Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: washer and dryer

washer and dryer

Almost everyone in Russia has a washing machine, but what about a dryer? Are they available for the public? When I was there last summer I was forunate enough to have a very nice prachechnaya a block away and they had dryers there. But that was only a temporary solution. And I realllly hate to hang dry my clothes. Is it possible to buy your own dryer? We looked in some appliance stores but didn't see any. I'm asking because in case I get to go to college in Russsia I really can't imagine living with out a dryer.
    Свет
    С утра запутается в шторах и цветах,
    Которые ты забываешь поливать.
    Тебя не радуют весна и пение птах,
    Ведь снова ты должна любовь свою порвать,
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Завсегдатай

Re: washer and dryer

Quote Originally Posted by astarz41
    Almost everyone in Russia has a washing machine, but what about a dryer? Are they available for the public? When I was there last summer I was forunate enough to have a very nice prachechnaya a block away and they had dryers there.
    Some have dryers, some have washing machines that do the drying and the bleeding ironing and pressing of underpants with pleasure, no need to trouble the chambermaid wink wink nudge nudge (today's washing machines while they don't yet offer fellatio/cunnilingus programs, will perform almost any type of operation on a pair of dirty knickers thereby rendering dryers virtually redundant), some hang their washing out to dry on a bit of string in their backyard (a much more environment friendly way by the way unless you use some really poisonous detergent).

I'm asking because in case I get to go to college in Russsia I really can't imagine living with out a dryer.
    Join the girl guides or whatever they call them in the US. Hopefully they will teach you some rudimentary survival skills - it's a shame really that a simple thing like a lack of a dryer can render a person helpless.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Старший оракул

Almost everyone in Russia has a washing machine, but what about a dryer?
    At the risk of starting another 10 pages of hysteria (), I am 99% certain that this statement is factually incorrect (if by 'more than everyone' you mean something > 70% .. I'd guess it's much less than 50%).

Are they available for the public? When I was there last summer I was forunate enough to have a very nice prachechnaya a block away and they had dryers there. But that was only a temporary solution. And I realllly hate to hang dry my clothes. Is it possible to buy your own dryer? We looked in some appliance stores but didn't see any. I'm asking because in case I get to go to college in Russsia I really can't imagine living with out a dryer.
    That's interesting. I'll check in the local stores next time I'm out shopping. I suppose they're much less common here than in the West now, but I'd be amazed if you actually couldn't find one.

As to launderettes (what do you call them? laundromats?) people who come here are always asking why they don't have them in Moscow. I don't know.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Join the girl guides or whatever they call them in the US. Hopefully they will teach you some rudimentary survival skills - it's a shame really that a simple thing like a lack of a dryer can render a person helpless.
    It's not that I don't know how to hang dry (or hand wash) but hang drying is not recommended for a lot of clothes. It stretches the fabric out and makes it feel rough. And plus dryers are so much more practical. 40 minutes and all your clothes is dry. You can wash and dry a winter coat in a couple hours. And you can dry shoes. Anddd you can use the dryer to do dry cleaning, which is really covenient. It's like a microwave, you can certainly do with out it but it makes things so much easier when you're in a hurry.

At the risk of starting another 10 pages of hysteria (), I am 99% certain that this statement is factually incorrect (if by 'more than everyone' you mean something > 70% .. I'd guess it's much less than 50%).
    Yea I'm probably off on that one, but lets say everyone I know in St. Petersburg had one.

That's interesting. I'll check in the local stores next time I'm out shopping. I suppose they're much less common here than in the West now, but I'd be amazed if you actually couldn't find one.
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure they do exist in Russia, because they had them at the laundry place. I think they're just not very popular yet.
    Свет
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Завсегдатай
    It's not that I don't know how to hang dry (or hand wash) but hang drying is not recommended for a lot of clothes.
    Shall I tell you who's saying this or would you like to guess?

It stretches the fabric out and makes it feel rough.
    Stick to normal clothes made from normal fabric, not some artificially engineered fibres.

And plus dryers are so much more practical.
    Practical for whom? For the average selfish human? Do they care about the environment, do they f... .

40 minutes and all your clothes is dry.
    What's the rush? Make it a rule to do your laundry in advance. Learn to manage your time. Do several things in parallel. It's not very difficult, believe me.

You can wash and dry a winter coat in a couple hours.
    Winter coats worth their name should be dry cleaned, not washed.

And you can dry shoes.
    Use a good water repellent cream (but make sure it's environment friendly). Your shoes will always be dry. (Easier solution - watch your step, avoid stepping into puddles.)

Anddd you can use the dryer to do dry cleaning, which is really covenient.
    That sort of dry cleaning has nothing to do with the real dry cleaning they do at any respectable dry cleaner's in St Pete. It's like comparing a latex doll to a real woman.

It's like a microwave, you can certainly do with out it but it makes things so much easier when you're in a hurry.
    Ever thought of improving your time management skills? A well-organized person seldom finds himself in a hurry. Besides, microwaves are bad for your health.

[quote:zay4o9yk]That's interesting. I'll check in the local stores next time I'm out shopping. I suppose they're much less common here than in the West now, but I'd be amazed if you actually couldn't find one.
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure they do exist in Russia, because they had them at the laundry place. I think they're just not very popular yet.[/quote:zay4o9yk]Wrong. They are no longer popular. People are very environment-concious in Russia - as soon as they realized that dryers were bad for the environment they started saying no to them. From what I've heard some even wanted to persuade the Duma to pass a law banning the import of dryers into Russia (for environmental protection reasons). Besides, many washing machines nowadays have a drying program which is 100% environment friendly and very efficient. No one in their right mind would pay double for a dryer if their washing machine already does it for them.

Stick to normal clothes made from normal fabric, not some artificially engineered fibres.
    I'd say 80% of my clothes is cotton. The rest is wool and "other." Actually if it was artificial fabric like polyester it would dry a whole lot easier and wouldn't stretch out.

Winter coats worth their name should be dry cleaned, not washed.
    Not if the instructions say machine wash and tumble dry low. It really depends...

Use a good water repellent cream (but make sure it's environment friendly). Your shoes will always be dry. (Easier solution - watch your step, avoid stepping into puddles.)
    I meant drying your shoes after you wash them. Like tennis shoes.

That sort of dry cleaning has nothing to do with the real dry cleaning they do at any respectable dry cleaner's in St Pete. It's like comparing a latex doll to a real woman.
    I could go to a real dry cleaner's for a wool coat or a dress, but not every other week for a wool sweater that's "dry clean only." That would be a waste of time and $$.

People are very environment-concious in Russia - as soon as they realized that dryers were bad for the environment they started saying no to them. From what I've heard some even wanted to persuade the Duma to pass a law banning the import of dryers into Russia (for environmental protection reasons). Besides, many washing machines nowadays have a drying program which is 100% environment friendly and very efficient. No one in their right mind would pay double for a dryer if their washing machine already does it for them.
    Oh come on, people in Russia aren't any more environment and health concious than in the US. I'd say they are less so. Especailly health.... And dryers were never popular before in Russia (unless you mean some prehistoric form of a dryer) some people have never even heard of them. And how do washing machines dry your clothes? They wring it but it's still damp when it comes out.

Besides, microwaves are bad for your health.
    So are lot of things in theory...so what? TVs, cell phones, the sun, cars, all sorts of food, I mean...what's point in trying to avoid one thing when there's a dozen other things that harm you? We're all gonna die anyways. "Умирать здоровым жалко"
    Свет
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Почтенный гражданин
    astarz, don't bother. He's just trying to troll.

I know, you're right Линдзи. I just wanna know, is VM EVER serious?
    Свет
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    no need to trouble the chambermaid wink wink nudge nudge (today's washing machines while they don't yet offer fellatio/cunnilingus programs....
    I love you.
    Call to a hardware store: "I'm sure you know more about the caulk than I do...tell me...is there a taste to the caulk?".

JB
    Старший оракул
    Laundry tips from Moscow:
    Washing machines are slow, tiny, and almost worthless. most people I know have one but use it only for the sheets and towels. My machine is an Italian model that can only hold 3 sheets and takes 2 hours to do a load. Most of the machines here heat the water in the machine for each cycle, thus the long time frame. Machines are tiny because they must fit into the bathroom or kitchen. They usually have a hose to hook to the tub faucet but some people have a wall hookup installed. They plug into the regular wall electric outlet.

Dryers are available in the stores near the center but they are expensive. Most people can't afford them and have no room to put them. The dual wash/dry models are here but also very expensive. American sizes and styles of washers and dryers are here too (even American brands) but are too large for the average apt and too expensive. The ads for these show them in laundry rooms the size of my whole apt and they are aimed at rich Russians or foreigners.

Dry cleaning is also very expensive for the average salary here even though the prices are the same as in America. Most people I know don't dry clean but use spot removers and brushes to clean winter coats.

Most people dry their clothes on their balcony or in the bathroom. Socks are frequently dried on the bath hot water pipes. If it's raining or winter it can take days to dry things. My cotton shirts are stretched out and my towels are crunchy from line drying. I like synthetic fibers better because they wash(by hand)and dry(on the line)quickly and don't need to be ironed.
    Laundry habits here have to do with economics and not care for the environment.
    If people here gave a shit about the environment the parks and forests would not be covered in plastic bags, papers and broken beer bottles. Russian recycling consists of leaving the beer bottles intact on the curb for poor people to collect and get the refund.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Завсегдатай
    I'd say 80% of my clothes is cotton.
    Yeah right. This may come as a shock to you but did you know that most of the stuff sold as "cotton" in the US isn't cotton at all or is very low quality cotton?

Actually if it was artificial fabric like polyester it would dry a whole lot easier and wouldn't stretch out.
    Spoken by someone who ain't done a spot of washing in her life.

[quote:20sg5b76]Winter coats worth their name should be dry cleaned, not washed.
    Not if the instructions say machine wash and tumble dry low.[/quote:20sg5b76]Do I really have to tell you who writes such instructions? It's amazing how some people would bang their heads against a concrete wall if "the instructions" told them to.

I meant drying your shoes after you wash them. Like tennis shoes.
    Still don't get it what you need a dryer for. My Nike trainers dry in less than 30 minutes. Maybe I use less water? I've noticed how many of my American friends use tons of water when washing up and doing their laundry (as if they had all the water in the ocean at their disposal) - learn to be more economical.

I could go to a real dry cleaner's for a wool coat or a dress, but not every other week for a wool sweater that's "dry clean only." That would be a waste of time and $$.
    a) don't by sweaters which are "dry clean only"
    b) have someone who understands the properties of fabrics inspect your wardrobe - it could be that most of those "dry clean only" labels are bogus and could be ignored
    c) find yourself a nice cheap dry cleaners (there are tons of them in St Pete)
    d) for pity's sake find yourself a job and stop moaning about money

Oh come on, people in Russia aren't any more environment and health concious than in the US.
    First of all let's not put everything into one pile. I said environment concious. And yes, we are one of the most environment concious nations in the world. Sadly the same cannot be said about Americans. Americans have a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the world on that one - your nearest goal should be becoming at least half as environment concious as the Germans are.

Now, with regard to Americans being health concious (funny you should mention it) - 99% of my American friends are drastically overweight people. I've been to your website and seen your photo - you're not fat I'll grant you that but you are already a bit on the porky side by the Russian standards which is a shame really, given your age and all.

I'd say they are less so. Especailly health....
    Now, I'd understand such a comment coming from a Japanese, but someone who lives in the land of grotesque sumo wrestlers in baseball caps should never open their mouth on this issue.

And dryers were never popular before in Russia (unless you mean some prehistoric form of a dryer)
    You don't know what you're talking about.

some people have never even heard of them.
    Some Americans have never heard about Linux... As I said there was a strong move to ban dryers because they were thought to be bad for the environment - some people may not have heard of them due to that. Also, what do you think the Russian word for a dryer is? There are many local terms for household impliments and it could be that those you spoke to about them knew them under a different name.

And how do washing machines dry your clothes? They wring it but it's still damp when it comes out.
    That's what your American washing machines do I presume. In Russia we have washing machines (both Russian and European makes) that first wring out your clothes and then (if you chose that option) they dry your clothes - they come out nice and dry, not a trace of dampness. Also they can press suits - they come out absolutely dry, neatly pressed and ready to be worn. It makes sense to invest into such a machine as it makes the need to buy a dryer redundant.

So are lot of things in theory...so what? TVs, cell phones,
    I've made a concious decision not to use a cell phone - brain cancer is not a joke. As for TVs - I bought myself a cinema projector - been on clound nine ever since.

the sun,
    Don't expose yourself to excessive radiation.

cars,
    Ride a bicycle - it's environment-friendly and it does wonders for your cardiovascular system - I sold my car a few year ago - never had any regrets. The metro system is very efficient in St Pete.

all sorts of food,
    Don't eat junk food - no one's forcing it down your throat you know.

I mean...what's point in trying to avoid one thing when there's a dozen other things that harm you?
    By all means try to avoid that dozen as well. It's not all that difficult really. The problem is most people are too lazy to bother. They prefer the fast lane to an early grave. Fine, less people, more oxygen.

We're all gonna die anyways. "Умирать здоровым жалко"
    Yes, we all die. You're born only to die some day. But that bit in between is called LIFE.

Завсегдатай
    They plug into the regular wall electric outlet.
    That's not true. No imbecil would run a washing machine off the mains - when you buy a washing machine they hook it up onto an extra outlet when they install it. If you know someone who runs his washing machine off the mains you should report the idiot immidiately.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    They plug into the regular wall electric outlet.
    You know, sometimes VM drivels, but now he's right. Washing machine consume too mush power to share regular cable with something else. Regular Russian main is developed for 220AC 50Hz 6A but European main can be loaded with 10A and have special ground contact.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

Завсегдатай
    The ads for these show them in laundry rooms the size of my whole apt and they are aimed at rich Russians or foreigners.
    I'm not rich, I'm not even middle-class and I can easily afford them.

Dry cleaning is also very expensive for the average salary here even though the prices are the same as in America. Most people I know don't dry clean but use spot removers and brushes to clean winter coats.
    Don't know about Moscow, could be, come to St Pete, it's dirt cheap here.

Most people dry their clothes on their balcony or in the bathroom. Socks are frequently dried on the bath hot water pipes. If it's raining or winter it can take days to dry things. My cotton shirts are stretched out and my towels are crunchy from line drying.
    No wonder they are - I mean if you will do such silly things... Most Americans I've known couldn't handle their ropes properly. Come to St Pete, we're all mostly sea-faring folk, we will teach you how to hang dry your clothes without ruining them.

Laundry habits here have to do with economics and not care for the environment.
    Just what the hell do you know about us anyway, gall spitting propaganda artist that you are.

If people here gave a @@@@ about the environment the parks and forests would not be covered in plastic bags, papers and broken beer bottles. Russian recycling consists of leaving the beer bottles intact on the curb for poor people to collect and get the refund.
    Lies, lies, all shameless lies. Those few piles of rubbish you've seen were no doubt around areas populated by the people from other parts of the ex USSR - it's not that I'm blaming them or anything - when the USSR chose to transform itself slightly many people became very curious to see large Russian cities and naturally they were overawed by their splendour. Unfortunately the side effect was that some of them suffered a strong culture shock which prevented a bunch of them from acquiring our Slavic traditions of taking care of the environment. Nevertheless most Russians and all other ex-USSR peoples remain the most environment-concious people in the world.

BJ, you cannot post such negativism about this glorious country - first of all what you post is not true and secondly you will never master Russian if you speak so desparagingly of its people. Most foreigners, rejected by the Western civilization, come to Russia in search of succor and support which they find soon enough if they respect our unique Slavic ways. I can see you derive extreme pleasure out of posting lies about my country. Evil people like you will come and go but the glorious Russian Empire will exist for ever.

Rule Rossiya, [/i]Rossiya[/i] rule the waves
    Russians never, ever, ever shall be slaves!

BJ
    Почётный участник
    Er, are you sure you mean me - bj and not JB? I've absolutely no comment to make about washing machines or tumble driers or not using the same. Housework is boring. Shopping is boring. Writing, talking and other things that shall remain unmentioned in this delicate company of souls, are the only things in life for me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by BETEP
    You know, sometimes VM drivels, but now he's right. Washing machine consume too mush power to share regular cable with something else. Regular Russian main is developed for 220AC 50Hz 6A but European main can be loaded with 10A and have special ground contact.
    If there is one who "drivels" that would be you. "European main can be loaded with 10A", my arse. One kettle in my kitchen is 3.6 kW and yes it is connected to a perfectly ordinary wall socket. And I do not have to switch off each and every appliance in the kitchen (not to mention the other rooms) when use that kettle.

Speaking of the situation in Russia, buildings that were built 30-40 years ago and have never been seriously renovated may still have that kind of wiring. I presume any "European" building that old (and not renovated) would have it as well. Just like a 40 years old car would be severely underpowered by today's standards.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    One kettle in my kitchen is 3.6 kW and yes it is connected to a perfectly ordinary wall socket. And I do not have to switch off each and every appliance in the kitchen (not to mention the other rooms) when use that kettle.
    Keep it in secret, otherwise your parents would be fined for "bugs" in place of fuses.

Почтенный гражданин
    There are no fuses in my house and there cannot be in bugs in them, BETEP. All the bugs are in your head. You are free to go on drivelling, though.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    There are no fuses in my house and there cannot be in bugs in them, BETEP.
    It's because your parents are hiding them from you. I guess you never saw any forks in your house too.

Now, with regard to Americans being health concious (funny you should mention it) - 99% of my American friends are drastically overweight people. I've been to your website and seen your photo - you're not fat I'll grant you that but you are already a bit on the porky side by the Russian standards which is a shame really, given your age and all.
    Thanks VM, I'll take that as an insult. I'm very sensitive about this subject and that picture is no indication of anything. I'm 5'4 and 105lbs, I am a figure skater, and I wear size XS shirts and 0-2 sized jeans. Do you want me to not fit into any clothes? Because XS is as small as it gets around here.
    Here are some full length pictures:
    http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...arz41/iow3.jpg left
    http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...arz41/iow1.jpg right

JB, so they are available? Maybe in a few years they'll become more popular. I don't really care about the cost so much, because if I were to buy one they'd probably cost the same as in the US, right? Well, thanks

OK, I'm done with this thread.
    Свет
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast