Thread: phrases

Старший оракул

phrases

could you give me the explanation to the following sentences:

1. Since joining Op-Center 6 years ago, he was up to his cleft chin in substance

2. Often he ended up learning on job. But even international confrontation gave him satisfaction he would not have gotten from negotiating product placement in movies for deodorant or beverage brands

thanks in advance

Почтенный гражданин

Re: phrases

Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    could you give me the explanation to the following sentences:

1. Since joining Op-Center 6 years ago, he was up to his cleft chin in substance

2. Often he ended up learning on job. But even international confrontation gave him satisfaction he would not have gotten from negotiating product placement in movies for deodorant or beverage brands

thanks in advance
    For 1.

We also say, (common english) 'Up to his ass in work'. It just means he was/is very busy... so busy that he can't be bothered with anything... outside work, or family. Strange English translation, but understandable.

For 2.

Where did this come from? Translation from a novel? The translation is not clear, it is irregular and does not make sense in English. I think I understand the general "gest" (idea)... but that's not a good English translation.

Dobry

For 2. Re-translation I reckon...
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Почтенный гражданин
    "up to his cleft chin" maybe means "сыт по горло"
    Я взял палку и нож, мелки и бумагу и направился к холмам.

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    I don't think these are bad translations at all. Rather, I think they're the work of a British author, who's being cute with his wording. Then again, maybe I'm off my rocker.

1. Dobry, as usual, is right here. I think the "cleft chin" part though has to do with the author speaking about a specific character in a story. It's just a way being cute. You know Jay Leno and his chin, right Dobry? I think it's similar in that way; I'd say to you, Dobry, "Jay Leno's show sucked last night -- he was up to his butt-chin in crap last night -- his jokes just didn't work." You see what I mean? I think your meaning is accurate, I just think this author is making a character-specific joke.

2. This one is more difficult. These two lines don't give you the full context, and they sound kind of funny -- but again, I think it's "I'm a snarky Brit" funny and not "I ran this through Babelfish this morning." The idea, so far as I can tell, is he's just saying he likes the confrontation and excitement of thumbing his nose at people rather than doing his more conventional work. He's being a PITA (ohhhh I need to add that one to the net-slang thread!) and enjoying it.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Почтенный гражданин
    Other than the word 'the' missing from the second phrase (on the job) it sounds perfectly normal to me. I think it relies heavily on the context to make any sense though.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Other than the word 'the' missing from the second phrase (on the job) it sounds perfectly normal to me. I think it relies heavily on the context to make any sense though.
    Give me the phrase, that you think sounds normal.

Still, it doesn't sound normal. (#2)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    I don't think these are bad translations at all. Rather, I think they're the work of a British author, who's being cute with his wording. Then again, maybe I'm off my rocker.

1. Dobry, as usual, is right here. I think the "cleft chin" part though has to do with the author speaking about a specific character in a story. It's just a way being cute. You know Jay Leno and his chin, right Dobry? I think it's similar in that way; I'd say to you, Dobry, "Jay Leno's show sucked last night -- he was up to his butt-chin in cr@p last night -- his jokes just didn't work." You see what I mean? I think your meaning is accurate, I just think this author is making a character-specific joke.
    Yep, I agree with you. It's just not the clearest expression to give to a non-native. But you're right.

Завсегдатай
    Что касается меня, эти предложения звучат естественно. Если бы вы знали контекст, то я уверен, что вам было бы вполне понятно, что имел в виду автор.

Я думаю, что допустимо сказать "on job". Это относится к выражению "on-job training". Так предложение звучит более разговорно, хотя несмотря на это, лучше сказать "оn the job".

Это просто дело стиля.