Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connection all stations

Властелин
    Yeah, it's odd that you're the only native English speaker to have answered my question on this forum. It cannot be a BrE thing because -first, Brown's American and second, that announcement (according to the book) was made on Washington's subway. Are there many British people on Washington's subway? I don't think so..... I agree that if a phrase is common and often heard at railways it doesn't mean it's grammatically correct.

I read "The Da Vince Code". Well, the book's pretty interesting but there are a load of facts to be checked. Some things that occur to Langdon and the French girl (can't recall her name now) seem unreal!

I've read about half of "Deception Point" so far. Again, there are a lot of things that are very, very odd! Still, it's a pretty good read. Furthermore, there are tons of good expressions and new words that might come in handy one day.

Мда....мне ОЧЕНЬ понравилось то, что ты написал на русском! МОЛОДЕЦ. I applaud you!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Вот что мне сказали в Англии:

It is customary however to omit small words in headlines and announcements. We may perhaps say that the full sentence is «change here for connections to all stations»

гы-гы
    I think that this is true. It seems that i remeber this expressin from long ago. It is probably not used anymore in USA or never was but still probably in use in Commomwealth Countries.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Here is one more answer

Privet Mishau

I take "L'Enfant Plaza, connection all stations" as "At L'Enfant Plaza, you can make a connection to all subway stations in Washington DC". Here "connection" is "shifting from a subway line to another subway line".

Please note that all of Washington's subway lines (except the red one : maybe it was not available when Dan Brown wrote the phrase) run through L'Enfant Plaza.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/thumb.ph ... .gif&w=500

paco
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Japan today even dogs are learning how to bow-wow in English.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, as another American, i'll throw in my vote. "Connection all stations" simply means that at the next stop, you can get on a train that will take you to any station you want. The announcment on the train would probably sound more like "Connection (pause) all stations".

This is kind of offtopic, but while we're talking about reading books to get useful words and expressions I thought of it. Right now i'm reading Пиковая Дама, and wanted to know if people still talk like that, or if it's more like Shakespear is to english. Thanks!

tdk

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by tdk2fe
    Right now i'm reading Пиковая Дама, and wanted to know if people still talk like that, or if it's more like Shakespear is to english. Thanks!
    tdk
    Neither. It sounds old-fashioned in many places, but it is much more easily understood by modern Russians (including schoolkids) than Shakespear is by an average English-speaking high-school graduate. Of course, card terms are completely obsolete, and in order to understand them one would have to look them up (no one plays this kind of games any more). But other than that, it is readily understood by any native speaker.

Властелин
    Thanks for the answers DDT and tdk2fe.

Honestly, starting this thread, I didn't think it would have so many answers I'm really happy I've gotten so many replies from you, guys!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Почтенный гражданин
    Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you mean with the card terms - our teacher had to hand out a supplementary text just to explain the game so we could have an idea of what is going on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12