Thread: Google worries about losing the trademark protection.

Google worries about losing the trademark protection.

A bit funny article I've stumbled upon in the Web.

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story217949.html

As google officially becomes a transitive verb, Google worries about losing trademark protection

Davey Winder Offline Jul 8th, 2006, 4:15 pm

he latest Merriam-Webster's dictionary update has ruffled a few feathers online. Not for the inclusion of Manga (noun: a Japanese comic book or graphic novel) nor ringtone (noun: the sound made by a cell phone to signal an incoming call) or even supersize (transitive verb: to increase considerably the size, amount, or extent of.)

Could it possibly be mouse potato (noun: a person who spends a great deal of time using a computer) or himbo (noun: and attractive but vacuous man?). Nope, then surely unibrow (noun: a single continuous brow resulting from the growing together of eyebrows) or even soul patch (noun: a small growth of beard under a man's lower lip) must be the cause?

Heck, even spyware (noun: software that is installed in a computer without the user's knowledge and transmits information about the user's computer activities over the Internet) and avian influenza (noun: a highly variable mild to fulminant influenza of birds that is caused by strains of the influenza A virus which may mutate and be transmitted to other vertebrates -- called also bird flu) hasn’t got anyone slightly excited.

Of the 100 new words that have been added to the 2006 update of America’s first and best-selling dictionary, the one that’s attracting all the online attention is google (verb: to use the Google search engine to obtain information about (as a person) on the World Wide Web.)

It remains to be seen whether Google will behave like a drama queen (noun: a person given to often excessively emotional performances or reactions) considering it has frowned on people using google as a verb in print. Indeed, as is often the way with brands protecting their trademarks, Google has positively discouraged such usage. Well now they can’t because it’s official. So can I just say that I google every day and often advise others to go google. As an Englishman I must point out that our very own Oxford English Dictionary made the Google (upper case though) verb inclusion last month with a very similar definition.

Google does have something of a genuine concern, in as far as the inclusion of google as a verb does push it ever closer to becoming part of the general lexicon, and that would mean exclusion from legal protection for the trademark. The fact that Merriam-Webster's chose a lower case google, rather than the upper case OED usage, will ease the concern a tad. But perhaps the days when you can go google at Yahoo! are closer than we might think?

P.S. You may see it for yourself:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/google
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Re: Google worries about losing the trademark protection.

I don't think there's a case here. You xerox, you hoover, and still both these words are trademarks, too, aren't they?

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Hey, I am scheduled to go to Google's DC office for a lunchtime tour (and get a dog and pony about Google Wave as well) in a couple of weeks... ya want me to ask a question about this???
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Hey, I am scheduled to go to Google's DC office for a lunchtime tour (and get a dog and pony about Google Wave as well) in a couple of weeks... ya want me to ask a question about this???
    Well, this would be interesting. Officially they softly discourage the usage of the verb to google.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Ya know, the lunch was last week and I had to miss it and now I am really wishing I could have gone!! I need to track down a friend to see if she made it and what she might have learned!

Google poised to become your phone company
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/13/goog ... index.html
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.