Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: "venti"

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    "venti"

    I'll order a grande on most days, a venti when I need the extra boost.

    It's about cofee, so I suppose "grande" is a big cup, but what's venti?

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    A Starbuck's twenty ounce (568 ml - huge) coffee drink (from italian (?) venti -20?)
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    A Starbuck's twenty ounce coffee drink (from italian (?) venti -20?)
    So how many ounces is a grande? It's less than venti, isn't it?

  4. #4
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    A Starbuck's twenty ounce coffee drink (from italian (?) venti -20?)
    So how many ounces is a grande? It's less than venti, isn't it?
    technically, "grande" is not a standard measure of volume, it's just starbucks' lingo, but according to wiki:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks

    it's 16 oz.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    A Starbuck's twenty ounce coffee drink (from italian (?) venti -20?)
    So how many ounces is a grande? It's less than venti, isn't it?
    technically, "grande" is not a standard measure of volume, it's just starbucks' lingo, but according to wiki:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks

    it's 16 oz.
    Oh, thanks. Next time I'll check wikipedia before bothering others.

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    That's all right, and you're welcome. You have to start somewhere.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  7. #7
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Me? In order to prevent confusion I do not use Starbucks lingo, I just say, "I would like a really big cup of coffee, please."

    They get the idea every time no matter where.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    I just wonder how many people get heart attacks drinking 568 ml cups of coffee on a regular basis..

  9. #9
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Me? In order to prevent confusion I do not use Starbucks lingo, I just say, "I would like a really big cup of coffee, please."

    They get the idea every time no matter where.
    I like to argue with them. Ask for a "small". They'll tell you they only have "medium" and "large". Tell them that makes the "medium" a "small" by default.

    One of two things will happen. They stare blankly at you for 30 seconds and then run to ask the manager ... or their head explodes.
    —Ravin' Dave

  10. #10
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDave


    One of two things will happen. They stare blankly at you for 30 seconds and then run to ask the manager ... or their head explodes.
    Oh yeah! I have had that happen frequently, especially in coffee shops in Australia where it is next to impossible to get a regular brewed coffee even when it is listed on their menu above their heads on the wall.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Rep Power
    11
    Actually, I read somewhere that they in fact have such a thing as a small cup, and there is a price for it, but it was removed from the publicly displayed menu. But if you ask for it specifically, you should be able to get it.

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин BabaYaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDave
    I like to argue with them. Ask for a "small". They'll tell you they only have "medium" and "large". Tell them that makes the "medium" a "small" by default.

    One of two things will happen. They stare blankly at you for 30 seconds and then run to ask the manager ... or their head explodes.
    *ROTFL* - now that is exactly what my hubby is always telling me not to do in coffee shops and restaurants!
    He feels sorry for them, bless 'im!
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

  13. #13
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    Actually, I read somewhere that they in fact have such a thing as a small cup, and there is a price for it, but it was removed from the publicly displayed menu. But if you ask for it specifically, you should be able to get it.
    laxxy ... I suspect it's a psychological thing. No one wants to sell or buy a "small" anything (maybe it's an American thing). They want the customer to think they are getting their money's worth. So, instead of small/medium/large we get regular/large/giant.

    Just word games. But I'll check on those small cups. I'm kind of curious now.
    —Ravin' Dave

  14. #14
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDave
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    Actually, I read somewhere that they in fact have such a thing as a small cup, and there is a price for it, but it was removed from the publicly displayed menu. But if you ask for it specifically, you should be able to get it.
    laxxy ... I suspect it's a psychological thing. No one wants to sell or buy a "small" anything (maybe it's an American thing). They want the customer to think they are getting their money's worth. So, instead of small/medium/large we get regular/large/giant.

    Just word games. But I'll check on those small cups. I'm kind of curious now.
    I was perhaps thinking about this:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/

  15. #15
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    I was perhaps thinking about this:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/
    Nice link! Fascinating stuff.
    —Ravin' Dave

  16. #16
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    More irritating to me than the lack of a small is when they offer something larger than a large. I don't drink coffee so I'm talking about sodas here, but when I'm dying of thirst and I want the maximum amount of beverage offered I hate when I order a large and then realize I should have asked for the 'mucho grande' or some crap.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM
  3. How to say "Bless our home" and "Happy Holidays" in Russian?
    By Ruby Daniels in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
  5. British "property" vs. "realty" or "
    By Propp in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 12th, 2003, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary