Thread: Hi everyone I want to learn russian language..pls help

Подающий надежды оратор

Hi everyone I want to learn russian language..pls help

Hi there, I am Anne.I am from NZ and I just started learning russian so I guess I need you guys' help at the beginning. I hope to travel Russia this year because I want to give myself a break after finishing my Masters. so please anyone can help me this time I appreciate that.

Увлечённый спикер
    Just for a trip ? Then it won't be hard I guess, something like a droning Pimsleur , phrase books and such. Actually here, at the forum, lots of pointers and discussions are everywhere - just look around.

What was your Masters (if not a secret) ? I've got mine in Mechanical.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Hi there, thx for replying me and telling me that. Honestly, I know nothing about Russian language yet just at the very beginning. so I hope to get someone's help to guide me a little. Talking of books and tapes, I do think I need that. You know, russian words are pretty hard for me to read. Actually, I have all sorts of difficulties to learn this language. Do you have some specific advice to guide me abit? For example, what kind of study book/guide is best for the learners? and I need to get some tapes as well you know I need to practice my listening, etc. I am doing Masters in Business and Administration and gonna graduate by June. :P Yep, I wanna make a trip to Russia coz this is one of my dreams.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I am using the Linving Language Russian step by step book. Comes with 3 cd's full of audio to listen too. Althought this is also my first time but just reading doesn't seem to be enough untill the course required me to start listening to the cd's then all seemed to come to gether. Picked it up at Barnes and Noble, might be able to pick it up at B. Dalton Book stores also and costs around 20.00 dollars.

Also started writing down the words they prounce in the book on flash/index cards as suggested by a couple of people on the forums. Just writing them down really helped a bunch to remember the words. Figured once I get a good majority of some words down I will go back to my flash/index cards and try and learn how to write them in cursive.

The only reason I didn't go with Pimsleur is for I am cheap .
    Yea its just me, don't worry.

The cops came to my apartment one day. They took my Redbull and Vodka, I cried.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thx. I will look for the book and CDs. well, I think you are right coz writing the words down really helps one's memory. Thanks alot. I will come here often and share my study experience with you guys.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Another Kiwi hey?
    A three CD set is not very much, you will probably need the biggest package offered by the course you decide on.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Подающий надежды оратор
    This is just the "starter" course from living language. They have 3 or 4 Russian course to take. The one I have now. And soon as I get home from work I will look the others up and post them.....for me starting out with an easy program sounded like the best idea.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Yes I understand that. I just think that it will save you money if you just buy the large course to begin with. In my experience when you buy the first level of your course you will find that the first few lessons are the same as the introductory course which you may had already purchased.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Подающий надежды оратор
    Heh, never really thought of that but too late now I suppose. But no harm in the extra learning either.