Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 New Forum Design

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin View Post
    This one works for me better than any of the previous versions of New Posts links.

Hanna
    Users always see problems with the new software and miss the familiar features of the old software. That's why there are negative comments (including one by me when I was angry about losing a post).

I think it was a very successful upgrade on the whole. Nothing was broken or lost.

As a regular user I miss some of the old features too, but the truth is: software needs to be replaced or upgraded every 5-10 years.

I don't know anything about forum software though, or blog software. But I imagine MasterAdmin had a look at the options and picked this package for a good reason.

But it's important that people point out the problems, so they can be corrected.

Can you "skin" this package? I think the site should have more of a Russian (or CIS!) feel to it" Not just the out-of-the-box look... Perhaps a header with some nice photos from Russia... ? the flags of Russia and the CIS countries or some cultural symbols of the area...? Just so that people immediately see what the site is about and see some nice images.

Hanna
    Oh, it should definitely be possible to change the header of a post.
    Currently that can't be done as far as I can tell.

Завсегдатай
    Пожалуйста, прикрепите для объяснения скриншоты, а то не совсем понятно чего вы хотите добиться.
    Dear MasterAdmin, sorry for being a pest yesterday.
    I finally had time to look into search function more closely and found what I needed. It's "all posts from your last visit sorted by date in descending order".

The option "Save Search preferences" still does not save anything, and Descending order is not really descending (weird), but I bookmarked the search link and it solved this little issue, more or less.

Thank you for your patience, and the link you provided in your post. It helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Oh, it should definitely be possible to change the header of a post.
    Currently that can't be done as far as I can tell.
    You can change the header within the 15 minutes of making the post. So make sure you haven't done any mistakes before you posted. And make sure to change your mind within 15 minutes of the post time

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    The option "Save Search preferences" still does not save anything, and Descending order is not really descending (weird), but I bookmarked the search link (http://masterrussian.net/search.php?searchid=4368) and it solved this little issue, more or less.

Thank you for your patience, and the link you provided in your post. It helped.
    "Save Search preferences" remembers your selection at the time you press "Save". Next time you don't need to select from the drop-down menus to make the same search.

Descending order is not descending?

I can try to make the buttons/links. Just have to make sure what you guys need.

This link returns all post from last day:
    Search Results - MasterRussian.NET
    Большинство людей привыкло к старому списку "active topics" в котором были все посты за последнюю неделю отсортированные в порядке убывания по дате. Ссылка Today's posts (та же самая, что в вашем посте "Search Results - MasterRussian.NET") выдает тот же самй лист последних постов, но только за последние сутки. Но эта ссылка недоступна если юзер залогинился.

Первое решение (самое простое) сделать ссылку Today's posts доступной и для тех кто залогинился.

Второе решение (посложнее) сделать ссылку (доступную и для залогинившися и для гостей), которая выдает лист описанный в посте #7. Это тот же самый лист, но только за неделю. (В дополнение в параметрах поиска можно в "Search In" отметить "All Types", а потом убрать галочку "Forums", что бы в результатах поиска не было названий подфорумов)

Descending order is not descending?
    По умолчанию список сортирется по параметру "Relevance" а не по дате, по этому и возникает путаница.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Почётный участник
    Active topics from the last 7 days:

... last 3 days:

You can change the header within the 15 minutes of making the post. So make sure you haven't done any mistakes before you posted. And make sure to change your mind within 15 minutes of the post time
    In this case could people ask a moderator to do it for them? It would not be a big deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperplane View Post
    Active topics from the last 7 days:

... last 3 days:
    It's great. I've made a bookmark with the 7 days posts. It looks exactly like the former "active topics" list. Thank you, Paperplane.

When searching (via advanced search) for blog comments (with checking the "blog comments" box only ) with sorting by date. The results are sorted by the date of the blog entry but not by the date of the comments.

Подающий надежды оратор Cadenza's Avatar
    Is it possible to make the master post sticky? Sometimes one has to go back to the very first page to find out what about the topic is.

Also, is it possible to keep the "New Forum Posts" table always visible?
    Ученье - свет, неученье - тьма

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123