Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: University of Tartu, University of Latvia

Завсегдатай
    BETEP, so you live in Latvia! I was curious where you lived from an earlier post of yours. Thanks for your helpfulness!! I guess I'll look into it, but ISEP is specifically with University of Latvia. If I wanted to study EE at a different uni in a former Soviet state, I think I would go to Russia... Has anyone here studied in Russia? How much did it cost you? And how accepted are degrees from Russian universties in the West?

Почтенный гражданин
    I studied for a semester so you dont really get a degree, its just credit accepted at your university for that semester. I spent i think 8 grand for a ciee program semester, which was soemthing like 10 grand cheaper than a normal semester at my university so it is nice. If you dont care about the credits transferring, you can go straight through universities like st petersburg state or moscow, and it will be like 1000 i think, but depending on how strict your school is, the credits may not transfer and it will be harder for you to graduate on time. Basically these programs have better relations with universities, making it easier to accept the credits towards whatever degree you have.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    In India, almost 100% of the population speak English. In India, the English language is not considered "the white trash" language. 'nuff said.
    Nowhere near 100%. You could say 'almost 100% of the educated middle class', maybe that's true. India is still largely rural and there are still areas where people live the same was as they did 500+ years ago. Kerala might be an interesting exception.
    And where is English considered the 'white trash' language? Not here I think. Maybe France - and good luck to them, by the way
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    drew was referring to the possibility of visiting Russia while in Latvia, and of course he was correct.
    Sorry, I lost the thread. Of course Pravit have to obtain visa to get in Russia (I even don't know who don't have to) but Baltics is visa free.

Quote Originally Posted by drew881
    I think it said that only 60 percent of Riga's citizens speak Latvian.
    Be carefully with the word "citizen" when you talk about Latvia. It's not so easy. I think the number 60 is not correct. About a half of Riga's population is Russians and Russian-speakers. Many of them are gone to Latvia (especially to Riga) in Soviet times when the main part of Latvian official papers was written in Russian and only their children learn Latvian language in schools. Now, the official papers are written in Latvian language. This one is not going to be native for Russian-speakers but is not meaning they don't use that.
    In another hand, many of Russians live in Latvia very long time and share historical roots with Germans and Swedes. Actually, it is a very interesting part of history but it's long story. If somebody wants we can discuss it in Political forum.

The rest i think was german, russian and other languages.
    It's pity, but German language is no more popular in Latvia. "Other languages" is still popular at the East (a few people knows about Latgalian language).

In India, almost 100% of the population speak English. In India, the English language is not considered "the white trash" language. 'nuff said.
    You just have no idea what’s going on in Latvia and have the same knowledge about India.

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    BETEP, so you live in Latvia!
    Actually, I live in many places but Latvia is "Home, sweet home".

If I wanted to study EE at a different uni in a former Soviet state, I think I would go to Russia... Has anyone here studied in Russia? How much did it cost you?
    I'll could know that too but it's easy to ask Moscow's and Peterburg's residents.

And how accepted are degrees from Russian universties in the West?
    You should to ask this question in foreign office of specific West country. Do not forget to inform them about exactly name of university.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

BJ
    Почётный участник
    Do people go to Universities in their home towns in Russia or do they go anywhere they like? In the UK most students prefer to leave home at 18 and move to a University some distance from their parents. (although with the introduction of higher fees more are choosing to live at home to study locally) Is there an 'IVY' league of universities in Russia?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Nowhere near 100%. You could say 'almost 100% of the educated middle class', maybe that's true. India is still largely rural and there are still areas where people live the same was as they did 500+ years ago. Kerala might be an interesting exception.
    OK. I obviously could not have been everywhere in India. My estimate works in the capital anyway. Very different in Riga.

And where is English considered the 'white trash' language? Not here I think. Maybe France - and good luck to them, by the way
    Precisely. In Latvia, Russian is considered so. It is almost like Yiddish in Nazi Germany.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Precisely. In Latvia, Russian is considered so. It is almost like Yiddish in Nazi Germany.
    You do have some unsettlingly hyperbolic tendencies, bm. Thirty percent of the population of Latvia is ethnically Russian; indeed, in Riga itself, there are more Russians than there are Latvians. With this in view, I'm not sure that the 'Yiddish in Nazi Germany' parallel stands up.
    А если отнять еще одну?

Почтенный гражданин
    I spoke russian to people in Latvia who didnt know english. It didnt seem to matter. People were mainly helpful with directions, suggestions on where to eat, go out, etc. On a bus the driver told me where to get off for where i wanted to go (conversation in russian), and a provodnitsa on a train let 5 of us have a free train ride back to riga after us asking her when we got on how much we had to pay (first in russian, no english used).

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by joysof
    I'm not sure that the 'Yiddish in Nazi Germany' parallel stands up.
    Look up the definition of 'almost' in your favourite dictionary, joysof. At any rate, whatever is going on in Latvia is as far as you can get away with Nazism while joining the EU. I've read your posts about "racial profiling" in Moscow, but it is nowhere nearly disgusting there as it is in Latvia. I wonder why that country is still afloat given the amount of vomit their citizens and non-citizens should have produced by now.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Look up the definition of 'almost' in your favourite dictionary, joysof.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=almost

One of your less sensible posts, that. We all - except Nonna, perhaps - know what 'almost' means: it implies proximity. There isn't any. Or does adding an 'almost' make any nonsense acceptable these days? Some sort of semantic reflux? Do tell.
    А если отнять еще одну?

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm gonna start a band and all it "semantic reflux."

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    I'm gonna start a band and all it "semantic reflux."
    Wow! A great name for a band!
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почтенный гражданин

One of your less sensible posts, that. We all - except Nonna, perhaps - know what 'almost' means: it implies proximity. There isn't any.
    The Jews in Germany were labeled, and that label entitled them to less rights and more suffering than those non-labeled. Replace "Jews" with "Russians", and "Germany" with "Latvia", and hopefully you shall see that the rest applies verbatim.

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=bad manners]
    Quote Originally Posted by "bad manners":2s3uwwcu

One of your less sensible posts, that. We all - except Nonna, perhaps - know what 'almost' means: it implies proximity. There isn't any.
    The Jews in Germany were labeled, and that label entitled them to less rights and more suffering than those non-labeled. Replace "Jews" with "Russians", and "Germany" with "Latvia", and hopefully you shall see that the rest applies verbatim.[/quote:2s3uwwcu]

Grammar: 'fewer rights'.

Sorry, bm, but when you talk about 'almost' and 'verbatim', I expect a little more. Where's the Latvian equivalent of the Enabling Act or the Citizenship Law? What goes on with the Russians in the Baltic these days is a 'то отлив, то прилив' state of affairs and comparisons with Hitlerian Germany are not far short of odious. Unless you have something dramatic to share...
    А если отнять еще одну?

Почтенный гражданин
    BM knows something and thinks that he knows everything and even has solved the problem. I'm going to write a little essay about Latvia where explain some history details or at least correspond real facts without populism. I don't have so much time right now but I'll post into the forum it as soon as possible.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

Почтенный гражданин
    Oh. I'd expect you to say "Ugly ugly ugly fewer. Ugly." Nevermind.

If you think that I am going to start proving what you want me to start proving, then you've got another think coming, joysof my splendid old chap. Your adopting red herring tactics implies that you cannot dispute my analogy, which I am enormously pleased to notice. I, on the other hand, do not think it necessary to state anything beyond that analogy, because that analogy alone is already enough to speak about nationalistic (to put it mildly) tendencies in that pitiful country. When you have any hard facts that would enable you to disprove my analogy, it will be my pleasure to continue this discussion.

Почтенный гражданин
    Oh. I'd expect you to say "Ugly ugly ugly fewer. Ugly." Nevermind.

If you think that I am going to start proving what you want me to start proving, then you've got another think coming, joysof my splendid old chap. Your adopting red herring tactics implies that you cannot dispute my analogy, which I am enormously pleased to notice. I, on the other hand, do not think it necessary to state anything beyond that analogy, because that analogy alone is already enough to speak about nationalistic (to put it mildly) tendencies in that pitiful country. When you have any hard facts that would enable you to disprove my analogy, it will be my pleasure to continue this discussion.
    what a lame cop out

Почтенный гражданин
    what a lame cop out
    what a stinky arsehole

Почтенный гражданин
    Have you been eating raw ginger, bm? Logic appears to have deserted you.

Of course I can dispute your analogy: it's wrong, enormously so. I have already made the point that Latvia has no legislation to compare with that passed in Germany in the early thirties. At most, they're indulging in a little over-enthusiastic identity-reclaiming after nearly fifty yoked years. Ethnic Russians in Latvia have a difficult time; so do Algerians in Paris, Tutsis in Rwanda and Italian telephonics experts in Iraq. The world's a hell of a place and Latvia these days is one of the better places in it. Where's the herring? What more can I fetch you?
    А если отнять еще одну?

Почтенный гражданин
    joysof, it is you who appears to have been deserted by logic. I made one very simple statement: 'The Jews in Germany were labeled, and that label entitled them to less rights and more suffering than those non-labeled. Replace "Jews" with "Russians", and "Germany" with "Latvia", and hopefully you shall see that the rest applies verbatim.' Is there anything in this statement you want to dispute? (You need not mention 'less' again.)

As for "nearly fifty yoked years", then you must not forget that the country accepted it without any coercion whatsoever. It is true that the Soviet diplomatic terms had certain military backing, but that is the case with any diplomatic term which is not null and void. It was not quite like in Scotland where the population had been decimated a gazillion times before it accepted the English terms. It was not quite like in Finland either, which had not accepted the terms until it realized that they actually were moderate. Latvia accepted the terms by signing a treaty that was not predated by any hostilities.

Your mentioning some other nations and states is more of that stinky red herring. I do not eat it, thank you very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast