Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Lisa

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9

    Lisa

    My first name is Lisa, and I always spell it in Russian as:
    Лиса (which I heard means "fox").

    However, every time I put my name in a translator, it comes out as: Лайза.
    Which I think is a really ugly way of spelling my name.

    How is the word "lisa" actually spelt in Russian?

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    I don't like Лиса spelling exactly because it means "fox" and therefore my first impulse was to read it Лиса, not Лиса.
    I think you can use russian equivalent of your name Лиза.
    P.S. I know only one Лайза. That's Layza Minelli (Лайза Минелли).

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    I lost with the answer...
    Я так думаю.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Is it me or there was a VERY SIMILAR topic here? I remember something...

    Okay, anyway. Lisa, trust your transaltor. Lisa is always transliterated like that. And this is the way the name is rendered too. Or do you mean that you don't pronounce it yourself as "laizah"?

    Лиса is not just right. The word "fox" in Russian is spelled like that. But it is accentauted differently. Like it or not, you cannot change a language. However, there is a Russian name, equivalent one, which is written as Лиза. But using it for you would be incorrect because of extralinguistic factors.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,786
    Rep Power
    10
    Лиза

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom

    ...trust your transaltor.
    ...and that's probably the third or fourth time in the history of this website that phase has been uttered!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  7. #7
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Okay, anyway. Lisa, trust your transaltor. Lisa is always transliterated like that. And this is the way the name is rendered too. Or do you mean that you don't pronounce it yourself as "laizah"?

    Лиса is not just right. The word "fox" in Russian is spelled like that. But it is accentauted differently. Like it or not, you cannot change a language. However, there is a Russian name, equivalent one, which is written as Лиза. But using it for you would be incorrect because of extralinguistic factors.
    My name, Lisa, is pronounced "Lee-sa".
    So I guess you are telling me that Лиза would be the best choice.

    But something in me likes the visually-appealing look of Лиса. And the sound of "c" opposed to "з". Isn't Лиза pronounced, "Lee-za"?

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel

    But something in me likes the visually-appealing look of Лиса.
    Yes, but I think you're kind of missing the point. It may sound cool to you (and as an English speaker I agree!) but it's going to be confusing/ridiculous to a Russian! What would you think if some introduced himself as Toaster Ivanov or Luggage Petrov?!?!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  9. #9
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    What would you think if some introduced himself as Toaster Ivanov or Luggage Petrov?!?!
    That would be amusing , however embarrassing for the one who doesn't know what they are saying (as I am in my case).
    Yesterday my boyfriend made me say, "ой, как вкусно!" in front of his parents. That was embarrassing enough... I don't even think "ой" is an actual word-- rather a sound of joy. Am I right?

    But to not forget my last regard that has not been answered:
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    Isn't Лиза pronounced, "Lee-za"?

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,786
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Okay, anyway. Lisa, trust your transaltor. Lisa is always transliterated like that. And this is the way the name is rendered too. Or do you mean that you don't pronounce it yourself as "laizah"?

    Лиса is not just right. The word "fox" in Russian is spelled like that. But it is accentauted differently. Like it or not, you cannot change a language. However, there is a Russian name, equivalent one, which is written as Лиза. But using it for you would be incorrect because of extralinguistic factors.
    My name, Lisa, is pronounced "Lee-sa".
    So I guess you are telling me that Лиза would be the best choice.

    But something in me likes the visually-appealing look of Лиса. And the sound of "c" opposed to "з". Isn't Лиза pronounced, "Lee-za"?

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    love.angel, "ой" is an interjection having many meanings. In your case it was a surpise and satisfaction at once.

    About the pronunciation, you're right. However, taking in account the way you pronounce your name, it is quite possible to say "Лиса". Mind that the stress will fall on the letter и.

    When stress falls on the letter а, it will be "fox."
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  12. #12
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    11
    If your name is so close to a Russian name you should just use Лиза.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    Yesterday my boyfriend made me say, "ой, как вкусно!" in front of his parents. That was embarrassing enough... I don't even think "ой" is an actual word-- rather a sound of joy. Am I right?
    How is that embarrassing, unless you're attaching some sexual connotation to it, like Ты смелый русский хор?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  14. #14
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    How is that embarrassing, unless you're attaching some sexual connotation to it, like Ты смелый русский хор?
    No! You've got it all wrong...
    I'm an Italian-Canadian who doesn't know how to say much in Russian except "Привет; Пока; Как дела?; Хорошо; etc".
    So saying something out of the ordinary-- especially trying to make the sound "fkoo" at the beginning of вкусно-- is considered embarrassing for me!

  15. #15
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9
    Thank you Dimitri!

    Did you say "Привет Лиза" at the end?

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,786
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    Thank you Dimitri!

    Did you say "Привет Лиза" at the end?
    Да %)

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    So saying something out of the ordinary-- especially trying to make the sound "fkoo" at the beginning of вкусно-- is considered embarrassing for me!
    There's nothing embarrasing about it, unless your boyfriend told them you were a professional translator or something! Relax! They were probably impressed that you're actually learning the language...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  18. #18
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    There's nothing embarrasing about it, unless your boyfriend told them you were a professional translator or something! Relax! They were probably impressed that you're actually learning the language...
    You are probably right

  19. #19
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    How is that embarrassing, unless you're attaching some sexual connotation to it, like Ты смелый русский хор?
    Why yes, I am a brave Russian choir.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    How is that embarrassing, unless you're attaching some sexual connotation to it, like Ты смелый русский хор?
    Why yes, I am a brave Russian choir.
    You stole the signature that I've already stolen fair and square!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Similar Threads

  1. Homer, Lisa, etc.
    By adoc in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 16th, 2006, 04:43 AM
  2. spelling of the name lisa
    By kaiser552 in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary