak on it with her daughter and my mother a little too. My mother doesn't speak it fluently but knows a little, like some sentences and words, and I understand some of Polish too, because there are pretty solid quantity of words in Polish that r the same as on Russian.

sometimes there r some words that r not the same as russian but the same as Ukrainian, like Thank you that Pasha said "dziękuję" - дякую(Dyakuyu) or love - (kohayu)
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Почётный участник
    Maybe the Poles tend to vote for dark-haired candidates ?
    Here in the USA, it's been shown in studies that dark-haired men excel in business and politics.
    Apparently, they're considered more trustworthy.

By the way, it seemed to me that Podillia and Volyn had quite a lot of blondes.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by brett
    Dzien dobry, wszelki. Jak sie pan miewa?

I don't really know how some families develop a 'really' blonde gene, as opposed to blonde/brown, in Eastern European countries. Hungary seems to have a larger percentage of white-haired's compared with other Eastern European countries. Though I'm sure a photo-gallery could be provided on their dark-haired populous , there is a linguistic link to back this one up. Hungarian is linguistically linked with Finnish (way back), and Finns most certainly have more blondes than Poland.

Though the court trial is over in relation to 'most' Poles being blonde, there is a minority who seem to have strikingly light coloured hair. Norwegian like. I'm guessing that the Norse conquests made their way into certain parts of Poland.
    My question; Is there any minority group in Poland which acknowledges any Norse ancestry?

Side note- I do like your photo evidence, Guest . But to play lawyer for a second- I'll pick you up on the fact that those Russian soldiers' hair ...is bleached. (though maybe you knew that).
    I'm not sure which Norse conquests you've alluded to but there have been many migrations of peoples across the lands of central Europe. Slavs and Teutons have given and taken territory, and undoubtedly assimilated many of each other. As evidence of this: In earlier times, Slavs lived further west, along most of the Elbe river, leaving behind several Slavic place-names in Germany, including 'Dresden.' And, of course, there is 'Gdańsk,' meaning 'Gothic.'

If Slavs and Teutons resemble one another, it's because they've lived side-by-side (with the Balts) for at least three thousand years.

I hope you weren't referring to the Norse "invasion" of Rus' that never happened.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123