Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: please make a sticky

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Хазард,США
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    11

    please make a sticky

    i suggest some make a sticky that tells how many posts you have to get to make a certain rank
    Bush is a conformist.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    I suggest we all get personalized titles after we hit "Снова Новичок". I'm hating it! Mine, for one, could be "Принц Сомали"....

    If there should be a sticky made about anything, it should be:
    1) How to start learning Russian. Basically this says that if you come here babbling about us teaching you Russian, you agree to at least buy some books and listen to some radio. We can even have the part where Jas says "Get the Penguin Russian courses and Nicholas J. Brown's Learner's Dictionary."
    2) How to say "I love you."
    This will save us minutes of wasted copying, pasting, and "quote button" time.

  3. #3
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Хазард,США
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    11
    Bush is a conformist.

  4. #4
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Common ranks
    -----------------
    Новичок - 0 posts
    Подающий надежды оратор - 10
    Увлечённый спикер - 40
    Почётный участник - 70
    Почтенный гражданин - 150
    Авторитет форума - 350
    Младший оракул - 500
    Старший оракул - 750
    Властелин - 1000
    Завсегдатай - 1500

    Special ranks
    ---------------
    Administrator
    Moderator
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  5. #5
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    I suggest we all get personalized titles after we hit "Снова Новичок". I'm hating it! Mine, for one, could be "Принц Сомали"....

    If there should be a sticky made about anything, it should be:
    1) How to start learning Russian. Basically this says that if you come here babbling about us teaching you Russian, you agree to at least buy some books and listen to some radio. We can even have the part where Jas says "Get the Penguin Russian courses and Nicholas J. Brown's Learner's Dictionary."
    2) How to say "I love you."
    This will save us minutes of wasted copying, pasting, and "quote button" time.
    1) There is a section on the site about Getting started with Russian:
    http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewforum.php?f=13

    2) People will be asking it time and again even if you place stickies all over the forum )
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    OK, is the personalized title thing still a go?

  7. #7
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    OK, is the personalized title thing still a go?
    Yes. You would normally have to give administrators three 1-liter bottles of beer for a special title or you could make a substantial contribution to the forum. What do you choose?
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  8. #8
    z80
    z80 is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Австралия
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    12
    It's just a title. Who cares. If your ever in Australia you can have as much beer as you want. We have the higest consumption of beer in australia right here, and we have 27 pubs for a population of 30000 people.
    I hate Signatures

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Амстелвэйн, Нидерланды
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    11
    In Amstelveen, we've got 1 pub for exactly twice the amount of inhabitants.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

  10. #10
    mike
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    OK, is the personalized title thing still a go?
    Yes. You would normally have to give administrators three 1-liter bottles of beer for a special title or you could make a substantial contribution to the forum. What do you choose?
    Are you saying Pravit's mere presence on the forum is neither intoxicating nor a substantial contribution in itself? It is not enough to give him a special title. I think we should replace the church in the logo with his picture.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    OK, is the personalized title thing still a go?
    Yes. You would normally have to give administrators three 1-liter bottles of beer for a special title or you could make a substantial contribution to the forum. What do you choose?
    Are you saying Pravit's mere presence on the forum is neither intoxicating nor a substantial contribution in itself? It is not enough to give him a special title. I think we should replace the church in the logo with his picture.
    Mike, you have read my mind exactly! Sometimes it's best to let other people figure out what you want rather than ask for it yourself
    As for Master Admin's choice, I choose "Make a substantial contribution." Would this be in the form of alcohol or money?

  12. #12
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    As for Master Admin's choice, I choose "Make a substantial contribution." Would this be in the form of alcohol or money?
    It would be either interesting content for other users or programming code.
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  13. #13
    z80
    z80 is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Австралия
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    12
    Interesting content:- http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2003-06-03/index.html

    Code:-

    10 cls
    20 hello world
    30 goto 10


    (note, any "programing language" that has a goto statment in it, is what a trabant is to a car)
    I hate Signatures

  14. #14
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by z80
    Interesting content:- http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2003-06-03/index.html

    Code:-

    10 cls
    20 hello world
    30 goto 10


    (note, any "programing language" that has a goto statment in it, is what a trabant is to a car)
    Content and code for this site, link is not enough so it should be about the Russian language and/or (&& ||) culture which brings me to the next point that programming language should be VB, Perl or PHP
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  15. #15
    al
    al is offline
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by z80
    Interesting content:- http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2003-06-03/index.html

    Code:-

    10 cls
    20 hello world
    30 goto 10


    (note, any "programing language" that has a goto statment in it, is what a trabant is to a car)
    Programming language should have a goto statement. It is up to a programmer to decide whether should he use it. Gotos are very useful in a few cases, though they must be avoided whenever possible.
    Хорошо не просто там где нас нет, а там где нас никогда и не было.

  16. #16
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    Right, even C++ has goto statement
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  17. #17
    z80
    z80 is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Австралия
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    12
    Yes, and my car has a great button for dumping all it's fule all over the road. Dosn't mean i'm going to use it, or should use it.
    I hate Signatures

  18. #18
    mike
    Guest
    Goto is a good way to get out of a very deeply nested set of iterations or conditional loop without writing a conditional break for every single loop. If I am inside of 5 for loops I do not want to have to do an if (x) break; 5 times to proceed. In the rare case that something like this happens it is good to have. But it will occur three times in your whole life and twice it will not be mission-critical that you use it. Any other time you use goto you had better hope the file is small or you are working alone, because nobody will have the patience to figure out what is going on in your code when it jumps to 80 different places. Assembly JMP is enough of a pain in the ass to follow, don't punish people using HLLs.

    BTW I think z80 meant to say any language that is based on the Goto statement (like BASIC) is primitive and inferior, not that in itself it is not useful to have. It is the difference between using a campfire and a gas stove to cook a meal. I can use both, but it is more convenient and practical to use the gas stove. There may be some case where it is better to make a fire, but I have to make sure it is contained and does not spread to other areas.

  19. #19
    al
    al is offline
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    11
    Well, it is exactly what I am talking about.

    BTW, has anybody tried to count gotos in Linux kernel?
    Хорошо не просто там где нас нет, а там где нас никогда и не было.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    Oh! I seem to have remembered a time a couple months ago when I suggested we split the Culture and Politics into two seperate forums. Didn't you say "You want a special title or something?"

    Of course, I hope parititioning the two forums isn't considered my greatest contribution here

Similar Threads

  1. [Need to be sticky!] Remember about language exchange sites
    By astronomer in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
  2. 'To make someone' vs 'to force someone'
    By Kirill2142 in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM
  3. Can you make out this fragment. Please - 2
    By Ramil in forum Audio Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
  4. Can you make out this fragment. Please
    By Ramil in forum Audio Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
  5. want to make friends
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary