Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: привет!

Re: пуивет!

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee
    (и то и другое пишется через th, но θ = with, а ð = this)

My teachers and my vocabularies all said that "with" is pronounced with ð (as well as this).
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Старший оракул

But I don't think that it has migrated into the "American folk consciousness," becoming one of those songs that absolutely everybody knows.
    And what are those then? It helps to know them. There was a question concerning audio perception of the language. One of the reasons foreigners don’t get what natives are talking about is they don’t know what’s behind the conversation, while natives do. I hear your Mairzy doats and dozey doats and am instantly at a loss. What the…? Had I known the song things would be different. I remember rockzmom telling about the 7th-inning stretch in baseball and the song that fans always sing during that break , "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". Since then I’ve heard the fragments of the song in movies several times and instantly recognized it. It complimented my understanding of the conversations, going on, a lot. Where would I’ve been if it wasn’t for rockzmom?
    So, what are those that everybody knows, please?

Старший оракул

P.S. Вот мое издание Ожеговина Словаря Русского Языка, рядом с моими бывшими* крысами "Rugby" и "Soccer" -- можете ли вы отгадать, кто из них -- кем?

* I'm sure that is the wrong word here -- what's a better word to describe a pet that has died? Дохлый? Покойный?
    На самом деле, ни одно слово не подходит. Вот почему (Булгаков, "Мастер и Маргарита"):

"В милицию. [От] Члена МАССОЛИТа Ивана Николаевича Бездомного. Заявление.
    Вчера вечером я пришел с покойным М. А. Берлиозом на Патриаршие пруды..."
    И сразу поэт запутался, главным образом из-за слова "покойным". С места
    выходила какая-то безлепица: как это так -- пришел с покойным? Не ходят
    покойники!
    Действительно, чего доброго, за сумасшедшего примут!
    Подумав так, Иван Николаевич начал исправлять написанное. Вышло
    следующее: "...с М. А. Берлиозом, впоследствии покойным...". И это не
    удовлетворило автора.
    Слово "усопший" используется только в религиозном контексте. По отношению к домашнему животному больше всего подходит "умер", можно "подох".
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

[quote=it-ogo]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Throbert McGee":288kwcz9
    (и то и другое пишется через th, но θ = with, а ð = this)

My teachers and my vocabularies all said that "with" is pronounced with ð (as well as this).[/quote:288kwcz9]

Your teachers were not incorrect -- the "th" in "with" can be pronounced ð or θ (depending on geographical region), so "with" wasn't a very good model to use. I should've chosen a word like "thick" -- which is always said "θik," and never "ðik."
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    But I don't think that it has migrated into the "American folk consciousness," becoming one of those songs that absolutely everybody knows.
    And what are those then? It helps to know them.
    Well, it's a long list, but here's an "everybody knows it" song, for starters:

There's a place in France...
    Where the naked ladies dance!
    There's a hole in the wall
    Where the boys can see it all!

As you can hear in this longer and better-sung version, the tune was once known as "The Hootchie-Kootchie Dance", although most Americans probably don't remember that name any more. And the talented young woman with the ukelele and kazoo sings several additional verses, but 99.99% of us only know the four lines I give above.

Then there's "Hello Ma Baby" -- an American pop song from 1899 that was revived (and made immortal) by a singing frog in this 1955 cartoon. Several other pop songs from the late 19th century are heard in the cartoon, but "Hello Ma Baby" is the one that everyone knows the words to. (Note that "ma" was intended to represent the typical African-American pronunciation of "my".)

Hello ma baby!
    Hello ma honey!
    Hello ma ragtime gal!
    Send me a kiss by wire
    Baby, ma heart's on fire!
    If you refuse me,
    Honey, you'll lose me,
    Then you'll be left alone --
    Oh, baby, telephone,
    And tell me I'm your own!
    (NB: In 1899, the word "hello" was considered a slang expression mainly used on the new device called the "telephone" -- people didn't use "hello" as a greeting in everyday speech.)

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: привет!

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    P.S. Вот мое издание Словаря Русского Языка Ожегова, рядом с моими бывшими* крысами "Rugby" и "Soccer" -- можете ли вы отгадать, кто из них -- кто?

* I'm sure that is the wrong word here -- what's a better word to describe a pet that has died? Дохлый? Покойный?
    Let’s make it ты, not вы.
    Усопшими would be grave and funny at the same time.
    "Rugby" is big and white and the other one, let me see, aha, "Soccer",
    я так думаю
    Дохлый is very rudely, so that's not the best word for the pet, покойный is normal, but usually it is used for people, I always say: умерший about my dead rats, I've got 6 now, I buried one of them in the morning
    I'm looking for English speaking friends

Quote Originally Posted by Lusya
    Дохлый is very rudely, so that's not the best word for the pet, покойный is normal, but usually it is used for people, I always say: умерший about my dead rats, I've got 6 now, I buried one of them in the morning
    Awwww...

Примите мои соболезнования! They are such sweet and affectionate little guys, but we only get to enjoy their company for a few short years.

Завсегдатай

In fact, the only acceptable way to say that in Russian would be something like "с моими крысами [по имени Rugby и Soccer], которые уже умерли". You can't just manage with some Russian adjective here. We say покойный about people only, and other variants don't work either.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Подающий надежды оратор

Awwww...

Примите мои соболезнования! They are such sweet and affectionate little guys, but we only get to enjoy their company for a few short years.
    Thanks. You're right, rat's life is so short... But they give us so much love!
    I'm looking for English speaking friends

Thanks. You're right, a rat's life is so short... But they give us so much love!
    -- ПРЕВЕД Lusya!!! миня завут Рамона, я крыса, живу в клетке под кампютерным столом у Throbert! шерсть у мня бэлая И РОзавые глаза! мне уже 7 месицеф!! а ты забыла паставить артикл "а"!!! okay bye now i am sleepy from typing in russian

OMG! Олбанская крыса!
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12