Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letzebuergisch

Старший оракул
    Bad manners, do you speak Letzebuergisch?
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    I gathered that your dislike of beer somehow prevented you from studying the Bavarian dialect.
    You gathered incorrectly. Go and put everything back where you took it from.
    OK. So you do drink beer by the masl, then. So when are you going to start a pointless discussion on Bavarian?

[quote:343i68bs]I am not discussing its usefulness anymore. Get on with that.
    Indeed you aren't. You seldom stick to your original arguments.[/quote:343i68bs]
    My arguments? My arguments were that the above mentioned language is useless. But I am not discussing that anymore, because I'm perfectly OK with your wasting your worthless time on an equally worthless language.

[quote:343i68bs]Need I remind you that anything you don't feel like discussing should not be posted on Internet forums?
    Rubbish. I didn't post anything I didn't feel like discussing. This is not a discussion of whether one should or shouldn't study Lёtzebuergesch. [/quote:343i68bs]
    Which is fine, because as I admitted earlier I am not discouraging you from learning this useless language.

[quote:343i68bs]Wei geet et, BTW?
    Gei futti, bad manners. Du geess mir op d'Schlappen.[/quote:343i68bs]
    As a person recently advocating severe punishment for use of foul language, you are not very polite. To say nothing about the grammar. Did you learn it from your Croatian friend naturalised in Luxembourg educated in Belgium?
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Старший оракул
    There is no such thing as a worthless language, bad manners. There are languages that are useful, or not useful(as you know) but no language is 'worthless'.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Почтенный гражданин
    You are right. It is not entirely worthless. I even know a category of people who value it very highly. To become a teller in a Luxembourg-based bank, one must speak that language.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    My Lёtzebuergesch is perfect. Perfecter than yours. And as far as swearing is concerned, I was talking about swearing in Russian, not the heavenly Lёtzebuergesch. All right me old bean?

I'm getting the feeling that you envy me - obviously you've wanted to learn Lёtzebuergesch all your life and now that I've got a real opportunity to become fluent in it you're all green with envy.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Старший оракул
    You are right. It is not entirely worthless. I even know a category of people who value it very highly. To become a teller in a Luxembourg-based bank, one must speak that language.
    Good point. But here's a question: do you think they'd allow a non-native to take such a job, in the unlikely event that they were fluent in the lingo?

The interesting thing is that, despite the fact that French is supposedly the official administrative language of the Grand Duchy*, they will hire non-French-speakers in customer service roles in banks. Customer service is a bit of an issue in Luxembourg, a country where all the taxi drivers run a top-of-the-range Mercedez Benz.

*arguably not the only, but the main admin. lang.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    My Lёtzebuergesch is perfect. Perfecter than yours.
    Question of definitions, I guess.

obviously you've wanted to learn Lёtzebuergesch all your life
    I've actually wanted not to know that language for a quite some time.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Good point. But here's a question: do you think they'd allow a non-native to take such a job, in the unlikely event that they were fluent in the lingo?
    Native or not, it all boils down to connections in the end. Teller positions are very popular with the native Luxembourgers, you know.

French is supposedly the official administrative language of the Grand Duchy* ... *arguably not the only, but the main admin. lang.
    It is. All state papers are issued in French, all road signs are posted in French. The only exception is the local administration, who might do it in French and German. Luxembourgish is almost not used by administration, except for some slogans and fliers.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Native or not, it all boils down to connections in the end. Teller positions are very popular with the native Luxembourgers, you know.
    That was kind of the point I was trying to make.. I did have a bank account there, you know

[quote:21lv6he6]French is supposedly the official administrative language of the Grand Duchy* ... *arguably not the only, but the main admin. lang.
    It is. All state papers are issued in French, all road signs are posted in French. The only exception is the local administration, who might do it in French and German. Luxembourgish is almost not used by administration, except for some slogans and fliers.[/quote:21lv6he6]

Yes I got the impression that maybe there were some local newspapers and newsletters in Luxembourgish, and that's it. But I kind of deliberately avoided it, to tell the truth, as I did German while I was there .. the polyglots on here are horrified, I'm sure

So, you've lived there yourself, right? Still do?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123