Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A great site for reading practice

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    8

    A great site for reading practice

    Check out this site

    http://english.franklang.ru/35/

    The Russian version of the site is much more impressive, containing around 30 languages, each with around a dozen texts on average.

    Its a sentence by sentence literal translation of a text, then it repeats without the translation,
    its quite an effective method, try one story and see if you pick up anything.
    The idea of it is to save you time from having to look up every word you don't understand or having to find the correct accent center.

    Unfortunately the selection for English speakers learning Russian is rather sparse, but you can also use the section for Russian speakers learning English with the loss of accent marks of course (not a problem if you have alphlex tho) the selection is MUCH more interesting and abundant from this perspective.

    (click one of the free texts with the words "скачать бесплатно")
    http://www.franklang.ru/620/


    Bilingual texts (not sentence by sentence translation)
    http://www.franklang.ru/626/


    On a side note I like to use the section for Russian speakers learning Spanish, its great for the whole two birds one stone thing. The gaps you have in either language will fill each other in, its really helped me with both.

    Check it out.

  2. #2
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8
    Hi,
    I've started reading "Stories from my childhood", but I find many sentences quite odd. Is it because I am a real beginner, or is it written in a somewhat non-standard, non-academic form of russian ?

    Lyl.
    Excuse my english, I’m French.

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: A great site for reading practice

    Quote Originally Posted by scotttheshark
    Check out this site

    http://english.franklang.ru/35/

    The Russian version of the site is much more impressive, containing around 30 languages, each with around a dozen texts on average.

    Its a sentence by sentence literal translation of a text, then it repeats without the translation,
    its quite an effective method, try one story and see if you pick up anything.
    The idea of it is to save you time from having to look up every word you don't understand or having to find the correct accent center.

    Unfortunately the selection for English speakers learning Russian is rather sparse, but you can also use the section for Russian speakers learning English with the loss of accent marks of course (not a problem if you have alphlex tho) the selection is MUCH more interesting and abundant from this perspective.

    (click one of the free texts with the words "скачать бесплатно")
    http://www.franklang.ru/620/


    Bilingual texts (not sentence by sentence translation)
    http://www.franklang.ru/626/


    On a side note I like to use the section for Russian speakers learning Spanish, its great for the whole two birds one stone thing. The gaps you have in either language will fill each other in, its really helped me with both.

    Check it out.
    Good stuff - Thank you!

    Scott

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra
    Hi,
    I've started reading "Stories from my childhood", but I find many sentences quite odd. Is it because I am a real beginner, or is it written in a somewhat non-standard, non-academic form of russian ?
    Lyl.
    The stories seem ok. I'm not sure what academic Russian is, but I guess it's something people don't use in their everyday speech.
    So this text is certainly not academic. It's natural enough, but at the same time it's rather simple and isn't overloaded with colloquial expressions.

  5. #5
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: A great site for reading practice

    Quote Originally Posted by scotttheshark
    Check out this site

    http://english.franklang.ru/35/

    The Russian version of the site is much more impressive, containing around 30 languages, each with around a dozen texts on average.
    Thanks, the site is wonderful. Nonetheless, I found a few translation mistakes reading Spanish texts.

  6. #6
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    The stories seem ok. I'm not sure what academic Russian is, but I guess it's something people don't use in their everyday speech.
    So this text is certainly not academic. It's natural enough, but at the same time it's rather simple and isn't overloaded with colloquial expressions.
    Right, there is always a difference between what one learns at school and the everyday speech, so I guess that's why it looks a bit odd to me.
    Anyway, thanks again for those very useful texts.
    Excuse my english, I’m French.

  7. #7
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    9
    Just the job! Thanks Scottheshark.

Similar Threads

  1. A great site about The Great Patriotic War.
    By Basil77 in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
  2. a great radio site and way to find out who sings what
    By Lt. Columbo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 21st, 2009, 03:13 AM
  3. A great way to practice listening skills
    By moscowflix in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
  4. great site
    By possopo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 27th, 2005, 01:20 AM
  5. Another great site about Petersburg
    By astarz41 in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 20th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary