Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Am Very Confused And Need Help Please

Завсегдатай

Re: I Am Very Confused And Need Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    You know that there is a lot of different ways to spell last names.
    Please give me an example of a Russian feminine surname that ends on "-ava" (with the stress on the first "a"... Well, or just with such ending).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Подающий надежды оратор

i am going to scan my passport although i should not but i am just to wipe this smuggness that you have.
    the name on my passport is in cyrillic yes? i cannot read cyrillic well so i always thought it was bakhvalova

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    What if it's one of the names from the Georgian region? E.g. Zurab Sotkilava.
    Bakhvalov(a) sounds completely Russian. Moreover, I don't think there are feminine Russian surnames that end on "-ava". Only "-ova", "-eva" (if we are talking about names that end on "-v-"). So Sotkilava is not a good example. Even the stress is different.
    I always thought that the last name of Casanova's husband should be Kazanov.

On the topic: I think the name is virtually possible though the very person is rather questionable.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    You know that there is a lot of different ways to spell last names.
    Please give me an example of a Russian feminine surname that ends on "-ava" (with the stress on the first "a"... Well, or just with such ending).
    Оль, у меня сразу два варианта футуристических женских фамилий:

Балаклава и Казанова.
    Я так думаю.

Подающий надежды оратор

virtual person?
    i came on this site for help
    not NARROW minded people who carnt open there mind for a second and accept what im trying to say.
    i have no reason to lie about my name i clearly made a mistake with the A at the end of bakhvalova
    if you add me on msn i shall send you a photo scan of my passport.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by iosifbakhvalova
    virtual person?
    I wonder where you've seen this word combination. It-ogo didn't write it. Maybe you open your mind and read posts more carefully?

Оль, у меня сразу два варианта футуристических женских фамилий:

Балаклава и Казанова.
    Good joke.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Старший оракул

Кошмар, да и только, тема для анекдота. Пять томов уголовного дела, но я так и не понял, есть а в конце или нет? Если всё-таки есть, то может ударение на о? Тогда не так уж всё и безнадёжно. А насчёт странных фамилий – у белорусов, например, такие чудотворные образцы встречаются, что волосы дыбором встают. Карака, Казмалы – те, кого я лично знаю. Хотя Казмалы может и не белорусы.
    P.S.Есть оказывается люди, которые Сталина не знают. Чудно!

Подающий надежды оратор

what do you mean there are people stalin did not know ))
    and i apologise again i read it wrong

and i apologise again i read it wrong
    Так ты ещё и русский неплохо знаешь! Добро пожаловать на MasterRussian!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Подающий надежды оратор

thanks on to the topic in hand im still debating to change my name as i do plan to go to moscow in the near future for permant stay and i dont want people to be shocked when they ask my name as people on this site where.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Хотя Казмалы может и не белорусы.
    В Белоруссии (и в Литовском княжестве, в которое долгое время входила почти вся Белоруссия) чуть ли не со времён Орды жила довольно многочисленная группа татар, многие из которых со временем забыли свой язык и перешли на тогдашний белорусский, оставаясь мусульманами. Существуют образцы текстов, написанных татарами на старобелорусском арабским шрифтом. В общем, там до сих пор живут потомки тех, старых татар, и многие из них выглядят совершенно как славяне, говорят по-белорусски (или по русски с белорусским акцентом), но при этом имеют татарские фамилии. Я сам был знаком с одним из них. Казмалы, скорее всего, одна из таких фамилий.

Завсегдатай

He meant that there are people who still don't know Stalin. Those people don't know Stalin, not the other way around

Подающий надежды оратор

oh i see thanks for clearing that up haha

Завсегдатай

when i tell people my name i get very strange looks and they say its very unique and im very confused.
    Iosif vissarionovich bakhvalova
    Иосиф Виссарионовича ьакхвалова
    I may change it.
    I still think that you're having us on...
    But here's an answer to your question. Your name is extremely weird, because:
    1) both Iosif and Vvissarion are rather rare names, and their combination is even more unique, as this is a name of a questionable Soviet leader Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin (and it's strange that you don't realize how weird it is).
    2) what's more important, you have a MALE name and a FEMALE surname, so I wonder if you are a female with a male name, or a male with a female surname. Either way it's crazy.

So.. better get used to the strange looks.

Подающий надежды оратор

honestly i am not having you on i cannot keep saying it enough times
    its up to you to believe me i guess right?
    as for what you just said im male lol 18 years old and i believe i did read it wrong as i said in before posts it should acutually be "bakhvalov"
    but you have my 100% word that im not fooling you , the A on the end of bakhvalova is my fault for reading cyrillic in-correctly :fool"

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    1) both Iosif and Vvissarion are rather rare names, and their combination is even more unique, as this is a name of a questionable Soviet leader Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin (and it's strange that you don't realize how weird it is).
    2) what's more important, you have a MALE name and a FEMALE surname, so I wonder if you are a female with a male name, or a male with a female surname. Either way it's crazy.
    3) How can someone live in the UK with a passport in Russian? Even Russians can't go abroad with their Russian documents and have to make an international passport where one can read all info in English and the name in English letters.

Подающий надежды оратор

i lived in russia until i was about 8 years,i wont go into detail but i was sent to my mother who is of orgin to the united kingdom the passport i had from a child in russia is the one im refering to with the name in cyrillic, like i said if you want to see a photocopy add me on MSN and il gladly show it you, surely then you would believe me?

Завсегдатай

as for what you just said im male lol 18 years old and i believe i did read it wrong as i said in before posts it should acutually be "bakhvalov"
    Sorry, I missed that part. So it's just Stalin's name that causes such a reaction. People probably wonder what person would name a child that way (like you may wonder after meeting young guy, whose name is Adolf Hitler or Lee Harvey Oswald, or something like that).

I don't think you need to change it, though. In most informal and semi-formal situations you'll be using your first name, which is a bit outdated, but not enough to make people stare at you. But if it does bother you change your patronymic a little (to Vladimirovich, for example), and you'll be fine.

Завсегдатай

i lived in russia until i was about 8 years,i wont go into detail but i was sent to my mother who is of orgin to the united kingdom the passport i had from a child in russia is the one im refering to with the name in cyrillic, like i said if you want to see a photocopy add me on MSN and il gladly show it you, surely then you would believe me?
    Okay, so you don't have any passport in English? If you were 8 years old, it's okay, but you're adult so you should have some document of the country where you live, right? I don't say I don't believe you, but what you're saying is strange.

P.S. I don't have MSN, I don't use it.

Подающий надежды оратор

the only documentation i have is my birth certificate which is again in russian,
    it is strange even for me as i've applied for jobs with the name bakhvalova thinking that was correct its just a huge error on my behalf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast