Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: a short video with English subs

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    a short video with English subs

    I came across this vid and thought it might be useful for people learning English. The speaker talks in a way that might be hard to understand but there are subs.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqWi2AS1M6Q
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  2. #2
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out In The Boondocks
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    The speaker talks in a way that might be hard to understand
    I wonder how hard it is for native speakers to understand.
    Without the subs in this video would you have been able to make out each and every word on one hearing?
    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

  3. #3
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Russia
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: a short video with English subs

    With sperk’s intriguing foreword and mechanic’s being a bad boy today working with that nasty magic concoction of his without goggles and safety gloves on I thought I was about to witness the embarrassment of the century, no less, but not only everyone survived in the end but was good to go too. So much for the entertainment for today?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай rockzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast, United States
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Schrödinger's cat
    The speaker talks in a way that might be hard to understand
    I wonder how hard it is for native speakers to understand.
    Without the subs in this video would you have been able to make out each and every word on one hearing?
    I am native American English speaker and grew up not far from Reading, PA. I turned off the closed captions and listened to him. Now if you know about me... I am a "mechanically inferior female" so this video was a "little" challenging to me as I knew nothing about the topics .

    I will admit he does slur/mumble a few of his words and speaks a little fast. However, I could make out what he was saying. Some of his words took a couple of milliseconds for my brain to process.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

  5. #5
    Hanna
    Guest

    Re: a short video with English subs

    I have not trouble at all understanding him and I thought his video was pretty good....

    But he is speaking fast, mumbling, and using lots of "Americanisms" (US-typical expressions). Not a problem for most of his audience, probably.
    But this is not really a good example to use when you are learning English...

    Also, be aware that in the US, many people (such as this man) don't use adverbs. They basically ignore this whole word class and use the adjective where there would normally be an adverb. For example, he says: "Sand this down, nice and smooth...." (gramatically correct; sand this down nicely and smoothly.... OR sand this down until it is nice and smooth... )

    India English and Singapore/Hong kong English - that's a challenge for me sometimes!

  6. #6
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Got about 90% without subs. It's not a problem to understand him when he's saying 3-5 words fast. The problem is when he's firing tons of words like a mashine-gun like at 1:15 Make it nice and smooth and tatatatata....blablabla

    Here's whom I get all of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeNXRHBnpA She's the best!! Fond of it!! (Though her G's stick too much all around the stuff).
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    But this is not really a good example to use when you are learning English...
    I wish I could get bad examples like this in Russian so I could learn how people speak in real life situations as opposed to scripts and texts.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  8. #8
    Hanna
    Guest

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene-p
    Here's whom I get all of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeNXRHBnpA She's the best!! Fond of it!! (Though her G's stick too much all around the stuff).
    Haha, it's good you understand her, since she is an English teacher :wink

    But she speaks a bit faster and more advanced than:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwJOzviRxw

    (I am beyond that stage now... Я клянусь! )

  9. #9
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    I came across this vid and thought it might be useful for people learning English. The speaker talks in a way that might be hard to understand but there are subs.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqWi2AS1M6Q
    I dont think it should pose any problems for non natives, the guys speech is very distinct and easily intelligible. I've heard some people whom even I had to listen to attentively to understand what they said.
    And there arent any terms uttered in the vid that a lay person isnt familiar with. Well, at least i should think so. He isnt talking over the head of an average us guy with a car. Hehe

    Judging by the accent he's from the south, Texas probably. Though I may be in the wrong
    Aint it a shame you cant say fu_ck?
    Fu_ck is just a word and it's all fu_cked up.

  10. #10
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    Also, be aware that in the US, many people (such as this man) don't use adverbs. They basically ignore this whole word class and use the adjective where there would normally be an adverb. For example, he says: "Sand this down, nice and smooth...." (gramatically correct; sand this down nicely and smoothly.... OR sand this down until it is nice and smooth... )
    I'll have you know that he in fact said "sand it down till its nice and smooth". What you wrote sounds off.
    Actually, saying that in the usa people dont use adverbs is complete balderdash. We use adverbs indeed. We use them a lot.
    Aint it a shame you cant say fu_ck?
    Fu_ck is just a word and it's all fu_cked up.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy Go Lucky
    Actually, saying that in the usa people dont use adverbs is complete balderdash. We use adverbs indeed. We use them a lot.
    Of course they use adverbs. But sometimes they use adjectives instead of adverbs, right?

    The first time I noticed this "phenomena" was when I watched some Hollywood movie about a friendship between a kid and an old guy (a mentor/student type of movie). The kid was asking for something and said "I want this bad". The old guy corrected her (or him) immediately: "I want this BAD-LY", and the kid was like "Grrr.. ok". It was funny.

  12. #12
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: a short video with English subs

    (I am beyond that stage now... Я клянусь! )
    I wish I could check it out :wink

    I like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx68drYztlk too. Very enterteining as well as useful.

    I'll have you know that he in fact said "sand it down till its nice and smooth". What you wrote sounds off.
    As well as he says don't instead of doesn't as shown in subs.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  13. #13
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out In The Boondocks
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Sperk wrote:
    I wish I could get bad examples like this in Russian so I could learn how people speak in real life situations as opposed to scripts and texts.
    Try this one and see how hard it is for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9pJF...eature=popular
    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Schrödinger's cat
    Sperk wrote:
    I wish I could get bad examples like this in Russian so I could learn how people speak in real life situations as opposed to scripts and texts.
    Try this one and see how hard it is for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9pJF...eature=popular
    I didn't get much of that. It's useless as a pedagogical device.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай rockzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast, United States
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    I didn't get much of that. It's useless as a pedagogical device.
    hehehehe... I just love this forum...

    "pedagogical"
    Could you please use the word in a sentence?
    May I have the origin of the word please?
    May I have the definition please?
    Are there any other ways to pronounce the word?

    "pedagogical, p-e-d-a-g-o-g-i-c-a-l, pedagogical"
    ding
    "I win?"
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

  16. #16
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Could you please use the word in a sentence?
    May I have the origin of the word please?
    May I have the definition please?
    Are there any other ways to pronounce the word?
    You've left out the "May I have the spelling of the word please?"

    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Lol, and which of the two are you speaking now?
    I think it best that you warn us well in advance when you switch to "bad English" to prevent it from rubbing off on the Russians.
    Aint it a shame you cant say fu_ck?
    Fu_ck is just a word and it's all fu_cked up.

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай rockzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast, United States
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy Go Lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Lol, and which of the two are you speaking now?
    I think it best that you warn us well in advance when you switch to "bad English" to prevent it from rubbing off on the Russians.
    I didn't used to be soooo bad. Darn medication and headaches... It's why I had to stop work and don't participate as much on the forum these days.

    BTW... the line comes from here (click on photo to watch):
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

  18. #18
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I didn't used to be soooo bad. Darn medication and headaches... It's why I had to stop work and don't participate as much on the forum these days.
    Sorry if i inadvertently offended you, as god is my witness I was just joking. I didnt mean my (maybe awkwardly worded) quip seriously (and you seem to have taken it that way),
    Your english is ok as far as i'm concerned.
    Aint it a shame you cant say fu_ck?
    Fu_ck is just a word and it's all fu_cked up.

  19. #19
    Завсегдатай rockzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast, United States
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: a short video with English subs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy Go Lucky
    Sorry if i inadvertently offended you, as god is my witness I was just joking. I didnt mean my (maybe awkwardly worded) quip seriously (and you seem to have taken it that way),
    Your english is ok as far as i'm concerned.
    No prob... no blood, no foul! or is it fowl? or is it goooooaaaalllll?
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Similar Threads

  1. Help with English to Russian short translation!
    By azilis in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
  2. A short one. Russian -> English, please.
    By Aurix in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
  3. Short translation from Japanese to English...
    By JJames in forum Japanese
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
  4. "Holidays of Petrov and Vasechkin" (+English Subs)
    By gRomoZeka in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
  5. Help with a short english letter to Russian?
    By underscore in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 29th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary