Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How to pronounce double "и" & what is this symbol?

Увлечённый спикер genuinefarmgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    What is funny here? Or why am I funny?
    Marcus, I am quite aware of the greeting Russian believers use on Easter (Christ is risen, and the response of: He is risen indeed.) Hence, I took your statement as a play on words; if it were to be taken otherwise, it would simply not make sense. If I misinterpreted you, I apologize, but I do hope you did not say that in scorn or mockery.

OK, on the same subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post
    Double "и" is pronounced just as two "и" vowels: ee-ee.
    Whenever you see a combination of vowel letters in Russian, just pronounce each sound as it is. Russian is not like English. In English a combination of vowels is not the same as two separate vowels, e.g. "au" is not just "ay"+"you" but a completely new vowel, right? But Russian is much simpler in this regard. Just read each vowel as its own sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by pushvv View Post
    It's very often when you need to pronounce 2 or three similar sounds in a row. For example змееед or длинношеее.
    You just need to say it 3 times separately.
    I am aware of the doubled 'e' needing to be pronounced twice, but what about a doubled 'н'? I see this a lot; is this a consonant and therefore does not require to be pronounced twice? Is it only vowels that need to be pronounced twice (if twice in a row)?

Quote Originally Posted by genuinefarmgirl View Post
    I am aware of the doubled 'e' needing to be pronounced twice, but what about a doubled 'н'? I see this a lot; is this a consonant and therefore does not require to be pronounced twice? Is it only vowels that need to be pronounced twice (if twice in a row)?
    Double consonants are pronounced as a single consonant if they're a part of the same word. However, there are so called long consonants that happen if a one sound preposition is connected to a word starting with the same sound (or the preposition sound cognate, e.g с/з в/ф are cognates) as the preposition itself.

For example
    с собой vs собой - these two are not pronounced the same
    собой is pronounced with an ordinary с sound but
    c собой is pronounced with a slightly prolonged, sustained "с"

в воде vs воде - the same thing

Cognates merging into one long voiced or unvoiced sound examples

в форме vs форме - в форме is pronounced with long unvoiced "ф" sound /ф:орме/ (The ":" sign represents a long sound in IPA if you don't know)
    с замка vs замка - c замка is pronounced with long voiced "з" sound /з:амка/

Note that the long consonant is not pronounced as long as compared to just an ordinary consonant, just sligtly, almost vaguely longer, but still this is enough for native speakers to always get the difference.

I hope this helps
    genuinefarmgirl likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Властелин
    Double н as wel as other consonants are usually pronounced as long consonants after a stressed vowel. ванна, касса, данный and so on. They are also pronounced on the border of a prefix and a root. ввод, поддержать, but not рассказ. You do not need to pronounce double н in words like сделанный, убранный and so on.

Старший оракул
    Marcus, I am quite aware of the greeting Russian believers use on Easter (Christ is risen, and the response of: He is risen indeed.) Hence, I took your statement as a play on words; if it were to be taken otherwise, it would simply not make sense. If I misinterpreted you, I apologize, but I do hope you did not say that in scorn or mockery.
    As I understand, it was not a play on words. Marcus corrected iCake.
    iCake gave an example "Иисус воскресе" to illustrate the pronunciation of "Иисус". But we do not say like that. It is a fixed Easter greeting, a set phrase: "Христос воскресе" (or just "Христос воскрес" - in modern Russian, the ending "-е" is archaic here). Then iCake admitted it was his mistake.

A good question! Generally speaking, it depends.

And yes, I agree with everyone else on that.

Double consonants are never pronounced as two separate sounds in a row. There are 2 possibilities:

1) In most of cases, doubling a consonant letter makes no effect on its pronunciation. Double consonants often occur in loan words: теннис (sounds like [тЭнис]), пассажир "passenger" (sounds like [пасажЫр]), ассоциация (sounds like [асацыАцыя]), антенна (sounds like [антЭна]), баррикада (sounds like [барикАда]) etc.

Double Н is also frequent in native Russian suffixes of adjectives and adverbs. In many case it is also pronounced just as a single Н: сделанный "made, done" [здЕланый], искренне "sincerely" [Искрини] etc.

2) In some cases, a double consonant makes somewhat a single prolonged sounds (slightly longer than an ordinary consonant), but the difference is noticeable for native speakers. It is hard to formulate a common rule for that.
    But please notice: it is always a prolonged sound when a word begins with a double consonant.

More examples (in addition to what iCake provided):
    ведение (conducting, directing) but введение (introduction) - they sound differently;
    вод (genitive plural of "вода" - water, i.e. something like "of waters") but ввод (bringing in) - they sound differently;
    сор (rubbish, litter) but ссор (genitive plural of "ссора" - quarrel, i.e. something like "of quarrels") - they sound differently.

So, to practice initial double consonants: введение, вводить, ввод, ссора, ссориться, ссуда.
    Typically, this happens due to a prefix added to the root: в+ведение, в+водить, в+вод ("в" adds the meaning of "in, into"); с+суда (loan, grant) ("с" adds the meaning of "off") etc. The words ссора (a squarrel) and ссориться (to squarrel) are interesting examples which do not have a prefix, it is rather the root itself which starts with the double С.

In some other cases double consonants also can sound distinctly (as a prolonged sound). Marcus provided some examples for them. In addition: мАсса, длИнный, стрАнный, кОнный, окОнный. тОнна etc. (I capitalized the stressed vowels). So, I agree it might depend on the stress position as well: when immediately after a stressed vowel, the lengthening is noticeable. But there are also some cases when it cannot be explained this way: поддавкИ, оттопЫрить etc. (prefix + root + suffix: под+дав+ки, от-топыр-ить).

General advice for a beginner: when in doubt, it's better to pronounce a double consonant prolonged. Sometimes it may sound as a hypercorrect pronunciation, but it is much better then ignoring consonant lengthening where it must be lengthened.
    Throbert McGee likes this.

As I understand, it was not a play on words. Marcus corrected iCake.
    iCake gave an example "Иисус воскресе" to illustrate the pronunciation of "Иисус". But we do not say like that. It is a fixed Easter greeting, a set phrase: "Христос воскресе" (or just "Христос воскрес" - in modern Russian, the ending "-е" is archaic here). Then iCake admitted it was his mistake.
    I really appreciate you pointing this out, Bob. I went back and re-read; I think you are right. Somehow, I missed that.
    My apologies, Marcus!

Double н as well as other consonants are usually pronounced as long consonants after a stressed vowel.
    Marcus, I'd like to clarify that when you say 'stressed' that is referring to where the accent goes?

Thanks, iCake; yes, it was helpful!

General advice for a beginner: when in doubt, it's better to pronounce a double consonant prolonged. Sometimes it may sound as a hypercorrect pronunciation, but it is much better then ignoring consonant lengthening where it must be lengthened.
    Thanks for the advice on this, too.

Властелин
    Marcus, I'd like to clarify that when you say 'stressed' that is referring to where the accent goes?
    Yes, you are right.

Старший оракул
    Exactly. Actually, "accented vowel", "accented syllable", "stressed vowel" and "stressed syllable" all mean the same in regard to Russian.

As you probably know, every Russian word has a stress. If it is a monosyllabic word (like дом, сад, друг etc.) then its sole syllable is stressed, it is just obvious and there is no need to indicate the stress position (actually, they are pronounced as до́м, са́д, дру́г etc.), I hope you can see the diactritic.

If it is a polysyllabic word (with more than one syllable), than the following is true:
    1) one of the syllables is stressed;
    2) all other syllables are unstressed.
    But there is generally no way to predict the stress position, so they usually put a stress mark in dictionaries, in books for children and in textbooks for foreign students:
    ла́мпа (1st of 2), вода́ (2nd of 2);
    о́блако (1st of 3), доро́га (2nd of 3), голова́ (3rd of 3);
    пе́редано (1st of 4), изо́гнутый (2nd of 4), переса́дка (3rd of 4), сковорода́ (4th of 4) etc.

However, the stress mark is not a part of the Russian writing, we do not use it in texts, since native speakers put the correct stress automatically when reading: лампа, вода, облако, дорога, голова, передано, изогнутый, пересадка, сковорода.

There are some exceptions to that principle:
    1) some auxiliary words do not have their own stress at all, being pronounced with the main word to which they are attached as a single whole. They are mainly prepositions (по, для, из etc.), conjunctions (и, а etc.) and some particles (не, ни, бы, же etc.).
    2) some compound words can have two stresses or more, but they are quite rare: доро̀жнострои́тельный "road-buliding" (the first stress on "О" is an "additional stress" and the second stress on "И" is the main stress). I do not think you need to bother with those cases at this moment.

So, in this regard "stress" and "accent" mean the same. But Russians prefer calling it "stress" just because "accent" is ambiguous (it has many other meanings: foreign accent, local accent etc.). So, we usually call it "stress" in English (in Russian it is "ударе́ние").

We also sometimes say "stressed syllable", and sometimes say "stressed vowel". Basically, it means the same. The nubmer of syllables in a Russian word is equal to the number of vowels in it, because one vowel always forms one syllable.
    Doomer likes this.

Expanding a little on the same topic:

What's the proper pronunciation of three "и"'s in a row i.e.:

"...благодати и истины."

Властелин
    Native speakers won't be able to answer your question correctly. Listen to recordings.
    iCake likes this.

Expanding a little on the same topic:

What's the proper pronunciation of three "и"'s in a row i.e.:

"...благодати и истины."
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    Native speakers won't be able to answer your question correctly. Listen to recordings.
    Yes, I agree with Marcus. With this aproach you can ask about anything you run into. For example I can easily come up with 4 or even five "и's" in a row

Облигации и издержки
    О богослужении и Иисусе.

And there will be no trouble for me to pronounce any of those two...
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

OK...so I'll just have to chase down one of my Russian-speaking friends and get them to pronounce it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Yes, I agree with Marcus. With this approach you can ask about anything you run into. For example I can easily come up with 4 or even five "и's" in a row

Облигации и издержки
    О богослужении и Иисусе.
    Thanks; I guess I'm rather ignorant in this area yet but I'm learning.

And there will be no trouble for me to pronounce any of those two...
    I don't doubt it!
    "There's no sense in making mistakes if you don't learn from them!"

Мои две копейки для Genuinefarmgirl: SOME speakers of US English pronounce the word "skiing" with a rather strong "y" sound in the middle (skee-ying). You should AVOID this with the double ии in Russian words. At the same time, however, don't put a full glottal stop between them, the way that Cockneys say "mitten". So if you can imagine something BETWEEN:

"I'm agree-ying to go skee-ying!"

and

"Cor blimey, the ki'inz done lost their mi'inz, they 'as!"

then you're on the right track for pronouncing богослужении и Иисусе correctly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12