Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do American pocket calendars look?

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    I didn't know this. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than a/the traditional American format.
    I was surprised too when I recently found out that all American calenders are like that!
    How come you were surprised when you found that out? How long have you lived in the States? I suppose - long enough to know that a typical American calendar looks like that in the picture.
    I prefer a traditional Russian calender where weeks run from Monday to Sunday. They are way more habitual!
    Habitual...? Usually, this word has a somewhat negative connotation: habitual drunkard, habitual criminal, nabitual drug user..., etc.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    I didn't know this. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than a/the traditional American format.
    I was surprised too when I recently found out that all American calenders are like that!
    How come you were surprised when you found that out? How long have you lived in the States? I suppose - long enough to know that a typical American calendar looks like that in the picture.
    I prefer a traditional Russian calender where weeks run from Monday to Sunday. They are way more habitual!
    Habitual...? Usually, this word has a somewhat negative connotation: habitual drunkard, habitual criminal, nabitual drug user..., etc.
    What I meant was that a traditional Russian calender is more common. Does habitual sound akward in that context or does it simply cause negative feelings?

P.S. charlestonian, where are you from? Or rather - where are you originally from?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

What I meant was that a traditional Russian calender is more common. Does habitual sound akward in that context or does it simply cause negative feelings?

P.S. charlestonian, where are you from? Or rather - where are you originally from?
    I have not seen "habitual" being used this way... (They are way more habitual![/quote]).

Let's hear what others say...

BTW, I was born in Ukraine but I have lived in the US the most of my life.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

habitual не так употребляется. лучше в этом контексте : they are more convenient, they seem more natural, they make more sense when they run Mon- Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    habitual не так употребляется. лучше в этом контексте : they are more convenient, they seem more natural, they make more sense when they run Mon- Sun.
    Agree.

I prefer a traditional Russian calender where weeks run from Monday to Sunday. They are way more normal!
    I've lived here 7 years now, but I really haven't needed to look at a calender that much I guessed I used my European calenders when I did and never really paid attention to the format of American calenders. My life is filled with so much more important things than how the calenders run!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    Thanks for explaining why 'habitual' doesn't work in that sentence of mine! I really appreciate your help.

charlestonian, since you have lived in the USA almost all your life and was born in the Ukraine, you must speak both fluent English and Russian, mustn't you?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Thanks for explaining why 'habitual' doesn't work in that sentence of mine! I really appreciate your help.

charlestonian, since you have lived in the USA almost all your life and were born in the Ukraine, you must speak both fluent English and Russian, mustn't you?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

charlestonian, since you have lived in the USA almost all your life and was born in the Ukraine, you must speak both fluent English and Russian, mustn't you?
    I would like to think that I am . Why?

Властелин

charlestonian, since you have lived in the USA almost all your life and were born in the Ukraine, you must speak both fluent English and Russian, mustn't you?
    stupid error! I am inclined to think that it was a misprint..... Thanks anyway.

charlestonian, I can't tell you why. Usually when someone has lived in a foreign country for a long time, they speak the language that is spoken in this foreign country fluently.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

stupid error! I am inclined to think that it was a misprint..... Thanks anyway.

charlestonian, I can't tell you why. Usually when someone has lived in a foreign country for a long time, they speak the language that is spoken in this foreign country fluently.
    "Why?" stands for "why did you ask?"
    You can't tell me why did you ask that question?

Властелин
    I probably misunderstood your question. I asked you that question because I was interested in how good your Russian and English is. Well, for example, your Russian/English may be perfect or it may be very, very good but not perfect. That's why.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

I probably misunderstood your question. I asked you that question because I was interested in how good your Russian and English is. Well, for example, your Russian/English may be perfect or it may be very, very good but not perfect. That's why.
    Nobody's language is perfect And that includes native speakers. And, how do you define "perfect?" Perfect South African, or Australian, or even British English may sound strange to Americans... Perfect language of the US South sounds funny to northerners..., and vice versa. Same in Russia. Go figure...

Властелин
    Nobody's language is perfect And that includes native speakers. And, how do you define "perfect?" Perfect South African, or Australian, or even British English may sound strange to Americans... Perfect language of the US South sounds funny to northerners..., and vice versa. Same in Russia. Go figure...
    I normally distinguish between a native speaker's command of a language and that of a learner. Since you have lived in the US for long, you may be classed as almost a native speaker. It's all subjunctive and I don't think we should try to define what each of us means by the word 'perfect'. If you don't have any problems whatsoever getting your ideas across to people speaking the same language as you and at the same time you make very few mistakes, then your grasp of a language may be regarded as 'perfect'.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

I normally distinguish between a native speaker's command of a language and that of a learner. Since you have lived in the US for long, you may be classed as almost a native speaker. It's all subjunctive and I don't think we should try to define what each of us means by the word 'perfect'. If you don't have any problems whatsoever getting your ideas across to people speaking the same language as you and at the same time you make very few mistakes, then your grasp of a language may be regarded as 'perfect'.
    I am fine, I don't have any problems. But, keep in mind that just living in some country for a long time does not guarantee that they speak the language of that country fluently. Some people can live in another country for many, many years, and they still can barely speak the language. I know some Chinese, and Russian close-knit families who have lived in the US many years, but their English really sucks, because they continue to use their native language within the family, and thus learn very little.

Властелин
    I am fine, I don't have any problems. But, keep in mind that just living in some country for a long time does not guarantee that they speak the language of that country fluently. Some people can live in another country for many, many years, and they still can barely speak the language. I know some Chinese, and Russian close-knit families who have lived in the US many years, but their English really sucks, because they continue to use their native language within the family, and thus learn very little.
    That's exactly what I was talking about! You're correct that there are people who have lived in another country for many years and haven't gained much. I think that it's very stupid to live in a foreign country and don't even attempt to learn the language of that country. If I had an opportunity to live in an English-speaking country say for one year, I'd try to make the most of my stay.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12