Thread: The Russian Military

Новичок

The Russian Military

I've heard that almost anyone who joins the Russian army (rather than those who are drafted) is made an officer. Is this true? Does this mean that they have 17 year old (or whatever the minimum age is, actually could someone tell me what it is.) ordering old men by the dozens or am I completely wrong? Is the Russian army active anywhere right now?

Thanks

Завсегдатай

Re: The Russian Military

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreen
    I've heard that almost anyone who joins the Russian army (rather than those who are drafted) is made an officer. Is this true?
    No. You can't be an officer unless you have been trained to be one, either in a military school or by taking special military training course as a part of your higher education. If you, for example, went to a university where such a military training was required and then join the army, you'll be made an officer. If your training in the university or institute did not include military training, after the graduation you'll be drafted as a private.

If you are a male, not a student and have not yet been drafted, you can't join the Army except by being drafted. After you have done your obligatory service in the Army, you can volunteer and sign a contract. But that doesn't mean you'll be automatically made an officer or even a sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreen
    Does this mean that they have 17 year old (or whatever the minimum age is, actually could someone tell me what it is.)
    18 y/o for active service; 17 y/o to enter a military school.

Is the Russian army active anywhere right now?
    Sure. Chechnya.

Почётный участник
    Is the Russian army active anywhere right now?
    Yeah, their fighting the most fierce ongoing war in the world today.
    Their is a whole thread about it:

http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=2753

Along with all the references on that thread. You may want to check this out, a picture gallery of pictures taken from the front, some in the middle of firefights. Be forewarned that some of the pictures are somewhat horrific ( it's a real war.

http://www.pbase.com/igor01/chechnya

The Chechens are Islamic extremists, much like the Al Queda and I am sad to say that this beheading stuff that America is just starting to experience has been an ordinary thing in the Chechen war and much worse.
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    http://www.paladinrepublic.com

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 Canon
    The Chechens are Islamic extremists
    I know little about this but are you saying that all 'Chechens' are 'Islamic extremists'?

Увлечённый спикер
    [quote=майк]
    Quote Originally Posted by "44 Canon":2g82nm3v
    I know little about this but are you saying that all 'Chechens' are 'Islamic extremists'?[/quote:2g82nm3v]

No guys, sorry, but you're completely wrong saying that they are extremists! First of all they're RUSSIAN CITIZENS. There is no country named Chechnya! It's a place in Russia like, for instance, Moscow region or Ural. Extremism is actually in the thoughts that they are not russians. These ideas are provided most possibly from external side. And it's the simple sabotage! There're pretty much forces interested in destabilization of the situation in Chechnya in Russia. US government is one of the possible examples (by the way, now we see it in Georgia with their crazy really ill "president"). And, please, don't think that I'm against America at all. I have good friends there and so on. Thanks for reading.
    As Drent binj altied stoned umdaj tuschen Hunebedden woont!

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=Kostja]
    Quote Originally Posted by майк
    Quote Originally Posted by "44 Canon":2rs0lolp
    I know little about this but are you saying that all 'Chechens' are 'Islamic extremists'?
    No guys, sorry, but you're completely wrong saying that they are extremists![/quote:2rs0lolp]
    I don't know which 'guys' you are refering to Kostja but my post was a simle question.

44 Canon posted:
    I was simply seeking to clarify whether or not 44 Canon was refering to all Chechens.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostja
    There is no country named Chechnya! It's a place in Russia like, for instance, Moscow region or Ural
    Mmm, just like Moscow region. Lawless, mountainous, Moslem Moscow.

Up next on Fox: why Ulster is just like Norfolk.
    А если отнять еще одну?

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by joysof
    Mmm, just like Moscow region. Lawless, mountainous, Moslem Moscow.
    Do you want to do the same as Stalin, who got all of 'em in Syberia in one day?
    No doubt that if somebody or sth having enough power was interested in Moscow as a lawless (even mountainous) place it woud be it already.
    And if you want to see that chechenians are russians just watch the football match in Moscow today ("Terek" - the product of the lawless land is playing on the european level).
    Question: Is Chechnya far more lawless than any other place in Russia, including Moscow region Do you think that there're more murders than in US now -one the most criminal country in this world if we're speaking about murders.
    Chechenian near-border location is just convenient for EXTERNAL military actions and sabotage.
    Now we are beggining to speak about places around Georgia as lawless area, source of terror. Maybe it'll be normal for us soon and we'll get several other Chechnyas...as Saakoshwilly wants (not himself certainly...).

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostja
    Extremism is actually in the thoughts that they are not russians.
    But they ARE NOT Russians...

These ideas are provided most possibly from external side. And it's the simple sabotage! There're pretty much forces interested in destabilization of the situation in Chechnya in Russia. US government is one of the possible examples
    Of course there's US hand there... But everyone always has a choice, and I do not respect those who so easily can become somebody's puppet and I do not care about their future. They have made their choice. It was wrong.

[quote]And if you want to see that chechenians are russians just watch the football match in Moscow today ("Terek" - the product of the lawless land is playing on the european level). [/qoute]

Yeah, product of chechnya... Federal money and ethically Russian players...

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Ivanov
    But they ARE NOT Russians...
    "Russian" has two different meanings. Are Chukchis russians Are people from Altay russians Who will say for instance that black men and others in America are not americans

But everyone always has a choice
    Georgians had a choice making their US provocated revolution, Chechenians -- not (information and so on made its job). And is it possible to say that most of terroristic attacks in Russia were organized in Chechnya or in any other islamic country No!

Yeah, product of chechnya... Federal money and ethically Russian players...
    Yes, federal money for the federal people Ethnically Chechenian trainer and fans...don't really know about players...

(By the way, I was participating in making of population census in Moscow. My conclusion is: Chechenians who live here are the most educated people in this city.)

Почётный участник
    No I am not.

Refer to Kostjas post for what I mean. I couldn't have said it better.
    Chechnya to Russia is like Texas to the US. It's my understanding that this war is all over the RUSSIAN people in Chechnya, which a break apart might result in torn families much like North and South Korea.
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine

Увлечённый спикер
    Chechnya to Russia is like Texas to the US. It's my understanding that this war is all over the RUSSIAN people in Chechnya, which a break apart might result in torn families much like North and South Korea.
    Now I see what you mean. You're right, sorry.

Завсегдатай
    Chechniya is kinda like texas, how everyonce in awhile they try to break from the US and form their own crappy poluted country. The only difrence is texas never actually follows through, where chechniya did.

What is going on in chechniya now ? I thought russia pulled out and let them try to kill themselves off. What it didn't work ?

I dont understand why they dont just flatten the place but ok, i trust in putin.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почётный участник
    I don't want to comment on that until I get my own facts straight, but I am doing a book about the war in Chechnya and it will be based entirely on personal accounts and historic records and will probably answer your question in detail.

Chechnya is kinda like Texas, how everyonce in awhile they try to break from the US and form their own cra@@y poluted country. The only difference is Texas never actually follows through, where Chechnya did.
    I suggest looking in to the political side of Texas during the civil war. It says allot about Texas today.
    In all truth, Texas to this very day really is very separate from the US in many ways do do some of the things that happened during the Civil War.
    Texas as far as I know, has never tried to break away from the country during the 20th and 21st centuries. They have just successfully refused to buy in to some of the unconstitutional national practices and the media and liberals made it in to something other then what it really is.
    The closest state in the country to break away ( and the only one that really has made effort to break away as far as I know ) is California.
    St. Augustine

Завсегдатай
    isn't it "illegal" or whatever... to break away from the union ?

Isn't that what the civil war was about.

And... that would be weird, if it was another country, just right there !
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почётный участник
    isn't it "illegal" or whatever... to break away from the union ?

Isn't that what the civil war was about.

And... that would be weird, if it was another country, just right there !
    Texas never broke away. It is hard to explain what happened, and would take all day. You'll just have to research what happened.
    In short, Texas has political roots that make them immune to many federal political dealings that every other state is subject to, most which are seldomly noticed or paid attention to.

I could be wrong, but I don't think their is anything in the constitution that says anything about breaking away from the country. It is only obvious that the Union would create something like that though, just as it was illegal for the Colonials to break away from England resulting in the Revolutionary war.
    You really should study the Civil War overall. It's a very interesting and misunderstood subject ( most people using that black and white thinking process mentioned by another forum member.
    The north and south both had their goods and bads but in essence, it was very much equal to something like the Democrats and Republicans going to war today.
    It wasn't all about slavery or breaking away, and quite often, views on different matters ( especially slavery ) were well interwoven between the north and south, where the whole of society ( on both sides ) disagreed with slavery but had different views about how to deal with it ( north to use military force, south to let it die at the hands of class-action and rehabilitation of slaves to survive in the world.
    The ultimate theme was that the South wanted to stick behind the constitution ( which prohibited use of military force against citizens among other things ) while the Union was wanting to expand and the Constitution was getting in it's way.
    While most people in the south were against slavery, the slave industry ( who had entire slave camps ) who was responsible for most of the true slave abuse ( in most homes, slaves were becoming more like family members by that time ) was having a big impact on the Unions industry ( and note that the Union had an even worse slave system, but technically wasn't slavery ) and the Union made a big stink about it which is partially how slavery became such a big issue.
    The south never truly attempted to part with the union, but rather refused to abandon the constitution that the Union demanded they do ( with Slavery as their example ) and eventually, under pressure, Abraham Lincoln declared war on the south.
    In the end, the south turned out to be the lesser of the 2 evils. Under their own jurisdiction, they did not invade other peoples lands and were the first to make peace with the natives.
    After the war was over, the Union proved how bad they truly were in the forge of what you foreigners may think of as "Cowboys and Indians" and the conquest of the west.
    In addition, they also took southerners lands and homes and gave them to uneducated slaves, who squandered them off, many who were being rehabilitated when the war broke out and were looked at as stabbing them in the back.
    Sad to say, what was a fairly small radical group at the time called the Ku Klux Klan gave the south the famous "told you so" which caused an explosion of the KKKs membership REAL racial disaster in the south which remains to this very day.
    In addition to literature, might I recommend a good movie about the Civil War. It's called: Gods and Generals. It's a true story which they did a very good job on. It really brings out that intermix of views between the north and south, as well as the brotherhood between both sides ( friends shooting at eachother.
    Most of the film revolves around Stonewall Jackson who was quite a character himself.
    Professional Civil War reinactors were hired as the extras producing a more real life view on the "people side" of the war then is normally portrayed in war movies. They also used more authentic old fashion southern and union accents, which most people today might mistake for being stage talk. My only complaint is that they showed TO much of the good side of the south and not enough of the bad ( people need to see both sides to make a good judgment ) although they still showed both good and bad sides to both the north and the south.
    St. Augustine

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Chechniya is kinda like texas, how everyonce in awhile they try to break from the US and form their own cra@@y poluted country. The only difrence is texas never actually follows through, where chechniya did.
    Texas was a republic before it joined the US. And I think it's the only state who's flag can be flown at the same height as the US flag, because Texas reserved the right to seceed. It'll never happen,and it'd be an idiot thing to do, but we technically could be our own country again.