Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you help me write my name in Russian

Americans don't have their personal passports? So, how do you establish someone's identity or fill in forms with personal material? By driving license?

Почтенный гражданин
    Driving license, utility bill, Mormon genealogy voucher...

Unlike most European countries, the USA and the UK do not require their citizen-subjects to be able to identify themselves at all times and in all places. Yet.
    А если отнять еще одну?

Завсегдатай
    dogboy

I'm talking about Russia. We have one passport to use inside the country and another passport to go abroad. The first one we call just 'passport' and I'm interested in an appropriate name for the second one.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Americans don't have their personal passports? So, how do you establish someone's identity or fill in forms with personal material? By driving license?
    Lol... Actually, untill about 2 months ago had no ID. I couldn't do anything ! I couldn't open a bank account or anything ! But... i have like 5 pieces of ID now, and i'll have 1 more soon.

also, in america, you can use your social securty number for alot of things... though it can be a pain to memorize it.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by joysof
    Unlike most European countries, the USA and the UK do not require their citizen-subjects to be able to identify themselves at all times and in all places. Yet.
    For example you want to sell your house. How a purchaser supposed to know that the owner of the house is you? Believe in words? What personal documents are used for such deals? Can it be social security bill in US?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Lol... Actually, untill about 2 months ago had no ID. I couldn't do anything ! I couldn't open a bank account or anything ! But... i have like 5 pieces of ID now, and i'll have 1 more soon.
    What's an ID (physically)? What does it look like?

Завсегдатай
    To Russians curious about American ID:
    The driver's license pretty much serves as the standard ID for most Americans. It varies from state to state, but mine is just a card with my name, address, gender, height, weight, eye color, date of birth, and photo on it. It also has a magnetic strip on it(probably with more info) which is used by the police or department of motor vehicles if they need to check it(say if you get into a car accident or need to renew your license). You don't need to carry an ID with you at all times(well, if you're driving, obviously you should have your license with you). Dogboy is right in that a lot of times your Social Security Number is used to identify you. However, if you don't have a driver's license, anything with your picture and name on it will do(usually). In fact, some institutions require that you use a special ID with them. At the university I have to identify myself with my university ID(which just has my picture, name, date of birth, and student ID number on it) and at the bank I use my bank card(which has similar information on it).

For something more "important" however, you might need your birth certificate or something like that. To get my driver's license itself I needed to show them my birth certificate. Obviously you don't carry them around all the time with you.

As for an appropriate name for your загранпаспорт, it might be better to clarify exactly what it is(if it's important for you to distinguish it from your domestic passport) instead of just giving some sort of translation, since we have no equivalent here. Otherwise, I'd just call it your "passport" and your domestic passport your "ID." Not exact, but it works.

Завсегдатай
    yea, pravit prety much summed it up.

When i went to order my passport (the one to travel around the world =P)
    The girl infront of me got turned down because she didn't have her birth certificate.

Difrent situations call for difrent peices of ID. Obviously, if u get pulled over by a cop, he wont ask for your school ID, but your drivers license. So, as pravit said, it just fits the situation...

And, if you really want to know what they look like, i can take pictures of my ID's =P

(I also have a picture of pravit's drivers license ! )
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    a lot of times your Social Security Number is used to identify you.
    How can it be used to identify you if doesn't have your photo? Or it does?

For something more "important" however, you might need your birth certificate
    What for? Obviously it doesn't have your photo. In Russia you only need it when you get a passport, they get your name and your date of birth from it.

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: Can you help me write my name in Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi
    Hi, I've just started a russian course at the university, and I was wondering if you could help me write my name in russian.

Kimberly Chapman

which, I think looks like,

Кимварли Чапман

I think I screwed up on some of my vowels, but could some one who is a little more advanced let me know?

Thanks,
    Kimmi
    how about Кимварли Чепман ?

coz i think Чапман sounds more like 'chaaapman" in russian and Чепман more like ' chaepman' .. thats the closest u can get to ur second name in russian

conclusion - Кимварли Чепман

ps - enjoy

Почтенный гражданин
    а не Кимберли Чепмен?
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYZ
    а не Кимберли Чепмен?
    yes ... more correct

Кимберли Чепмен

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12