Thread: Перевод 1.)

Почётный участник

Перевод 1.)

Хорошо. Надеюсь, что этот урок вам не злится. Мне еще неопытность русским языком. (Так и есть, если говорить о себе, то не больше чем три раза я написал с творительным падежом! Не больше чем три раза!) Мне надо заниматься - очень!

Вот перевод, исправляйте пожалуйста, если вам не слишком трудно.

In early 1992, President Bush pursued a novel policy to deal with the
    В раннем 1992 году, президент Буш преследовал необычную

lingering recession in the United States. By executive order, he lowered
    линию поведению подраться с непрерывным удалением у США. По

the amount of income taxes that were being withheld from workers'
    "executive order", он понизил сумму налога отнявшись работников

paychecks. The order did not reduce the amount of taxes the workers
    доходов. Порядок не понизил сумму нaлога с работников, а лишь

owed; it merely delayed payment. The higher take-home pay that
    задержал уплату. Высокий доход получил работником через

workers received during 1992 was to be offset by higher tax payments,
    1992г должен был возместилься по выше уплати анлога, или меньше

or smaller tax refunds, when income taxes were due in April 1993.
    возвращать налога, при налогах в Апреле 1993г.

Все. Исправляйте, пожалуйста.
    I do not understand very well the best way of understanding ..

Завсегдатай

Re: Перевод 1.)

That's quite a difficult translation you've undertaken there! If I tried to do it, I'd screw up just as much(if not more). But I do congratulate you for it. Others would hide, afraid that their Russian skills would be ridiculed... I'm afraid I won't be able to correct everything right, but I can certainly point out what is wrong. Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm doing this mainly to help myself - as BM once said, there's no harm in correcting others, and someone else will correct me if I'm wrong(we hope).

Let me have a little word - translating stuff isn't exactly the best way to go about practicing a language at first. Back in the day languages were taught by having people translate a bunch of crap, but somewhere along the line they figured that didn't work that well To make a long story short, in beginning stages focus more on listening and speaking(if possible), and reading things just to get the gist of how the language works. If you want to write, write your own small compositions or stories. The trouble with translating stuff like this is that too often they're filled with idiomatic expressions which you'll either translate wrong or not know how to translate correctly. That and their structure and vocabulary is generally rather complex. Now, let's have at it.

Надеюсь, что этот урок вам не злится.
    Errmmm....sounds kind of weird to me. Change it around? Maybe "I hope this doesn't annoy you" or "I hope this doesn't bother you"?
    Надеюсь, что это вас не раздражит.
    Надеюсь, что это вас не обеспокоит.

Мне еще неопытность русским языком.
    OUCH! Please, please, change this. It doesn't even make sense in English. Maybe Я пока не владею русским языком очень свободно?

(Так и есть, если говорить о себе, то не больше чем три раза я написал с творительным падежом! Не больше чем три раза!)
    Errmm..something's wrong here, but I can't tell what. I think it's something with Больше чем and some other stuff.

Мне надо заниматься - очень!
    Gramatically I think this is correct, but your word order with "ochen" at the end kind of threw me off. My "wrong" radar kind of ticked off here. Perhaps someone can refine as to why it did.

Вот перевод, исправляйте пожалуйста, если вам не слишком трудно.
    Reminds me of me.

В раннем 1992 году, президент Буш преследовал необычную линию поведению подраться с непрерывным удалением у США.
    Err........I'm not liking "В раннем 1992 году." But maybe I'm wrong here, I'm not too sure. I don't think преследовать works here, it's a little too word-for-word. I don't know if линия поведения is correct, but remember, the second part has to stay in genitive. Perhaps "спад" or even "экономический спад" would be a better choice for "recession." В США and not У США.

По "executive order", он понизил сумму налога отнявшись работников доходов.
    Ummm...gah, I don't know what an executive order is either, but I'd guess at something like "президентский приказ." "Reduce" is one of those nasty words that has several different translations, so all I can tell you is that's the wrong verb(and sadly enough, I don't know the right one to use). I would definitely change the amount of taxes into a "which" clause instead of doing something with the verb(use our very helpful friend который). Your word order for "worker's paychecks" is wrong. If you're gonna do the "put both in genitive" move, then you gotta remember that it changes everyhting to "of this, of that" - so it's like "doxodov rabotnikov."

Порядок не понизил сумму анлога с работников, а лишь задержал уплату.
    Порядок means "order" as in "if I set the red ball in front of the blue ball in front of the yellow ball, what order are they in?" A command is a приказ. When you look up words in the dictionary and they give you two translations without specifying which means what, try to look for translations of synonyms to narrow down the possibilities.

That being said, your translation of "the taxes the workers owed" is wrong. I would perhaps go for a passive voice thing, but you do try to avoid that as much as possible. "Uplata" is probably right, but maybe you have to go for a "to, shto" construction...

Высокий доход получил работником через 1992г должен был возместилься по выше уплати анлога, или меньше возвращать налога, при налогах в Апреле 1993г.
    Vysokii is not right here if you mean "higher", and I don't think the superlative form would help here either. You have to use that one form of the verb "to increase(a wage)." I forget what the form is called, though, but we have it in English. Past participle or something? Anyhow. I think a который thrown in here to work would help you - it looks like you were going for a passive voice thing but messed up. I think it's perfectly fine to say "в 1992г." and not cherez, that means something like "in 1,992 years."

I have no f*ing clue how you say "was to be offset" and the rest of that sentence, but all I can say is: that's all wrong. Don't you just love me? But here's what I can explain. возместилься is wrong. You don't throw a soft sign in there. At any rate, I would go for a passive voice thing, even though Propp would yell at me. "Refund" is a noun here and cannot be expressed by the verb "vozvraschat." The rest is more or less right.

I'm probably wrong, but lemme take a disco at trying to translate that ending boringass complicated sentence:

Увеличенные доходы полуенными работниками(or maybe "которые работники получили) в 1992г. должны были быть возместенными выше налогами или меньше возмещениями налогов при отправке налогов в апреле 1993г.

Ouch. If you're gonna translate something, you could at least pick something less boring. But good job. Someone else come and refine what I said or slap me for being wrong.

Почётный участник
    Между прочим, мне бы хотелось благодарить кого-нибудь испытает читать мой перевод! Я боюсь, что сам я не могу расшифровывать слова!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by carperdiem
    Между прочим, мне бы хотелось благодарить кого-нибудь испытает читать мой перевод! Я боюсь, что сам я не могу расшифровывать слова!
    Ummm...I'm guessing you meant "By the way, I would like to thank someone who tries to read my translation! I'm afraid that I can't...er...did you mean 'figure out'....the words myself!"

Anyhow, I had a gander at it. Rejoice.

And what you said was wrong. The "thank someone" thing just sounded wrong even in English. How about:

Я буду очень благодарен тому, который(or even тем, кто) постарается исправить мой переводю. Я боюсь, что я сам не могу исправить его.

Почётный участник
    Hmm, need to practice just writing simple stuff before difficult translation... thanks for the corrections. This was noooot tooooo easyyy...... there is that damn hubris creeping up to bight me in the ass again. ... back to story writing.

Почётный участник
    Ok I'll correct your introduction for now, and then try to correct the main text...

Хорошо. Надеюсь, что этот урок вам не злится(???don't know what you meant by this). Я еще не опытный в русском языке (у меня не достаточно опыта в русском языке). (Так и есть, если говорить о себе, то не больше чем три раза я писал в творительнoм падежe! Не больше трёх раз!) Мне очень надо заниматься!

Я остальное попытаюсь исправить потом. Вы выбрали очень сложный текст для перевода…Даже у меня с ним возникают проблемы…lol And I’m russian and fluent in English, so maybe you should pick something easier to translate
    *~Tatiana~*
    (Таня )

Почётный участник
    Tatiana is such a pretty name.

Почётный участник
    hehe thanx
    *~Tatiana~*
    (Таня )

Завсегдатай
    Carpediem, if you don't mind a tip, try learning to find appropriate Russian equivalents for English words.

Here is what I mean: in all languages, many words have more than one definitions. Take the word "order" for example. One of definitions is "a spoken or written command to do something, a direcion". The other one is "a state of affairs where everything is as it is supposed to be". Of course, this word has even more definitions, but these two will suffice for the purpose of my example.

As you can see, these 2 definitions are completely different in meaning. And you can't expect Russians to use the same word for both of these definitions. Actually, it is easy to guess that in most other languages people would use two different words for these 2 meanings.

So if you look up "order" in your English-Russian dictionary, you'll be given a number of Russian translations. The trick is to choose the correct one, and this seems to be your single greatest trouble.

In your translation, this word is used in the first definition. Russian word "порядок" corresponds to the second one (orderly arrangement or state of affairs).

Try to find a better dictionary, and do not rely on English-Russian dictionary as your only source. Get a Russian-Russian dictionary that explains meanings of Russian words in Russian (like Webster or Oxford English Dictionary do in English). Or at least get a GOOD, comprehensive Russian-English dictionary that explains meaning of Russian words rather then just listing possible translations.

After you find a Russian word in your English-Russian dictionary, cross-check it by using your Russian-English or Russian-Russian dictionary to see if this word actually means in Russian what you wanted to say.

Завсегдатай
    Hey, I said that.

Почётный участник
    Yeah, all I have is Langenscheidt. Just lists the words, so I pick one and hope for the best... BUT! You have given me valuable advice that I will take heed of! I will go get a proper slovar!

СПАСИБО!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye the way, coud you understand anything? Did I did anything right? Just curious... I would like to make corrections accordingly. Perhaps I should erase it and start over?

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by carperdiem
    Yeah, all I have is Langenscheidt. Just lists the words, so I pick one and hope for the best... BUT! You have given me valuable advice that I will take heed of! I will go get a proper slovar!

СПАСИБО!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye the way, coud you understand anything? Did I did anything right? Just curious... I would like to make corrections accordingly. Perhaps I should erase it and start over?
    "...не понизил сумму анлога с работников, а лишь задержал уплату".

This is very good Russian, except for the typo in "налога".

But I am not the one to point out typos (just spotted a few in my own post above )

Завсегдатай
    I am sure I made errors in my "corrections", and at any rate I only told him what was wrong and didn't tell him what was correct. Can anyone else point out something?