Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Nerd and geek

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Azerbaijan, Baku
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11

    Nerd and geek

    Could you explain the difference between a nerd and a geek to me? And what exactly those words mean.
    Люди с годами не меняются, они просто все больше становятся самими собой.

  2. #2
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    ---
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Also, I think you'll find that geek can have a kind of positive connotation in some sense, where as nerd not so much? I think the point of geek being technologically linked is right. And to that end, some people are self-described geeks -- it's kind of a fact their proud of, since it means hanging out with a certain group of guys who write computer programs, do MacGyver stuff, make a ton of money, etc.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    Good explanation, Charlestonian.

  5. #5
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    ---
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  6. #6
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Also, I think you'll find that geek can have a kind of positive connotation in some sense, where as nerd not so much? I think the point of geek being technologically linked is right. And to that end, some people are self-described geeks -- it's kind of a fact their proud of, since it means hanging out with a certain group of guys who write computer programs, do MacGyver stuff, make a ton of money, etc.
    Take Bill Gates, for example
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  7. #7
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Azerbaijan, Baku
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11
    Thanks for your help. But I think I heard 'You, nerd!' in a book and it was said rather contemptuously. Then can 'nerd' be abusive and if yes - to what extent?
    Люди с годами не меняются, они просто все больше становятся самими собой.

  8. #8
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,635
    Rep Power
    31
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    I'd say the meanings are very similar and depend on the user. Someone is hardly going to notice the difference in a normal conversation.

    And yes, either can be offensive to some degree depending on the situation...

  10. #10
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    ---
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    I'd say the meanings are very similar and depend on the user. Someone is hardly going to notice the difference in a normal conversation.

    And yes, either can be offensive to some degree depending on the situation...
    basurero, is correct...

    The meanings can be used similarily in spoken English, and can depend on the user. And both can be offensive, depending on the use and situation.

    Or the meanings can also be positive sometimes. "Best Buy", one the largest electronics stores in the U.S. has teams of highly-skilled Windows/ Macintosh experts, that are called "The Geek Squads" that service on-site computers. Here, "The Geek Squad" is used as a positive.

    And many geeks work for the CIA, NSA, and our National Reconnaissaince Office... three of the most powerful agencies of the U.S. Very respected and high-paying jobs.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry

    Or the meanings can also be positive sometimes. "Best Buy", one the largest electronics stores in the U.S. has teams of highly-skilled Windows/ Macintosh experts, that are called "The Geek Squads" that service on-site computers. Here, "The Geek Squad" is used as a positive.
    Best Buy may mean those words as a positive, but anybody familiar with Best Buy shudders in horror at hearing that term.

    And many geeks work for the CIA, NSA, and our National Reconnaissaince Office... three of the most powerful agencies of the U.S. Very respected and high-paying jobs.
    "Our" National Reconnaissance Office? Do you work there? Or did you buy a few shares on the NASDAQ? It was just weird that you said "the" CIA and "the" NSA, but "our" NRO.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  13. #13
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    I'd say the meanings are very similar and depend on the user. Someone is hardly going to notice the difference in a normal conversation.

    And yes, either can be offensive to some degree depending on the situation...
    Да, я согласен. Это все равно что спрашивать в чем разница между "надо" и "нужно". Эти два слова одинаковы по значаению и выбор какое из них использовать целиком возлагается на юзера.

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry

    Or the meanings can also be positive sometimes. "Best Buy", one the largest electronics stores in the U.S. has teams of highly-skilled Windows/ Macintosh experts, that are called "The Geek Squads" that service on-site computers. Here, "The Geek Squad" is used as a positive.
    Best Buy may mean those words as a positive, but anybody familiar with Best Buy shudders in horror at hearing that term.
    Yea, I know... but I have met a few 'Geeks' at Best Buy who were experts at tuning and working on overclocked gaming systems... such as Voodoo. I'm not saying Best Buy is 'best'... just giving an example of a 'positive' use of 'geek'. Don't read so much into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    And many geeks work for the CIA, NSA, and our National Reconnaissaince Office... three of the most powerful agencies of the U.S. Very respected and high-paying jobs.
    "Our" National Reconnaissance Office? Do you work there? Or did you buy a few shares on the NASDAQ? It was just weird that you said "the" CIA and "the" NSA, but "our" NRO.
    You're on a rant today, Бармалей!

    I used "our" NRO, to mean the U.S. NRO, instead of implying some other nation, such as Britain, etc. Most people, including most Americans, have never even HEARD of the NRO, or know what it does.

    But the 'CIA', and 'NSA' are very commonly known, all over the world... NRO is not.

    Relax, chill... take a break and go grab some coffee.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry

    Relax, chill... take a break and go grab some coffee.
    Oh, I wasn't ranting at all. I was just taking an opportunity to make fun of Bass Buoy -- your example I understood. And I was really just curious why you made it posessive in the case of NRO. And you forgot those guys who work on the spaceships at Area 51. Shame on you. There was no underlying dis, burn, or anything else. So, actually it was you who was reading something into it: you read into it that I was reading into it something. :P Anyway, go drink that coffee.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  16. #16
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Azerbaijan, Baku
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11
    So can I say mm... 'I'm a nerd'. Meaning that I know programming languages, computers and all that stuff? Wouldn't it sound kinda silly?
    "I'm a geek" could be a better choice then?
    Люди с годами не меняются, они просто все больше становятся самими собой.

  17. #17
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    nerd -- это ботан.
    geek -- это типа "фанат". Фанат компьютеров там, или я не знаю что еще ты придумаешь.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  18. #18
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Azerbaijan, Baku
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    nerd -- это ботан.
    geek -- это типа "фанат". Фанат компьютеров там, или я не знаю что еще ты придумаешь.
    Спасибо. Почему в словаре nerd часто как "зануда" переводится? Не пойму.
    Люди с годами не меняются, они просто все больше становятся самими собой.

  19. #19
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    Потому что двуязычные словари suck greatly (не придирайтесь к этому suck greatly высказыванию. Мне оно правда оч. нравится)
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Similar Threads

  1. jeek, geek, geekdom - расскажите поподробнее об этих словах
    By mishau_ in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary