Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 New Forum Design

Hanna
    I just spent 15 minutes writing a post about some comments about the Mayor of Moscow scandal.
    But when I pressed Submit, I got this error:
    PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 01320561

The back button was disabled even though it ought to have been active.

I can't remember exactly what I wrote and I don't have time to re-write it.

The old site never lost a post. Even if the browser crashed, it rememembered what you had written.

I am really irritated now, because my post was lost!
    I know the site is using an out-of-the-box package for this forum but still I just have to complain about it!

That's a strange error. It doesn't seem to be related to forum software.
    Have you tried pressing the "backspace" button to return to the previous page?

Hanna
    The back space was disabled when that happened.

Another point (sorry I am complaining... as u know, I like this forum and I want it to be as nice as possible...):

The point is; the option of deleting a post is gone. For example; I made a post which I realised was wrong, in the thread "TORFL". But I can't delete it!

Can we have "Preview" out, without doing to Advanced?

Quick Reply doesn't have a preview. That's the whole point of quick reply.
    Preview is only available in Advanced mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    The point is; the option of deleting a post is gone. For example; I made a post which I realised was wrong, in the thread "TORFL". But I can't delete it!

You can Delete your own posts. Click "Edit Post" (within 72 hours of making a post) and then you'll see the "delete" button.
    But you can't delete your own threads.

Is there any way to edit the thread subject? I made a typo in the thread name and couldn't correct it.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    Is there any way to edit the thread subject? I made a typo in the thread name and couldn't correct it.
    I know which thread
    You can edit a thread title within 15 minutes of posting the thread.
    Longer than that is not allowed because the subject goes into the page address. If you change it, the address of the thread will also change. And that's not a good idea. It will break all the links if someone is linking to the page.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin View Post
    I know which thread
    You can edit a thread title within 15 minutes of posting the thread.
    Longer than that is not allowed because the subject goes into the page address. If you change it, the address of the thread will also change. And that's not a good idea. It will break all the links if someone is linking to the page.
    Yup, I've noticed. PhpBB handles this situation a little better. Still I like vBulletin more.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Подскажите, почему при нажатии на New Posts выдается устаревший список тем? Например, отписавшись в теме, я через несколько минут нажимаю "New Posts" и не вижу этой темы не только наверху списка, но и вообще в на странице.

Ужасно неудобно теперь искать новые посты. =/
    Панель "New forum posts" на главной странице не заменяет эту функцию, т.к. в ней помещается лишнь несколько последних сообщений (и появляются они тоже с порядочной задержкой).

Старший оракул
    I hoped with time the first negative impression would by and by dissipate and I’d grow used to the big, they say, and shiny new forum’s engine and its invisible to the naked eye enhancements. It turned out two weeks is not enough time for that. I still fail to see the improvements while drawbacks refuse to ease up. So I wondered what it is really that aggravates me about the new design and figured out that not very much in fact - I just can’t see the picture anymore.
    There’s this “new posts” button, for example, that retained the same old name but gained different logic by which it works. If I remember it right, it used to display the posts that showed up during the last several hours. Once you’d browsed the posts they didn’t disappear, they stayed where they were in the folder, only somehow marked as read. Now they simply vanish and you’d have to spend some time and a lot of cursing if, God forbid, you needed the post you’d just looked through back.
    Then it’s that “What’s New” item that does absolutely the same as the “new posts” button does.
    Then those oversized icons of closed or opened envelopes beside each thread’s name, which overshadow the threads themselves and are a creation of a perverted brainiac who, defying common sense, assigned the meaning of a read post to a closed envelope. Has it never occurred to him that you have to first open the envelope to get to the letter that’s hidden inside?
    The PM’s folder is a mess too. When correspondence had been going on for some time and quite a number of PMs had accumulated under the same topic you’d only have to scroll the topic down or up to track the lost thread of conversation back. What diamond strong patience must you have to do that now?
    Fair questions, both.
    And who's gonna be able to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    Подскажите, почему при нажатии на New Posts выдается устаревший список тем? Например, отписавшись в теме, я через несколько минут нажимаю "New Posts" и не вижу этой темы не только наверху списка, но и вообще в на странице.

Ужасно неудобно теперь искать новые посты. =/
    Панель "New forum posts" на главной странице не заменяет эту функцию, т.к. в ней помещается лишнь несколько последних сообщений (и появляются они тоже с порядочной задержкой).
    В вашем случае, вы отписались в теме, поэтому все последние сообщения в данной теме уже прочитаны. Прочитанные темы не показываются в списке "What's new?".

При нажатии на "New Posts" или "What's New?" выдается список всех сообщений, которые не были прочитаны.
    Для того, чтобы убрать сообщение из этого списка, необходимо просмотреть ветку, содержащую сообщение (marked as read when the last new thread is read). Иначе можно пометить все сообщения как прочитанные, нажав "Mark Forums Read" на заглавной странице.
    Еще можно отметить все сообщения внутри форума прочитанными, щелкнув два раза на иконку форума с заглавной страницы (цвет иконки изменится).

Завсегдатай
    Прочитанные темы не показываются в списке "What's new?".
    Спасибо за ответ! Не подумала об этом.

Получается, что при существующем автоматическом "исчезновении" прочитанных сообщений я получаю лишь список непрочитанных тем, то есть тем, которые в большинстве своем мне неинтересны.

А можно ли сделать так, как было раньше:
    Quote Originally Posted by alexB View Post
    ... Once you’d browsed the posts they didn’t disappear, they stayed where they were in the folder, only somehow marked as read. Now they simply vanish and you’d have to spend some time and a lot of cursing if, God forbid, you needed the post you’d just looked through back.
    Можно ли просмотреть все недавние посты в порядке их появления (проследить активность на форуме)? Как пометить сообщения 'as read' понятно, а вот как от этого отказаться..

Может это, конечно, на виду, тогда извиняюсь. Просто еще не разобралась в нововведениях.

I still fail to see the improvements while drawbacks refuse to ease up. So I wondered what it is really that aggravates me about the new design and figured out that not very much in fact - I just can’t see the picture anymore.
    The biggest improvement you can see is this forum! The old forum kept crashing and losing posts. The database size got out of control - 2GB. Everything is OK with this forum.

There’s this “new posts” button, for example, that retained the same old name but gained different logic by which it works. If I remember it right, it used to display the posts that showed up during the last several hours. Once you’d browsed the posts they didn’t disappear, they stayed where they were in the folder, only somehow marked as read. Now they simply vanish and you’d have to spend some time and a lot of cursing if, God forbid, you needed the post you’d just looked through back.
    Then it’s that “What’s New” item that does absolutely the same as the “new posts” button does.

Then those oversized icons of closed or opened envelopes beside each thread’s name, which overshadow the threads themselves and are a creation of a perverted brainiac who, defying common sense, assigned the meaning of a read post to a closed envelope. Has it never occurred to him that you have to first open the envelope to get to the letter that’s hidden inside?
    I've searched but haven't found good buttons yet. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Here's the site with button collections vBulletin Status Icon Sets - vBulletin.org Forum

The PM’s folder is a mess too. When correspondence had been going on for some time and quite a number of PMs had accumulated under the same topic you’d only have to scroll the topic down or up to track the lost thread of conversation back. What diamond strong patience must you have to do that now?
    The PMs are sorted by date. That's similar to what we had before.

Спасибо за ответ! Не подумала об этом.

Получается, что при существующем автоматическом "исчезновении" прочитанных сообщений я получаю лишь список непрочитанных тем, то есть тем, которые в большинстве своем мне неинтересны.
    Зато вы видите все новые темы. Неинтересные пропускайте.

А можно ли сделать так, как было раньше:
    Можно ли просмотреть все недавние посты в порядке их появления (проследить активность на форуме)? Как пометить сообщения 'as read' понятно, а вот как от этого отказаться..

Может это, конечно, на виду, тогда извиняюсь. Просто еще не разобралась в нововведениях.
    Можно через параметры поиска. Где-то уже был ответ на этот вопрос.

Завсегдатай
    Зато вы видите все новые темы. Неинтересные пропускайте.
    Да нет, не все. Вы же сами сказали, что "прочитанные темы не показываются в списке "What's new"".
    Я хочу видеть все темы, прочитанные и нет, в которых была какая-то активность (новые посты) за последнее время.
    Можно через параметры поиска. Где-то уже был ответ на этот вопрос.
    А новые параметры поиска не сохраняются. Точнее они якобы сохраняются, но при следующем поиске все возвращается к дефолтным значениям.

Спасибо быстрые ответы! Буду разбираться.

Link "What's new?" provides different results if a user is logged in and if not.

If a users is NOT logged in the link "What's New?" provides the list of all topics which where active during the last 24 hours.
    This list contains both the threads which were read and the thread which were not read.
    In order to get this list when I am logged in I made a bookmark in my browser with the link
    "http://masterrussian.net/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post"
    (Most browsers can do it automatically, just drag the button "What's new?" to the bookmarks panel when you are not logged in)
    DO NOT bookmark the resulting page. Its link is automatically generated every time you click the button "What's New?"

To get the list with the threads which where active during the last week one have to make a few clicks (see post #7 of this thread on the page 1)
    I wish there were a way to get the button with a quick access to such a list.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Да нет, не все. Вы же сами сказали, что "прочитанные темы не показываются в списке "What's new"".
    Я хочу видеть все темы, прочитанные и нет, в которых была какая-то активность (новые посты) за последнее время.

А новые параметры поиска не сохраняются. Точнее они якобы сохраняются, но при следующем поиске все возвращается к дефолтным значениям.

Спасибо быстрые ответы! Буду разбираться.
    Прочитанные темы не являются новыми. Поэтому и не показываются.
    Если в теме была какая-то активность (т.е. добавилось сообщение), то она будет непрочитанной и, соответственно, покажется как новая.
    Пожалуйста, прикрепите для объяснения скриншоты, а то не совсем понятно чего вы хотите добиться.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Link "What's new?" provides different results if a user is logged in and if not.

If a users is NOT logged in the link "What's New?" provides the list of all topics which where active during the last 24 hours.
    This list contains both the threads which were read and the thread which were not read.
    In order to get this list when I am logged in I made a bookmark in my browser with the link
    "http://masterrussian.net/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post"
    (Most browsers can do it automatically, just drag the button "What's new?" to the bookmarks panel when you are not logged in)
    DO NOT bookmark the resulting page. Its link is automatically generated every time you click the button "What's New?"

To get the list with the threads which where active during the last week one have to make a few clicks (see post #7 of this thread on the page 1)
    I wish there were a way to get the button with a quick access to such a list.
    I can try to make the buttons/links. Just have to make sure what you guys need.

This link returns all post from last day:
    Search Results - MasterRussian.NET

Старший оракул
    This link returns all post from last day:
    Search Results - MasterRussian.NET
    As long as you say the “What’s New” and “new posts” are supposed to dub each other, excluding the cases mentioned by CoffeeCup (his ingenuity at finding ways to dodge the shortcomings of the new forum’s design is amazing), could you make the “What’s New” button do what your link above does?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast