Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: How do American pocket calendars look?

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Россия, РТ
    Posts
    572
    Rep Power
    12

    How do American pocket calendars look?

    Recently on my job I had to make a small pocket calendar for an aircraft design bureau. It was intended only for foreigners, so we took a standard calendar layout and wrote months and days only in English. The layout looked like this:

    But I knew that at least in the USA people used to have Sunday for the first day of week. I never saw American calendars so I guess that they must look so:

    Just wonder, am I right?

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do American pocket calendars look?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tu-160
    Recently on my job I had to make a small pocket calendar for an aircraft design bureau. It was intended only for foreigners, so we took a standard calendar layout and wrote months and days only in English. The layout looked like this:

    But I knew that at least in the USA people used to have Sunday for the first day of week. I never saw American calendars so I guess that they must look so:

    Just wonder, am I right?
    Not traditional USA format, in my opinion... but yes, you are absolutely correct. In the USA, we show Sunday as the first day of our week on our calendars.

    Traditional USA format... the days are listed left-to right at the top... not down the side.

    I hope this helps, Tu.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Россия, РТ
    Posts
    572
    Rep Power
    12
    Thanks, useful to know!

    (The size of the calendars is 100x70 mm. Popular standard for Russia)

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    Click Download to get a calendar in Word format:

    http://www.calendarsthatwork.com/index. ... lendarForm

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Also, our seasons start on the 21st day of the month, not the 1st (ie Winter starts Dec. 21, not Dec. 1). Crazy Russians... :P
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Also, our seasons start on the 21st day of the month, not the 1st (ie Winter starts Dec. 21, not Dec. 1). Crazy Russians... :P
    It's not more crazy than in England they have the first floor on the second one.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Also, our seasons start on the 21st day of the month, not the 1st (ie Winter starts Dec. 21, not Dec. 1). Crazy Russians... :P
    It's not more crazy than in England they have the first floor on the second one.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Winter only starts on December 21st? Now that IS crazy.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    Разделение года по нашим, западным, датам не так уж бестолковое, как это вам кажется.

    В природе, на основе ориентации Солнца относительно Земли, год разделяется по частям, которые более или менее соответствуют нашим, западным, разделениям. Даты эти -- приблизительно 21 апреля, 21 июня, 21 сентября, и 21 декабря и называются quarters четверти (?) года. А также есть так-называемые cross-quarters, даты эти прибл. -- 2 февраля, 2 мая, 2 августа, 2 ноября.

    Точные даты на 2006г., с названиями:

    Imbolc - Feb 3 (популярно Groundhog Day)
    Vernal Equinox - March 20 (Spring Break!)
    Beltaine - May 5 (May Day)
    Summer Solstice - June 21
    Lughnasad - August 7 (Does anybody celebrate this?)
    Autumnal Equinox - Sept 22
    Samhain - Nov 7 (All Hallow's eve)
    Winter Solstice - Dec 21
    -----------------
    http://www.archaeoastronomy.com/2006.shtml
    -----------------

    Главные Четверти - это два солнцестояния и два равноденствия. Остальные -- cross-quarters.

    Несмотря на то, что такое разделение года основано на старинных языческих расчётах, оно по сей день живо, хоть бы среди узкого круга людей.

  10. #10
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Гражданин мира
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    12
    21 апреля, 21 июня, 21 сентября, и 21 декабря -- это начала астрономических сезонов.
    Суббота изначально считалась последним днём в еврейском календаре -- когда Бог уже всё создал и отдыхал. В некоторых языках воскресенье - первый день и т. д. Для христиан же главнее воскресенье, когда воскрес Иисус Христос. В русском, например, сами названия говорят о том, что понедельник -- первый, вторник -- второй и т. д. В современном Китае, который заимствовал западный календарь, понедельник называется буквально "первый день" и т. д.
    Воскресенье было единственным выходным днем в европейских странах, когда только-только начинали как-то организовывать рабочих на заводах. Но тогда вообще развлекаться считалось зазорным, нужно было ходить в церковь и вести благопристойную жизнь в кругу семьи. А с понедельника опять начиналась работа с утра до вечера.

    А вот интересно, если в английском суббота-воскресенье называется "week-end", то почему воскресенье иногда считается началом недели?

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp

    А вот интересно, если в английском суббота-воскресенье называется "week-end", то почему воскресенье иногда считается началом недели?
    Simple. In England, Monday is the first day of the week, and the concept of the two day weekend entered the language from there.

    Besides which, I would totally dispute that Sunday is still considered the first day of the week by anyone but those clinging to what they were taught decades ago in Sunday school, even in those countries who still officially class Sunday as the first day, such as the US. For all practical purposes, I reckon the vast majority of people consider Monday to be the first day of the week. Business, schools, government, et al, all count weeks as Monday to Sunday, no matter where you are. Double click your clock in Windows and have a look, the week runs from Monday to Sunday, not Sunday to Saturday.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    ... Double click your clock in Windows and have a look, the week runs from Monday to Sunday, not Sunday to Saturday.
    That can't serve as an example because it's customizable.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  13. #13
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Don't be silly.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Don't be silly.
    I'll try to. But the first day of week IS customizable in WinXP at least.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  15. #15
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Пошли-поехали ... And all Tu-160 asked was - what a small pocket calendar looks like?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  16. #16
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How do American pocket calendars look?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu-160
    Recently on my job I had to make a small pocket calendar for an aircraft design bureau. It was intended only for foreigners, so we took a standard calendar layout and wrote months and days only in English. The layout looked like this:

    But I knew that at least in the USA people used to have Sunday for the first day of week. I never saw American calendars so I guess that they must look so:

    Just wonder, am I right?
    Not traditional USA format, in my opinion... but yes, you are absolutely correct. In the USA, we show Sunday as the first day of our week on our calendars.

    Traditional USA format... the days are listed left-to right at the top... not down the side.

    I hope this helps, Tu.
    Agree
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  17. #17
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Not traditional USA format, in my opinion... but yes, you are absolutely correct. In the USA, we show Sunday as the first day of our week on our calendars.

    Traditional USA format... the days are listed left-to right at the top... not down the side.

    I hope this helps, Tu.
    I haven't known this before. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than traditional American format.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I didn't know this. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than a/the traditional American format.
    I was surprised too when I recently found out that all American calenders are like that!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  19. #19
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I didn't know this. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than a/the traditional American format.
    I was surprised too when I recently found out that all American calenders are like that!
    Now you know
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  20. #20
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I didn't know this. I used to come across calenders with the weeks running from Sunday to Saturday but I thought that it was just a matter of style rather than a/the traditional American format.
    I was surprised too when I recently found out that all American calenders are like that!
    How come you were surprised when you found that out? How long have you lived in the States? I suppose - long enough to know that a typical American calendar looks like that in the picture.
    I prefer a traditional Russian calender where weeks run from Monday to Sunday. They are way more habitual!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Free Russian-English-English dictionaries for a Pocket PC?
    By Анатолий in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
  2. For pocket pc users
    By Eugene in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 25th, 2005, 12:01 PM
  3. american 55, wants e-pal same age
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
  4. I' m looking for american friends
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 12th, 2005, 11:59 PM
  5. American kid looking for pal
    By TaTyFan in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 5th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary