Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pimsleur, good or bad?

mike
    Well, Dogboy actually is a raging alcoholic so maybe in this case it is appropriate.

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by z80
    I beleave that everyone in life has something to contribute. Some people are clear and precise about what they want to contribute, while others only contribute something by "accident". Regardless, every one contributes, and for that we should be tolerant of everyone else.
    I agree!

Mike Is that true Dogboy

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    quot[e="z80"]I beleave that everyone in life has something to contribute. Some people are clear and precise about what they want to contribute, while others only contribute something by "accident". Regardless, every one contributes, and for that we should be tolerant of everyone else.

true... true.

I am definately not making fun of Dogboy. He lighten's things up around here. It's good to lighten up every now and then! He reminds me of sitting around drinking with friends and just talking about whatever, not worrying about if it makes perfect sence or not. Thats when you have some of the best conversations! (Except for the fact that you can't always remember them)

Besides, I'm sure he's loving all the attention .

Завсегдатай
    I'm 16
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    16 year old alcoholic.
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

mike
    Yeah, for shame. Go drink some milk to calm your deteriorated stomach lining, alcy.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    I'll send dogboy some Australia beer. He'll never drink again, it just tasts so bad.

We call beer piss here, because it looks like piss, tasts like piss (No I haven't drinken piss to prove this one) and it makes you piss.
    I hate Signatures

mike
    I'd say that's how all beer is. Try a Samuel Adams. It will make you want to defect to the redcoats.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Oh. I thought it was just an australia thing, I though that beer must tast good to other people, but just not me. Guess I was wrong.
    I hate Signatures

Завсегдатай
    МАМА !! Я хочу ВОДКУ!
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Yerh right dogboy. I'm going to ring up your mum and tell her that.
    I hate Signatures

Завсегдатай
    Mom*, and i was making fun of myself... seeing as i have become everyones favorite underage rehab patient, i decided to take advantage. what do u aussies calls fathers? duds? *my papa was a real dud* i also like to say друг with an american U, so then you can say "My only freinds are Drugs" .. get is Drug, Droog, HAHAHAHAH *i think this is that alchohal talking*

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    yerh, you are a real loser. You'd make a good Australian.
    I hate Signatures

mike
    I think Pimsleur is ok, if not a little limited. I definitely wouldn't pay $345 for each unit. That's just insane.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Mom*, and i was making fun of myself... seeing as i have become everyones favorite underage rehab patient, i decided to take advantage. what do u aussies calls fathers? duds? *my papa was a real dud* i also like to say друг with an american U, so then you can say "My only freinds are Drugs" .. get is Drug, Droog, HAHAHAHAH *i think this is that alchohal talking*
    It's actually pronounced like drook.
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

Новичок
    Hi Karenia47,

About Pimsleur, maybe I can offer some useful info.

I think you should determine how your brain is "geared" to learn language. For example, I do not have a strong background in language and tons of grammatical books will never help me. I am the "village idiot" and thus need an instructor, or some practical method like audio tapes or CDs. Other people can learn simply by reading a book.

I purchased pimsleur because I was going to the Ukraine to meet a friend on holiday. No one recommended Pimsleur, I simply saw it in a Borders Bookstore and got it. I had 3 months before departure and on average I studied 5 nights a week for 45 minutes. I used cassette tapes and would rewind them as many times as needed to master a lesson. In 3 months I completed Pimsleur I and completed 1/3 of the lessons on Pimsleur II (I think the cost was about $250 for both).

When I arrived in the Ukraine I could effectively communicate. It was slow, and I am sure my grammar was bad, but in most cases there was common understanding (the fact that most Ukrainians knew about the same amount of English helped). I could do simple things like purchase goods at markets, interact in public, speak at family dinners etc. I COULD NOT understand them in group discussions. They spoke way too fast. With only 3 months....I guess it is understandable. There were a few times when it became frustrating, but that is when I broke out the phrase book/dictionary (as long as you use the book on only rare occasions it is perfectly acceptable and doesn't become annoying).

Anyway, I hope this helped.
    SK

Подающий надежды оратор
    if you don't want to spend $200 on the course, you can borrow it for FREE from your local public library! ( and some naughty people have even been known to make copies of the tapes and have their very own copy)...

i used the "short course" and i actually remember everything that i learned in it! it took me about a week and it teaches you how to say "i don't understand, you speak russian very well, where is pushkin street? would you like something to eat? drink? i would like beer, wine, " etc...
    i'm sure if you used all 3 courses you would have a good basic working knowledge of the language.

Новичок
    Hi Zhena,
    Agree with all you say and I think mastering PIMSLEUR I-II & III will give you more than a working knowledge. My goal is to ofcourse be able to speak freely in all situations. Here Pimsleur falls short. I have discovered this because now I work close by some people in Central Asia - - Uzbekistan, and Krgyzstan. I try to practice speaking once a day with them. I cannot understand them in most cases because they speak so fast. Many times I can understand their words if they speak slower. So, if you want to speak fluent, Pimsleur falls short. But I recommend it as a good start. The library is a great way to save some cash, but taping the cassettes I can't do.
    Later,
    S

Подающий надежды оратор
    The Pimsleur tapes are available for download on many P2P programs, the downlloads are not legal though. I have all three courses.

Завсегдатай
    Man, what is it with new forum users and reviving dead threads? I mean, there are more recent threads about Pimsleur if you want to talk about it so badly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12