Thread: "Понятие" и "административный ресурс"

Почтенный гражданин

"Понятие" и "административный ресурс"

Hi guys!

Suppose I'd like to tell in English the next sentences:
    a) В Америке отсутствует само понятие коммунальной квартиры
    b) События и сообщения - это различные понятия в терминах операционной системы
    c) Это понятие уже устарело. Оно было связано с Великой депрессией 30-х годов прошлого века.

If I say the sentences below would it be correctly?
    a) There's no concept itself about a communal flat in the U.S.
    b) The events and the messages are different concepts in the terms of operating system. (I suspect it's not correct as I translated word by word )
    c) This concept is obsolete. It related to the Great depression which took place in the 30s of the past age.

First of all I am interested in using the word "concept" as a translation of the word "понятие"

I listen to the radio, watch TV and I often hear the phrases in Russian "административный ресурс", "задействован административный ресурс", "широкое использование административного ресурса". Therefore I wanted to know how should I say it in English. I looked at the http://multitran.ru/ and found a translation of this concept. It reads: "advantages of administrative offices"

So I'd like to know does it sound good in English or I have to use another phrase for it?

Почётный участник

Re: "Понятие" и "административный ресурс"

Quote Originally Posted by astronomer
    Suppose I'd like to tell in English the next sentences:

(word order is wrong)

tell = tell someone something in particular, for more general use use say as you next wrote.

If I say the sentences below would it be correctly? (use the adjective not the adverb)
    a) There's no concept itself about a communal flat in the U.S. In the US they have no concept of communal flats.
    b) The events and the messages are different concepts in the terms of operating system. (I suspect it's not correct as I translated word by word ;-they are two different things
    c) This concept is obsolete. It related to the Great depression which took place in the 30s of the past age,

First of all I am interested in using the word " concept" as a translation of the word "понятие"

I listen to :-) the radio, watch TV and I often hear the phrases in Russian "административный ресурс", "задействован административный ресурс", "широкое использование администраивного ресурса". Therefore I wanted to know how should I say it in English. I looked at the http://multitran.ru/ and found a translation of this concept. It reads: "advantages of administrative offices"

So I'd like to know does it sound good in English or I have to use another phrase for it?
    1 For 1c) concept is OK here, but I prefer "idea". A concept is an understanding or a gradual discovery or learning about something, knowledge about something. Sometimes other words like "idea"mean the same thing. eg "He has no idea how to .... he has no concept of how to do this. Concept is more formal.

2 Жаль, что все молчают на этот интeрeсный вопрос.

May be "the weight of government departments"

Почтенный гражданин

Re: "Понятие" и "административный ресурс"

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    [...]
    Thanks for the explanations, Mandy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    2 Жаль, что все молчат на этот интeрeсный вопрос.

May be "the weight of government departments"
    И не говори!.. Молчат как рыба об лёд.

Подающий надежды оратор
    "широкое использование администраивного ресурса"

My two cents,
    -A strong use of government power.
    or
    -A broad use the administration's power.