Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Russian given names and surnames

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    10

    Russian given names and surnames

    Is there a practise in Russian of combining a person's given name with the surname to produce a nickname for that person? For example, would Maria Kirilenko be called Makiri or Maria Sharapova, Mashara? I've heard a few people refer to Maria Kirilenko as Makiri. Is that a Russian practise or just someone being playful with a name?


    (btw just fyi, Maria Kirilenko is also a Russian tennis player and the best friend of Maria Sharapova. She's cute too, just like her buddy. :P )

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Нижний Новгород
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Russian given names and surnames

    Quote Originally Posted by mashamania
    Is there a practise in Russian of combining a person's given name with the surname to produce a nickname for that person? For example, would Maria Kirilenko be called Makiri or Maria Sharapova, Mashara? I've heard a few people refer to Maria Kirilenko as Makiri. Is that a Russian practise or just someone being playful with a name?


    (btw just fyi, Maria Kirilenko is also a Russian tennis player and the best friend of Maria Sharapova. She's cute too, just like her buddy. :P )
    Never heard of such practice.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Я про это только читал в книге "Республика "ШКИД" Григория Белых и Алексея Пантелеева, по которой снят одноимённый фильм. Там, к примеру, у директора было прозвище ВикНикСор - Виктор Николаевич Сорокин.

    В школе у нас была учительница математики Тамара Фёдоровна Галайко, так вот её иногда, по аналогии, за глаза называли Тафёга.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    I agree - most of such nicknames are given to school teachers and are sarcastic.
    Я так думаю.

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Нижний Новгород
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    10
    Or some new invented Revolution time names like Владилен (ВЛАДимир Ильич ЛЕНин) and even heard of name Вилор (Владимир Ильич Ленин Октябрьская Революция).

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    Да здравствует Первое Мая! - лозунг, ставший источником имени Даздраперма.

    Фамилиям Троцкого, Ленина, Бухарина и Зиновьева стала в 1919 году обязана девочка Тролебузина.

    Бедные дети!

    http://kto-kto.narod.ru/bl-bl-3/dazdraperma.html
    Я так думаю.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Тролебузина - это, кажется, такой огроменный, неповоротливый троллейбус!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13

    Да, наверное!
    Я так думаю.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Что!?!? Никто не сказал "Нинел?" Ну, интересно замечать, что самый быстрый рост имён для детей в США в этом году: "Nevaeh." Не знаешь эта имя? Это -- слово "Heaven" (Рай) наоборот!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    Что!?!? Никто не упомянул/сказал про "Нинель?" Ну (if you meant well, then word что ж will suit pretty good here) , интересно заметить, что самый быстрый рост имён для детей в США в этом году(?): "Nevaeh." Не знаешь это имя? Это -- слово "Heaven" (Рай) наоборот!
    Я так думаю.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    Что!?!? Никто не упомянул/сказал про "Нинель?" Ну (if you meant well, than word что ж will suit pretty good here) , интересно заметить, что самый быстрый рост имён для детей в США в этом году(?): "Nevaeh." Не знаешь это имя? Это -- слово "Heaven" (Рай) наоборот!
    Thanks Leof. What I was trying to say was "Well, it's interesting to note that the fastest growing name for children last year in the USA was Nevaeh. You don't know this name? It's the word heaven spelled backwards!" Is my translation (except the errors you fixed) understandable?

    Oh, and also, FYI: "if you meant well, than word что ж will suit pretty good here" You should use THEN not THAN here. Then=то and Than=чем. I'm sure you know this, but here are examples just in case:
    -If you are going to the store, then buy some milk please (This is just like the если, то constrution in Russian -- the classic if-then statement in English)
    -I'd rather go to the store than stay home (a comparison, just like if you said мой стол болше, чем стол Людмилы. )
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    thanks Barmaley! I wrote it unconsciously.
    Я так думаю.

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    "Well, it's interesting to note that the fastest growing name for children last year in the USA was Nevaeh. You don't know this name? It's the word heaven spelled backwards!"
    Are you serious? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If they're going to use backwards words for names I like 'kcoc rekcus'.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    "Well, it's interesting to note that the fastest growing name for children last year in the USA was Nevaeh. You don't know this name? It's the word heaven spelled backwards!"
    Are you serious? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If they're going to use backwards words for names I like 'kcoc rekcus'.
    Yep. I couldn't make anything this crazy up!

    In 1999, there were only eight girls born in the United States named Nevaeh. Last year, it was the 70th most popular name for American baby girls - ahead of Michelle, Amanda and Vanessa.

    The spectacular rise of "Nevaeh" (commonly pronounced "na-VAY-uh") is nearly unheard of, name experts say. It broke into the top 1,000 girls names in 2001. Four years later it cracked the top 100 with 4,457 newborn Nevaehs - the fastest climb for any name since the Social Security Administration started keeping track of American names over a century ago, naming analysts say.


    Full text: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/17/news/heaven.php
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    What I was trying to say was "Well, it's interesting to note that the fastest growing name for children last year in the USA was Nevaeh. You don't know this name? It's the word heaven spelled backwards!"
    Interesting. I've heard that on some satanic rites there is a practice to read the bible from the end to the beginning. Some occult theories say that if the word is inversed that way it usually obtains quite the opposite meaning
    So, according to these speculations, the synonym of Nevaeh would be Hell.
    Brrrrrr.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Interesting. I've heard that on some satanic rites there is a practice to read the bible from the end to the beginning. Some occult theories say that if the word is inversed that way it usually obtains quite the opposite meaning
    So, according to these speculations, the synonym of Nevaeh would be Hell.
    Brrrrrr.
    Bizarre. What total assclowns. If you read this message backwards, you get a eikooc!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин BabaYaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    10
    OH NO!!! Not an eikooc!!!!


    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    What's eikook?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  19. #19
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Ah, that's cookie Slow thinking this morning. I'ts raining ant the weather is miserable in Moscow now.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Ah, that's cookie Slow thinking this morning. I'ts raining ant the weather is miserable in Moscow now.
    It's raining ants in Moscow!?!!?!?!?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question about non-Russian surnames
    By Hanna in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
  2. Native Russian Speakers, please go to Russian Names section!
    By thelaxu in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
  3. Russian dictionary of surnames
    By mercurius in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 21st, 2006, 10:57 PM
  4. Surnames
    By Knave in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 28th, 2004, 01:43 PM
  5. Russian Names
    By cheryl in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 16th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary