Thread: I need help from those who know Eng. advertisements!!!

Подающий надежды оратор

I need help from those who know Eng. advertisements!!!

Hello everyone!

I really need help! I'm writing my term paper on the following topic: Metaphor and Metonymy in Advertisements.Problems of translation from English into Russian.
    It goes without saying I do know lots of examples in Russian but I have NO english channels ((( And I badly need as much examples as possible. So if anyone knows english advertisements with mataphor/metonymy in it, I'll appreciate your help!!

Завсегдатай

Почётный участник

metaphors in adverts

One example of an advert: "Kellogs - the sunshine breakfast"

see http://www.buzzin.net/english/metaphor.htm for very clear examples of metaphors.

Почтенный гражданин
    Here's a link to a 2005 paper written in English that compares ads in Swedish and English magazines and discusses metaphor and metonymy: http://epubl.ltu.se/1402-1552/2006/080/ ... 080-SE.pdf

Here's a link which claims to have the latest tv ads in the UK: http://www.thinkbox.tv/?gclid=CPPOi7rD8 ... ggodfGNeyA

Here's a link which claims to have the best ever tv ads in the US: http://www.bestadsever.com/2008/01/mons ... onday.html

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thank you all, guys!
    I just knew there would be such a problem I should have meant this obstacke before.
    The problem is my term paper is based on the problem of translation, so I do need so to say international advertisements
    For example "Kellogs - the sunshine breakfast" really has a metaphor but we do not advertise this product in Russia so I cannot compare the way of its translation. That's why I've found so few examples. Like "Toyota - Drive Your Dreams. – Тойота – управляй мечтой" here we translate metaphor as metaphor and here "Skittles...taste the rainbow (Skittles) – Скиттлс, не кисни, на радуге зависни" it's a kind of rhyme more than metaphor in Russian and pure metaphor in English. So I have a classification of the way english ad-metaphor is transfered into russian.
    But this lack of examples is gonna kill me....

Почётный участник

advertising examples

To find specifically international adverts try products like cars and petrol.... I found:

ESSO: "Put a tiger in your tank"
    Exxon: "We're changing our name, but not our stripes"

I don't know if this advert is in Russian as well, but maybe something similar is.

I found some other points about global advertising. Perhaps it is no coincidence that you cannot find many examples.

This topic interested me a lot and I read this:

1) "Translating advertising copy is like painting the tip of an iceburg. What you see are the words, but there is a lot behind the words that must be understood to transfer advertising from one culture to another....... people categorize the world in different ways. "

Quoted from:
    www.mariekedemooij.com/articles/demooij ... slator.pdf

Завсегдатай
    Надо просто тупо сесть перед экраном и целый день щёлкать по каналам, записывая слоганы. Чем не метод?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Подающий надежды оратор
    2 Mandy: Yeah it's really the truth!! but I just have to get my term paper done

2Rtyom: ПРоблема в том, что у меня нет НИ ОДНОГО канала, на английском языке!! Мне просто не с чем сравнивать! А все, что я нахожу в инете не имеет аналогов в нашей рекламной индустрии!