Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a slang word

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    "Y'all?" Are you also from the South? Where at?
    Nope, I am from the West I just was inspired by a question I just received from a Russian: "WTF does 'howdy y'all' mean????"
    Gotcha . So, what did you tell that Russian? BTW, I am from the South.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Завсегдатай
    What's about that? (Though it's probably not what you're looking for )

Peel your eyeballs - Be on the lookout (CB-slang)
    http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html

Nope, I am from the West I just was inspired by a question I just received from a Russian: "WTF does 'howdy y'all' mean????"
    What could I say? It simply is a convoluted way to say hello! Literally it means: How do you do, you all!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    I think you can put there any colorful phrase you like even if it's not wide known, because it's obvious what you mean from the rest of the sentence.
    Not for native English-speakers... imagery and metaphor do not always translate easily between English and Russian... I use Tarkovsky, Pelevin, Gogol and Bulgakov as suitable examples.

[quote=kalinka_vinnie]
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":2h8f3bpo
    What could I say? It simply is a convoluted way to say hello! Literally it means: How do you do, you all![/quote:2h8f3bpo]

Well, you ain't whistlin' Dixie
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=kalinka_vinnie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":3en6myqi
    Well, I don't want to give away the plot, but no, not prison cells. It doesn't really matter, though

I tried to put "sleep on it tonight", but that didn't fit either!
    I assume you're joking... but I meant "let me think on it tonight."
    Ohhh reeeeaallllyyyyy!

And don't worry about giving away part of the plot, if it helps us help you... your story is protected under U.S. Copyright laws. This is part of my business.
    riculim VitaeJeez, professor, writer, editor, copyright protector, what aren't you?[/quote:3en6myqi]

Do you want my whole Curriculum Vitae? Or just the short version?

For understanding U.S Copyright law, I possess a doctoral degree in Law... my emphasis is in international business law, and international contract law... I'm a professor and consultant of advanced English for international lawyers and foreign business people, to help enable accurate business negotiations between the U.S. and Europe/Russia.

I like to write and edit fiction, for fun... a few stories have been published.

My father began having me reading classic literature when I was about 7 years of age, on Greek dramas, comedies, and Homer. He wrangled a set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica's "Great Books" from a patient who needed minor surgery, but had no money. At 6 years of age I began to watch my father's surgeries, to learn medicine and human anatomy.

But my interest was in philosophy and theology. My studies of various world theologies began when I was around 10 years old. My biggest regret in life, was not pursuing my Ph.D in Systematic/ Progressive Theology when I had the chance.

Though... my nature, my soul, is to teach.

But, I continue to study and read literature.

Want me to continue? No need I think.

[quote=Dobry]
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":8rx2qkpe
    Well, I don't want to give away the plot, but no, not prison cells. It doesn't really matter, though

I tried to put "sleep on it tonight", but that didn't fit either!
    I assume you're joking... but I meant "let me think on it tonight."
    Ohhh reeeeaallllyyyyy!

And don't worry about giving away part of the plot, if it helps us help you... your story is protected under U.S. Copyright laws. This is part of my business.
    riculim VitaeJeez, professor, writer, editor, copyright protector, what aren't you?

For understanding U.S Copyright law, I possess a doctoral degree in Law... my emphasis is in international business law, and international contract law... I'm a professor and consultant of advanced English for international lawyers and foreign business people, to help enable accurate business negotiations between the U.S. and Europe/Russia.

My father began me reading classic literature when I was about 7 years of age, on Greek dramas, comedies, and Homer. My studies of various world theologies began when I was around 10 years old. My biggest regret in life, was not pursuing my Ph.D in Systematic/ Progressive Theology when I had the chance.

Want me to continue? No need I think. [/quote:8rx2qkpe]

Pretty impressive...

Почтенный гражданин
    Pretty impressive...
    Thanks, but it's not meant to be impressive...

Each person has their own path, own journey... I feel shame for some of the choices I've made... but I'm not ashamed to admit that there were transitional times that I've scrubbed toilets, and scooped dog poo, so I could earn enough money for my next meal.

My father and grandfather always taught me to respect everyone... and to NEVER disrespect another person, even if he or she was cleaning sewers or emptying rubbish... and this is the way I learned.

To feed the people I love... yep, I'll scrub toilets and work in sewers if necessary. A valuable lesson.

Pretty impressive...
    Thanks, but it's not meant to be impressive...

Each person has their own path, own journey... I feel shame for some of the choices I've made... but I'm not ashamed to admit that there were transitional times that I've scrubbed toilets, and scooped dog poo, so I could earn enough money for my next meal.

My father and grandfather always taught me to respect, and NEVER disrespect another person, even if he or she was cleaning sewers or emptying rubbish... and this is the way I learned.

To feed the people I love... yep, I'll scrub toilets and work in sewers if necessary. A valuable lesson.
    Wow... And you made it. Cool.

My father began having me reading classic literature when I was about 7 years of age, on Greek dramas, comedies, and Homer. He wrangled a set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica's "Great Books" from a patient who needed minor surgery, but had no money. At 6 years of age I began to watch my father's surgeries, to learn medicine and human anatomy.

But my interest was in philosophy and theology. My studies of various world theologies began when I was around 10 years old. My biggest regret in life, was not pursuing my Ph.D in Systematic/ Progressive Theology when I had the chance.

But, I continue to study and read literature.

Want me to continue? No need I think.
    But you look so young, or is it the tall, lustrous beer that is diverting my attention? Anyway, don't worry about the translation, we're going to use TATY's suggestion

Почтенный гражданин

But you look so young, or is it the tall, lustrous beer that is diverting my attention? Anyway, don't worry about the translation, we're going to use TATY's suggestion
    I didn't see TATY'S suggestion... but I would trust it, I'm sure.

And yep... I'm older than I look.

I can't believe I wrote that last post! Sorry guys, I normally don't spout-off my life to people ... I think it was the 4 margarita cocktails I drank with some friends before I wrote it... but it is all true.

I still would like that beer...

Почтенный гражданин
    I still would like that beer...
    Let's meet at "The Peppersack" in Old Tallinn, and I'll buy you one... they have really great beer in Estonia.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    That beer is flat....look there is no head on it! Dobry is obviously sitting in a bar nursing that beer until he can find a sugar mama to pick up his tab.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

I didn't see TATY'S suggestion... but I would trust it, I'm sure.

And yep... I'm older than I look.

I can't believe I wrote that last post! Sorry guys, I normally don't spout-off my life to people ... I think it was the 4 margarita cocktails I drank with some friends before I wrote it... but it is all true.
    "I think it was the 4 margarita cocktails I drank with some friends before I wrote it..."
    Yeah those last 4 did it, and not a dozen before them

Почтенный гражданин

"I think it was the 4 margarita cocktails I drank with some friends before I wrote it..."
    Yeah those last 4 did it, and not a dozen before them
    Yep, I forgot about the dozen, before the last 4.

I was definitely in "Margarita-ville" (Jimmy Buffett) ...and then the hangover!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    That beer is flat....look there is no head on it! Dobry is obviously sitting in a bar nursing that beer until he can find a sugar mama to pick up his tab.
    She never came... no sugar mama for me!

Actually, that was some sort of strange pumpkin/cinnamon ale that my waitress convinced me to try... hey! She was really cute!... I couldn't refuse her!

Weird seasonal brew though, sort of tasty... but not something I would want to drink often.

Well, no. I can't say: "I stood on watch, or like Vovan said: 'hooola booola! muga muga wuga wuga!!!'"

The readers would think: ???????????

BTW: Here is the original russian:
    пока я стояла в коридоре на страже, или как он сам выразился «на стреме»
    I think, "to be on the lookout" will work here:

пока я стояла в коридоре на страже, или как он сам выразился «на стреме»=while I stood on guard in the hallway/watched the hallway, or as he put it, "was on the lookout."

My father and grandfather always taught me to respect everyone... and to NEVER disrespect another person, even if he or she was cleaning sewers or emptying rubbish... and this is the way I learned.
    Oh my goodness, Dobry - we must have had the same grandfather!!

Well, personally, I think it was a lovely post - so nothing to worry about in that department, mate!
    Actually, I fully agree with it....
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga
    Well, personally, I think it was a lovely post - so nothing to worry about in that department, mate!
    Actually, I fully agree with it....
    Большое спасибо, BabaYaga.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast