Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: сколько стоит ?

Почтенный гражданин
    it appeared in the cities that almost everyone lived in huge apartments that all look the same. Leftover soviet architecture from the 60s and 70s. There are some smaller older ones too that appeared to be cheaper or more expensive based on location and quality. There definately is not a suburb system like what we have with backyards for each house, fences for each property. You would have to go pretty far outside cities to see that i guess...I went as far as the metro could take me in petersburg in almost every direction and still couldnt see anything like what we have, but there were a couple 20 story apartments at the very edge of town and then the city just kind of ended abruptly. Its crazy...

In the nicer areas, new developments were being constructed in both petersburg and moscow but these are still high rise buildings. It doesnt really appear like there is a huge suburb movement that we have with houses that all look the same being constructed in blocks outside of cities.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    The large apartment blocks make servicing large amounts of people with public transport very efficient. How many “suburbs” do you see in western countries with good public transport?
    I hate Signatures

Завсегдатай
    hmm interesting. i guess thats america for you.. suberbia forever. дрew... с кем ты ехал в россии ?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин

Found some pictures of what im talking about

http://www.djh.dk/europe/photos/russia/sp36.jpg I stayed in the building on the left, farthest down. Notice how they all look alike.

heres another set of buildings http://www.djh.dk/europe/photos/russia/sp20.jpg

Завсегдатай
    drew when did you go? got any more picutres? sorry we kinda got off on the wrong foot.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Властелин
    Cost:
    How long is a piece of string? I was there just over two weeks, and including flights, visas, insurance, food and accomodation, and all the money I spent while I was there I reckon I must have spent about

JB
    Старший оракул
    My friends wanted me to drive their car when I was in Russia. They were so amazed that a woman could drive and own a car that they wanted me to prove it. But when I saw people driving in the wrong direction and on the sidewalks I refused to get out of the back seat. Also the potholes there are deeper and wider than the Suez Canal!
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by z80
    The large apartment blocks make servicing large amounts of people with public transport very efficient. How many “suburbs” do you see in western countries with good public transport?
    true the planning is very good, but at the cost of being an eyesore to some. I think its pretty cool, but some would have some culture shock.

I went last summer with my college, spent a month. Going in august for four months to petersburg again. I have tons of pics on my computer but they are really big and not hosted. I can try to get some up but i no longer have photoshop.

Новичок

Getting Around Moscow

Just thought I would add some info about getting around Moscow. I'm going to be there in 2 weeks, and plan to ride the metro quite often. It is one of the best public transport systems in the world. The stations are like museums, it is efficient, fast, and cheap. Here are some maps you can check out.

Moscow Metro Map

Moscow City Map

Почтенный гражданин
    Yeah, the moscow metro is rediculous, so many lines. I found some cool sites on the moscow and petersburg metros with pictures of the stations, here it is
    Petersburg:
    http://webspace-empire.de/metroplanet/s ... allery.htm

Moscow:http://www.metropla.net/eu/mos/pix/mos-gallery.htm could take a while to search through...they have 11 lines

Check out both, they are really interesting. St. Petersburg has a couple stations with Mayakovsky and Dostoevsky themes to them.

Почтенный гражданин
    metro station or museum?

hope the person doesnt mind me posting the link

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by z80
    Swedish suburbs have good public transport. It seems American suburbs do, too, but I guess I haven't been there long enough to know for sure.
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

JB
    Старший оракул
    In California public transportation is nonexistant or a joke.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    California...liberal*cough*...democrat*cough*
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

JB
    Старший оракул
    You'd think those liberal Democrats would get out of their SUV's long enough to vote in a decent public transport!
    The newest branch of the Metro opens by my house in July. It will be great for going to some fun tourist spots but it doesn't go anywhere near my work. So all of us Angelinos will have to keep guzzling gas and making smog.

Завсегдатай
    i was talking to my russian friend alex, who is from moscow, he might come with us, anyway he said that you can buy cars for like 20 dollers, and if a cop pulls you over, all you have to do is "show him your green money" and you'll be fine. anyways, what if i wanted to just go live for in indefinite amount of time ?say i wasn't sure when i wanted to leave. i think a year woud be good, so i could see it in summer and in fall. or, are the only people who can stay longer than a month russian citizens and students ?

JB
    Старший оракул
    Dogboy, I think your friend is teasing you. Forget the car.
    You cannot get into Russia without a visa. To get a visa you must have an invitation from a tour agency,a hotel, a business or a Russian resident. You send this document along with your passport to your nearest Russian Embassy (I think you would use the San Francisco office). They issue you a visa with an entry and exit date. You cannot get into Russia before your entry date and you have to be outta Dodge by your exit date. While you are in Russia you must carry your passport and visa with you at all times in case you get stopped by the police (who randomly check documents at will). You also have to register at a special office within 3 days of arriving in the country or your visa is in trouble.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    Dogboy, I think your friend is teasing you. Forget the car.
    You cannot get into Russia without a visa. To get a visa you must have an invitation from a tour agency,a hotel, a business or a Russian resident. You send this document along with your passport to your nearest Russian Embassy (I think you would use the San Francisco office). They issue you a visa with an entry and exit date. You cannot get into Russia before your entry date and you have to be outta Dodge by your exit date. While you are in Russia you must carry your passport and visa with you at all times in case you get stopped by the police (who randomly check documents at will). You also have to register at a special office within 3 days of arriving in the country or your visa is in trouble.
    I dont know about carrying the visa and passport at all times, i went with xerox copies instead which is less risky keeping my passport and visa in my room. When we went to moscow though, I had it in pocket because our teacher said they check there more often.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    I can't beleave the photos of the metro !!! What a bit of art work, and there all diferent too, no chance of getting off at the wrong stop.

Dogboy, get out of your american "i must have a car" attitued.

Public transport during the soviet era was used by the great majority of the population in Moscow and SPB.
    I hate Signatures

JB
    Старший оракул
    drew881, I never was asked for my visa by any police in the Far East or in Moscow. But getting checked can also depend on what you look like. As a blond female I was left alone. I'm also sure that had a lot to do with the police letting me off easy when I didn't register after I arrived in Russia. But in Moscow we saw people being checked (mostly dark haired or dark skinned males) everywhere. One day a bomb exploded in a metro station. For the next week there wasn't a dark male anywhere in public. I also have been told by friends living in Russia that the police love to harrass teenage males.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast