Thread: Gentleman cash, gentleman's cash

Властелин

Gentleman cash, gentleman's cash

Помогите, пожалуйста, перевести gentleman's cash. В чем отличие от просто наличных денег? Есть ли идиоматическое значение?

Завсегдатай

Re: Gentleman cash, gentleman's cash

Контекст?

Властелин

например, в темах о безработице:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... employment
    Mr. Cook Will the Secretary of State at least accept that he has direct responsibility for the loss of job opportunities in the public sector? Is he aware that Lothian health board has a paper before it that indicates that, if it stays within the right hon. Gentleman's cash limits, it will have to shed 700 posts, including those of over 300 nurses and a dozen doctors? Is he also aware that his junior Minister does not have the courage to meet Members of Parliament for the Lothian region in order to discuss the crisis that he has created?

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... steelworks
    The Corporation has moved against Shotton because the Government have inflicted crude cash limits that are crippling it. If Shotton falls, after it will come Llanwern, Port Talbot and even Ravenscraig. Successively, the right hon. Gentleman's cash limits will bankrupt these plants. The current policy is stupid and deeply injurious to the social fabric of our steel communities. The Government have endorsed a policy that can destroy the British steel industry.

в рассказе о покупке оружия:
    http://www.stevenfenner.com/Bang/Ruger_GP100.htm
    I found
    a few used Rugers for sale. I selected one, handed the gentleman cash, and was on my way.

просто в отчете об увиденном:
    http://publius-ovidius.livejournal.com/235360.html
    As I was buying 1000 Danish Kroner (roughly £91 or $180), for the weekend, I happened to notice some American bills in the gentleman's cash drawer. I've been gone so long that I didn't even recognize the money. That was very strange.

Завсегдатай

Первые две цитаты - из парламентских прений. Там есть словосочетание "right honorable gentleman" (примерно "достопочтенный член парламента") и словосочетание cash limits. Т.е. выражение gentleman's cash как таковое там просто отсуствует. Смысл всего выражения right honorable gentleman's cash limit примерно такой: "сумма, указанная/названная/предложенная достопочтенным оппонентом".

Во третьем случае - "...я вручил джентельмену (т.е. продавцу) деньги..."

В последнем случае, скорее всего, gentleman - это кассир обменного пункта. И в его cash drawer'е автор увидел американские купюры.

Старший оракул

В первых двух примерах речь идёт не о Gentleman's cash, а о cash limits – каких-то ограниченных бюджетных средствах, в рамках которых госучреждения вынуждены планировать свои расходы. hon. Gentleman (достопочтенный джентльмен) – это ни кто иной, как Secretary of State, титул у него такой видимо.
    I found a few used Rugers for sale. I selected one, handed the gentleman cash, and was on my way.
    …выбрал один, отдал джентльмену (продавцу,т.е.) деньги и пошёл дальше.
    happened to notice some American bills in the gentleman's cash drawer. I've been gone so long that I didn't even recognize the money. That was very strange.
    gentleman's cash drawer –ящик в котором джентльмен, обменивающий валюту держит деньги, а проще – кассовый аппарат. Артикль the в последних примерах помогает понять, что джентльмены - конкретные лица, уже известные разказчику.

Властелин

translationsnmru
    alexB

теперь понятно, спасибо