Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Letzebuergisch

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Quote Originally Posted by Евгения Белякова
    VendingMachine: Do you speak Letzebuergisch?
    Not yet. But any day now.
    What for? Probably the most useless language in the world.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    [quote=bad manners]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Евгения Белякова":q694rjtj
    VendingMachine: Do you speak Letzebuergisch?
    Not yet. But any day now.
    What for? Probably the most useless language in the world.[/quote:q694rjtj]There's no such thing as a useless language. I just happen to find it beautiful (after Afrikaans and Danish) and that's what for enough for me to want to learn more about it.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Старший оракул
    I agree with VendingMachine.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Почтенный гражданин
    There's no such thing as a useless language. I just happen to find it beautiful (after Afrikaans and Danish) and that's what for enough for me to want to learn more about it.
    Any native speaker of that language speaks some other language as well. This language is completely superfluous. That is why it is useless.

And it is not even a language.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    There's no such thing as a useless language. I just happen to find it beautiful (after Afrikaans and Danish) and that's what for enough for me to want to learn more about it.
    Any native speaker of that language speaks some other language as well. This language is completely superfluous. That is why it is useless.

And it is not even a language.
    'Usefulness' of a language is never a reason for me to study it. I'm well aware of the fact that everyone from Luxemburg speaks perfect German and French and yes, Letzebuergisch is a dialect of German (probably related to the one they speak in Saarland in a way), so what? Do you speak Letzeburgisch, bad manners? No? Then butt out. Why are you so hell bent on dissuading me from studying it? My linguistical tastes are hardly any of your business.

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm well aware of the fact that everyone from Luxemburg speaks perfect German and French and yes
    Wrong.

Letzebuergisch is a dialect of German
    If you write "Letzebuergisch" then you should also write "Deutsch".

Do you speak Letzeburgisch, bad manners? No? Then butt out.
    And if the answer is "yes"?

Why are you so hell bent on dissuading me from studying it?
    Am I? I am simply dealing with your prior argument that "There's no such thing as a useless language." Even though now it is merely "'Usefulness' of a language is never a reason for me to study it."

Старший оракул
    If VendingMachine wants to study this language, he should. His reasons I think are good reasons to study any language. I do think to study useful language is good because you can use it more, but to study a non useful language because of it's beauty and interest in it is a good reason too. If you have passion about any language, that is good enough.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Старший оракул
    As a 2.5 year veteran of the Duchy, I wholeheartedly concur with BM on each of the above points. I was trying to think of something equally useless but at the same time still in use. Nothing quite fit . Old British languages such as Cornish and Welsh do at least deserve the title of separate language ( I mean to say that they're quite separate from English..), as do things like Udmurt in Russia .. but the difference is that the population that actually bothers to speak these languages in everday life must be tiny, and that's not quite true with Letzebuergesch.
    I can't think of another example quite like Letzebuergesch. Prob. if places like Monaco and Lichtenstein have their own languages/dialects it's something similar. How about Romansch in Switzerland?

As a curiosity, it is of course very interesting, nothing to argue about there. One can be interested by virtually anything.

[PS Just to explain one point, the oldsters usually speak French OR German, depending on their upbringing whereas all the youngsters speak both (they are schooled in both) and usually English too, if they have a brain. Come to think of it a fairly large percentage of the Luxembourg city dwellers speak Portuguese ]

If you are curious, the most useful language to speak in Luxembourg city is, I think, French. Outside the city, it's a slightly more complicated equation.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Just to explain one point, the oldsters usually speak French OR German, depending on their upbringing whereas all the youngsters speak both.
    Utter nonsence. I have some people from Luxemburg living next door (visiting professor at our Uni and his family) - they always speak Letzebuergesch among themselves. And no matter how early in their lives they master French and German they are still foreign languages to them.

Anyway, if you can't help me with my Letzebuergesch, I don't see why you should be posting to this thread at all.

Старший оракул
    Just to explain one point, the oldsters usually speak French OR German, depending on their upbringing whereas all the youngsters speak both.
    Utter nonsence. I have some people from Luxemburg living next door (visiting professor at our Uni and his family)
    yeah yeah right.

btw sort it out with the spelling will you - nonsense.

I can help you on this point: whilst you've started spelling Letzebuergesch properly (you didn't notice my first correction eh?) .. perhaps you should start working on 'Luxembourg' (although of course we'll accept Letzebuerg).
    It is, as always, an unalloyed pleasure to help.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Завсегдатай
    I don't no wot your on about, waxwing. Wot I do no is that ewe've never bean to Luxemburg (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictiona ... =luxemburg) and you know nothig about Letzebuergisch - that's one of the possible German spellings, by the way, your spelling isn't correct at all - in proper Letzebuergisch they spell the first e as the Russian ё, that is Lёtzebuergesch - you wanted to extract the Michael out of my spelling but you simply made a fool of yourself.

I live in a very posh block of flats - we often get visiting professors from Europe and North America and one of my neighbours is actually a dean. (I don't expect you to have met a dean in real life, but I trust you have enough general knowledge to know what the word means.)

Старший оракул
    Of course letzebuergisch and luxemburg are German spellings, however as far as I can tell, we're not posting in German here are we? I've already tried to explain how people there perceive it if you try to assume that they're part of Germany. See how helpful I am?

You've already made a massive cultural gaffe by putting this thread in the German lounge, let's not compound it eh?

We're posting in English, in which case you need Luxembourg and, as I say, Letzebuerg is fine since you're trying to learn the language 'n all.

To write 'Luxemburg' in English is rather like writing 'color'. Nuff said.

Lёtzebuergesch
    good one - but since this is not the Russian ё I think we should avoid confusion.

I live in a very posh block of flats
    Does it have a podezd?

Wot I do no is that ewe've never bean to Luxemburg...
    I don't expect you to have met a dean in real life...
    Oh I'm SO offended!! Enjoy learning this fantastically useful language with your incorporeal friends!
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Завсегдатай
    You've already made a massive cultural gaffe by putting this thread in the German lounge, let's not compound it eh?
    There is no Lёtzebuergesch lounge here and you ruddy well know it.

We're posting in English, in which case you need Luxembourg and, as I say, Letzebuerg is fine since you're trying to learn the language 'n all.
    Wannabe editor with an oedipous complex.

To write 'Luxemburg' in English is rather like writing 'color'. Nuff said.
    I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend your Royal Limeness.

Lёtzebuergesch
    good one - but since this is not the Russian ё I think we should avoid confusion.
    I said like the Russian ё - it's the closest I can get on my keyboard.

Does it have a podezd?
    What is a 'podezd'? It has a "paradnoe", I know not what podezd means unless you mean 'driveway'.

Enjoy learning this fantastically useful language with your incorporeal friends!
    You are pathetic. Having nothing useful to say on the subject you resorted to personal attacks. You are a troll, sir. You are the one who made this topic spirall off into offtopic realms. Good day to you, sir.

Почтенный гражданин
    Anyway, if you can't help me with my Letzebuergesch, I don't see why you should be posting to this thread at all.
    If there is some Luxembourgish professor living next door, he is all the help you will ever need. What I do not understand though is what kind of professor he is, given the lack of universities in Luxembourg.

There is no Lёtzebuergesch lounge here and you ruddy well know it.
    There are lounges for languages, not dialects. Or shall we need a Bavarian lounge as well? BTW, here is another "language" for you to admire, a severely screwed dialect with diminutives galore.

What I do not understand though is what kind of professor he is, given the lack of universities in Luxembourg.
    The fact that there are no universities in Luxemburg doesn't mean that there are no professors of mathematics who come from Luxemburg. He studied in Belgium and this is where he teaches but he comes from Luxemburg and so does his entire family.

[quote:3vuf4a47]There is no Lёtzebuergesch lounge here and you ruddy well know it.
    There are lounges for languages, not dialects. Or shall we need a Bavarian lounge as well? [/quote:3vuf4a47]That's exactly my point. Get yourself a pair of glasses.

BTW, here is another "language" for you to admire, a severely screwed dialect with diminutives galore.
    Thank you, where would I be without you. Unfortunately, I don't drink beer by the masl.

Старший оракул
    Wannabe editor with an oedipous complex.
    Was this 'oedipous' a subtle joke on the theme? If not, I'm here a-editin' again! If so, well done

'spiral' is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by VM
    Does it have a podezd?
    What is a 'podezd'? It has a "paradnoe", I know not what podezd means unless you mean 'driveway'.
    Don't tell me you've forgotten our wonderful little chat on this subject already?! Short term memory loss, or a more serious condition I wonder...
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Unfortunately, I don't drink beer by the masl.
    Then you should not care about Luxembourgish, too.

Завсегдатай
    And why's that? I said I wouldn't learn a language just because it was "useful" - I learn only those languages I like. I don't find boarisch that much attractive. I don't care how useful or useless it might be. I think the world of Lёtzebuergesch and that alone is reason enough for me.

P.S. Need I remind you that I hardly find it necessary to discuss my language learning priorities with you, Segnor Bizibodi?

Почтенный гражданин
    And why's that?
    I gathered that your dislike of beer somehow prevented you from studying the Bavarian dialect. Then I felt it my duty to warn you that Luxembourg is just as big on beer as Bavaria is (both produce the same kind of piss-resembling (and probably tasting) liquid, BTW).

I said I wouldn't learn a language just because it was "useful" - I learn only those languages I like.
    I am not discussing its usefulness anymore. Get on with that.

P.S. Need I remind you that I hardly find it necessary to discuss my language learning priorities with you, Segnor Bizibodi?
    Need I remind you that anything you don't feel like discussing should not be posted on Internet forums?

Wei geet et, BTW?

I gathered that your dislike of beer somehow prevented you from studying the Bavarian dialect.
    You gathered incorrectly. Go and put everything back where you took it from.

I am not discussing its usefulness anymore. Get on with that.
    Indeed you aren't. You seldom stick to your original arguments.

Need I remind you that anything you don't feel like discussing should not be posted on Internet forums?
    Rubbish. I didn't post anything I didn't feel like discussing. This is not a discussion of whether one should or shouldn't study Lёtzebuergesch.

Wei geet et, BTW?
    Gei futti, bad manners. Du geess mir op d'Schlappen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast