Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English and American langs

Почётный участник
    Spelling is just spelling. It doesn't affect a language's grammar and (in English) it rarely even affects pronunciation. As evidence of Australian English moving closer to American English: Australian newspapers almost never use the strange English combination of singular noun and plural verb ("Manchester United are...").

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Spelling is just spelling. It doesn't affect a language's grammar and (in English) it rarely even affects pronunciation. As evidence of Australian English moving closer to American English: Australian newspapers almost never use the strange English combination of singular noun and plural verb ("Manchester United are...").
    But they use Police ARE..., The United States ARE..., etc, if this is waht you mean. Of course, there is American influence in Australia - thanks to movies and internet but as I said it's more British than American, especially pronunciation, vocab and grammar. They say truck, not lorry (not sure if "lorry" is still used in UK), but boot, not trunk.
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    But aren't you just making an assumption that the word "truck" is an "American" word in the first place? or "trunk" for that matter?

What proof is there that Aussie english is even 'drifting"? Even in the early 1960's most people used the word "truck" in Australia.
    I submit to you that all these words are of English origin.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    But aren't you just making an assumption that the word "truck" is an "American" word in the first place? or "trunk" for that matter?

What proof is there that Aussie english is even 'drifting"? Even in the early 1960's most people used the word "truck" in Australia.
    No, the word "truck" doesn't prove anything about the drift - all I know that dictionaries show lorry as B.E. and truck is A.E. (used in the same meaning of a lorry, not a handcart). "Boot" (A.E.) is more common than "trunk" (B.E.). Everyone knows what diapers (A.E.) are but Australians just say nappies (B.E.).

I can see the drift in kids, they use more American words than adults. It's more likely American English will take over in Australia, especially the vocabulary.

English is not my first language, so I don't have the full picture of trends and differences. Australian English is closer to B.E. because English-speaking are descendents from England, many of them are just second generation Australians and they make the largest proportion of immigrants followed by New Zealanders.

TV is dominated by Hollywood, of course except for ABC channel, which shows British movies and series non-stop.

Back to the original question: In my opinion, as a non-native speaker, which version of English to learn is not important, it's not like choice between Mandarin or Cantonese. Variants of English are not separate languages. Even if you choose a version, what you read and who you talk to will influence your English.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT

'Truck,' describing a road vehicle for freight, has its origin in America—even the obscenely Anglocentric Shorter Oxford English Dictionary concedes this fact. The Australians borrowed the word in that meaning from the Americans.

Почтенный гражданин

Почётный участник
    Milanya, thank you for the link. I would suggest a few revisions to its author (and to any curious learners who may follow the link):

An optometrist is an oculist, not an occultist (misspelled as "oculltist").

Anyplace, someplace etc. are colloquial and should not be used in careful speech and writing.

Rubber for 'condom' is most definitely an impolite usage—it should be classified as a mild obscenity.

Angry is also used in the USA beside mad—they are synonyms in that sense. Indeed, angry is, in my opinion, the more common word.

There may be other mistakes but I didn't go through the whole list.

Почётный участник
    Angry is also used in the USA beside mad—they are synonyms in that sense. Indeed, angry is, in my opinion, the more common word.
    I don't hear the word angry near as often as I hear mad, but that is just me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    I don't hear the word angry near as often as I hear mad, but that is just me.
    Same with me - when I watch American movies. In Australia "mad" means crazy. It's always funny to hear in movies people saying "Don't be mad", "Are you mad?", when they mean angry.

--
    On American/British English used in Australia. Everybody says and writes 'autumn', not 'fall' here.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Анатолий
    On American/British English used in Australia. Everybody says and writes 'autumn', not 'fall' here.
    I haven't heard anyone say the word autumn for years

Завсегдатай
    Ask me!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    AS it turns out, you are quite right about the word "truck". I talked with an 80 year old Australian who remembers only hearing the word "lorry" for truck, in her childhood.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Ask me!
    I use "autumn" and "fall" equally, they are synonyms. I actually prefer using the word "autumn" because "fall" is ambiguous. People confuse it with the verb "to fall".
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Почтенный гражданин
    Check MY location, I am talking about English in AUSTRALIA, not US. My post was in answer to the question, which English is spoken in Australia, American or British.

Почётный участник
    [quote=Анатолий]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Анатолий":2gslpx3w
    Check MY location, I am talking about English in AUSTRALIA, not US. My post was in answer to the question, which English is spoken in Australia, American or British.[/quote:2gslpx3w]I wasn't argueing with you. I was just stating that I haven't heard anyone use the word autumn in a long time.

Завсегдатай
    And are there areas where people don't follow the influence and just prefer to use either "autumn" or "fall" just because of their sound (a case as with kwatts)?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    And are there areas where people don't follow the influence and just prefer to use either "autumn" or "fall" just because of their sound (a case as with kwatts)?
    No, I don't think so. As I said it's more British than American English in Australia (but there are things specific to only Australian English) because of their origin - Australians came from UK, not from US, some American influence doesn't change people's speech dramatically, some are even hostile to any influence and laugh imitating US accents and vocab (as some in America would laugh at British or Australian way of speaking).

Почётный участник
    Fall is the commoner word here in the USA, but autumn is heard as well. (Tv weathermen/-women in particular seem to prefer it.) But autumn is not common as a modifier: One is much more likely to hear fall semester than autumn semester.

Umm.. this may only be an accepted rule of thumb for my area of the good old red-white-and-blue.. but if we hear someone speaking with a british accent, and they say things that we don't really understand. we just (mentally) shrug out shoulders and chalk it up as "those english and their language*. If you try and pick up a british accent, then travel to america.. then you may be given more leeway (room for making errors), as noone really knows what the english are talking about half the time. I know, I listened to an english shop owner in my area, and pretty much just listened to her accent and nodded a lot. ^^;;

In all seriousness, there will be words which do not translate very well, in either how they are used in a sentence, how they are pronounced, or.. OH, something important. If you understand the word, and are comfortable with saying it's translated counterpart.. then also associate that word with a facial expression if it is a very serious topic or a very relaxed topic. So when you are talking about a serious matter with someone, use a serious facial expression. But when you are speaking about something everyday or something funny.. use a relaxed facial expression. Even when we don't understand the words, understanding someone's facial expression helps to fill in the gaps.. some.
    Give someone fire, and you keep them warm for a single night. Set them on fire, and you'll keep them warm for the rest of their life.

Новичок
    I'm English. Although I get annoyed often with other English people using American spellings or words, I don't think anyone would think badly of a foreigner using American English. Even a mix of the two will not get you laughed at (maybe misunderstood though if you start talking about jam/jelly/jello or chips/fries/crisps in the wrong way.) If you come to English you will probably be surprised at how bad most people are at speaking proper English.

There are probably more reasons for choosing American English. It's more widely spoken, and for business you are probably (I may be wrong) more likely to meet Americans. You're probably, unless you have an interest in England, more likely to visit America, and watch American TV shows and read American books. The only reasons for choosing to speak English English is the fact that we are in the same continent and English is the original. Once you've learned the differences, it will be easy for you to switch between when you need to. I could easily write American English if I needed to, although I'd probably forget sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast