Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Life after Pimsleur ?

  1. #21
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8
    Great great great !
    I am currently going through the Princeton courses, trying to catch up with all the grammar I never learnt so far... It's nice to get to know the level one is supposed to reach semester after semester.
    However, the dialogues to listen to are quite short compared to the time it takes me to read a whole lesson. Therefore, I am glad Grogs found those downloadable mp3's!
    fortheether: I think the audio can only be bought, but the texts and exercices seem nice to go through.
    paulb: any link to an example of one of these "learner's texts"?

    Take care all!
    Lyl.
    Excuse my english, I’m French.

  2. #22
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    ... I think the audio can only be bought...
    If you can bring here the texts and exercices, we can record an audio for you.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  3. #23
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    I've been using this lately:

    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/

    Its a free online textbook. It has tests for each chapter also. I didn't get the audio though.

    Scott
    Very professional looking. I'll have to give that a closer look. Are the answers to the chapter exercises online as well? I didn't see them anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    I am currently going through the Princeton courses, trying to catch up with all the grammar I never learnt so far... It's nice to get to know the level one is supposed to reach semester after semester.
    However, the dialogues to listen to are quite short compared to the time it takes me to read a whole lesson.
    I'm not quite sure I follow you. Are you saying that all of the PDF's in the SLA101 folder are an entire year's worth of Russian? If that's the case then is SLA105 folder the entire 2nd year? Honestly, I didn't even realize there was more than one semester in the zip file.

    As for the reading taking time, I don't think there's any way around that. Learning grammar is a necessary evil and a book is about the only way. Just keep telling yourself, "Я люблю трудные задачи."

  4. #24
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    I've been using this lately:

    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/

    Its a free online textbook. It has tests for each chapter also. I didn't get the audio though.

    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    Very professional looking. I'll have to give that a closer look. Are the answers to the chapter exercises online as well? I didn't see them anywhere.
    I don't see the answers either but generally they are in the text. Also as you know, there are a boat load of people here who can help.

  5. #25
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    ... I think the audio can only be bought...
    If you can bring here the texts and exercices, we can record an audio for you.
    Lampada,
    Almost at the end of:

    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/

    is "Listening passages". I believe that's the text of the recordings. It's a lot of stuff to record. Up to you.

    Thank you,

    Scott

  6. #26
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    ... I think the audio can only be bought...
    If you can bring here the texts and exercices, we can record an audio for you.
    Lampada,
    Almost at the end of:
    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/
    is "Listening passages". I believe that's the text of the recordings. It's a lot of stuff to record. Up to you.
    Thank you,
    Scott
    Тексты же не нужны все сразу. Я думаю, что вы бы могли здесь размещать нужные в данный момент тексты, а я или кто-то ещё будем их начитывать по мере поступления.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  7. #27
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    ... I think the audio can only be bought...
    If you can bring here the texts and exercices, we can record an audio for you.
    Lampada,
    Almost at the end of:
    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/
    is "Listening passages". I believe that's the text of the recordings. It's a lot of stuff to record. Up to you.
    Thank you,
    Scott
    Тексты же не нужны все сразу. Я думаю, что вы бы могли здесь размещать нужные в данный момент тексты, а я или кто-то ещё будем их начитывать по мере поступления.
    Excellent idea! I am on chapter 5 so it would be cool to hear the readings from the Listening passages for that chapter.

    Thank you,

    Scott

  8. #28
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    I'm not quite sure I follow you. Are you saying that all of the PDF's in the SLA101 folder are an entire year's worth of Russian? If that's the case then is SLA105 folder the entire 2nd year? Honestly, I didn't even realize there was more than one semester in the zip file.
    Ouch, then I guess I should get help from english forums as well
    I actually asked the Princeton Courses guy why there were no 27th and 29th lessons. He replied :
    "... beginning after Lesson 26, we spent 2 days every week on the Sarah Story - almost always with one "regular" lesson in between the two. First we did the "Text" lesson, then two days later the "Grammar" lesson."
    And after that : "Yes, the words marked 27 are actually from the first part of the Sarah story (I never noticed this before). Also, for the most part, there are never any new vocabulary items in the Sarah Grammar lessons - which is why the number in the Text lessons can be quite high.
    Here's are copies of the syllabi for 101 (first semester) and 102 (second semester)."
    So I guess SLA105 and SLA207 are 2nd year, but he hasn't answered me about that so far.
    Excuse my english, I’m French.

  9. #29
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    Here's are copies of the syllabi for 101 (first semester) and 102 (second semester)."
    So I guess SLA105 and SLA207 are 2nd year, but he hasn't answered me about that so far.
    I'm pretty sure you're right about 105/107 being the 2nd year. In the first 105 lesson, it says that the first two lessons of the course will review "what you learned last year in SLA101." It's just an unfamiliar numbering system (I'm used to 1xx classes for freshmen, 2xx for sophomores, etc.) and that paired with the fact that none of the folders are labeled 102 or 107 (only 101 and 105) makes it confusing.

  10. #30
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Тексты же не нужны все сразу. Я думаю, что вы бы могли здесь размещать нужные в данный момент тексты, а я или кто-то ещё будем их начитывать по мере поступления.
    Excellent idea! I am on chapter 5 so it would be cool to hear the readings from the Listening passages for that chapter.

    Thank you,

    Scott
    Scott, а где же эти тексты для начитки?
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  11. #31
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Тексты же не нужны все сразу. Я думаю, что вы бы могли здесь размещать нужные в данный момент тексты, а я или кто-то ещё будем их начитывать по мере поступления.
    Excellent idea! I am on chapter 5 so it would be cool to hear the readings from the Listening passages for that chapter.

    Thank you,

    Scott
    Scott, а где же эти тексты для начитки?
    Lampada,

    They are here:

    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/

    Click on "Book" then "Listening passages"

    Thank you,

    Scott

  12. #32
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Тексты же не нужны все сразу. Я думаю, что вы бы могли здесь размещать нужные в данный момент тексты, а я или кто-то ещё будем их начитывать по мере поступления.
    Excellent idea! I am on chapter 5 so it would be cool to hear the readings from the Listening passages for that chapter.

    Thank you,

    Scott
    Scott, а где же эти тексты для начитки?
    Lampada,

    They are here:

    http://www.gefix.net/sazov/

    Click on "Book" then "Listening passages"

    Thank you,

    Scott
    Could you please copy and paste here these passages for me in order for us to be on the same page?
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  13. #33
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    У меня не получается сору and paste c http://www.gefix.net/sazov/ Там какая-то другая кодировка. Если кто-нибудь может в этом разобраться, расскажите, что нужно сделать, чтобы можно было их тексты скопировать.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  14. #34
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Пятая глава. Четвёртое задание. Стр. 85

    http://sayandpost.com/ynofcu76a2.mp3
    __________________________

    Можно, конечно, подвешивать здесь аудио и без текста.
    Если хотите чтобы я что-то начитала, напишите здесь из какой главы и над какими заданиями вы работаете.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  15. #35
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Life after Pimsleur ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    Do you know other audio methods, but for a more advanced level ? (Well for someone who just finished Pimsleur's ,you got it...)
    Or audio stuffs that could be understandable for me ?
    I've found a product that's a pretty good follow-on to Pimsleur in my opinion:

    Vocabulearn

    The package consists of 12 CD's. Each CD consists of an English speaker saying a word, followed by a Russian speaker saying it in Russian. Halfway through the CD, they change the order (Russian first, then English). As far as quality, it's not the greatest, but unlike Pimsleur the set comes with a book that has a complete transcription of everything that is said. Also, unlike Pimsleur, the CD's have a lot or replayability. There are probably ~350 Russian nouns on the first CD, and unless you're a savant like Lylandra you won't pick them all up on the first, or even the tenth time you listen.

  16. #36
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    9
    The original site for the S Azov book has been down recently; I don't know whether or not this is likely to be an ongoing problem, but the materials can also, it seems, be downloaded at the following link:

    http://www.wlv.ac.uk/Default.aspx?page=12159

  17. #37
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    8
    The Spoken Language Service's Spoken Russian is good for in the car. It has a text. You do need to use the text but the audio has English and Russian. first read through with the text and audio. After that doing the audio in the car works very well. The text has the need grammar information.

    The one down side is being on cassette tape. I copied mine to the lap top and burned cds for the car.
    Dale

    Шампанское по утрам пьют только аристократы или дегенераты (pauses, checks out the bottle and drinks right from it) - Брилли

  18. #38
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,646
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD
    The Spoken Language Service's ...
    Dale, welcome to MasterRussian!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  19. #39
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD
    The Spoken Language Service's ...
    Dale, welcome to MasterRussian!
    Thank you. Nice forum with some great information.

    I am using Spoken Russian, Linguaphone Russian, Modern Russian 1&2, Vocabulearn Russian. I have used Pimsleur Russian 1-3. I am not a good language student. I need the audio these series offer to learn.

    I visited Russia and spenting my time photographing some old towns dating to Kiev Rus time. (I like Russian art, history, liturature, classical music. I love my Russian lady and Soviet era comedy cinama. )
    Dale

    Шампанское по утрам пьют только аристократы или дегенераты (pauses, checks out the bottle and drinks right from it) - Брилли

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Life is beautiful!
    By Leof in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: November 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
  2. How do you saw Glamorous Life?
    By Gina in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
  3. If my life depended on it
    By Grogs in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
  4. Old Pimsleur vs Newer Pimsleur
    By demoiselle in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
  5. Restingplace of life
    By Ninin in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 26th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary