Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: US Presidential Election - Peanut Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Ah, I thought the votes were still being counted for that measure -- I'd only heard confirmations for MD and ME.
    Well, the final count for WA isn't over - however at this point the projections show that it won't be defeated. Everyone is reporting it as a win for gay rights.

Daily Kos: Marriage Equality called for Washington State
    "With 60 percent of the vote counted, R74 already has the support of 65% of King County and is performing well in key Eastern Washington counties. Simply put, it’s now impossible for opponents to overcome the 52-48% spread for R74."

Wow, I hadn't even heard about that one. Apparently Colorado did, too. But I would expect major resistance from the Federal gov't, which has historically been hostile even to "medically prescribed marijuana" laws passed by states. And the governor of Colorado reportedly commented, "Don't open the potato chips yet..."
    Absolutely we can expect opposition. However, with Obama in his second term and without re-election worries, we may find him more supportive of legalization than in times past.

The other thing to consider is how alcohol prohibition was finally defeated. I believe there were 26 states with various alcohol laws of their own passed before the federal government finally relented and prohibition ended.

At this point, there are 18 or 19 states with cannabis legalized either medically or fully or decriminalized. Cannabis has already been available to medical users in Washington State, although there has been extensive push-back from the feds, with dispensaries being shut down left and right. Collective farming is technically allowed under the provisions of the medical laws, and has been going on legally for some time now in King and Spokane counties (there was one remaining collective in Spokane until a month ago, when he closed down voluntarily because he has purchased a license to sell under the new law, which will treat cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol).

Sure, we can expect more federal push-back, but the latest university studies contradict outdated federal studies and reveal that cannabis is not harmful and is in fact beneficial and can aid in the cure of multiple illnesses. If the people continue to push for their rights in the individual states, eventually the federal government will have to relent as it did in the case of alcohol prohibition almost a century ago.

The cannabis legalization initiative passed even in conservative Spokane county, where I live, so I am encouraged that legalization has bipartisan support!
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    Well, the final count for WA isn't over - however at this point the projections show that it won't be defeated. Everyone is reporting it as a win for gay rights.

Daily Kos: Marriage Equality called for Washington State
    "With 60 percent of the vote counted, R74 already has the support of 65% of King County and is performing well in key Eastern Washington counties. Simply put, it’s now impossible for opponents to overcome the 52-48% spread for R74."

Absolutely we can expect opposition. However, with Obama in his second term and without re-election worries, we may find him more supportive of legalization than in times past.

The other thing to consider is how alcohol prohibition was finally defeated. I believe there were 26 states with various alcohol laws of their own passed before the federal government finally relented and prohibition ended.

At this point, there are 18 or 19 states with cannabis legalized either medically or fully or decriminalized. Cannabis has already been available to medical users in Washington State, although there has been extensive push-back from the feds, with dispensaries being shut down left and right. Collective farming is technically allowed under the provisions of the medical laws, and has been going on legally for some time now in King and Spokane counties (there was one remaining collective in Spokane until a month ago, when he closed down voluntarily because he has purchased a license to sell under the new law, which will treat cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol).
    I'm not one to use cannabis, but I think they ought to stop wasting time and resources trying to enforce laws against it's use. I think it's on the level with alcohol and should just be treated that way federally.

Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    I'm not one to use cannabis, but I think they ought to stop wasting time and resources trying to enforce laws against it's use. I think it's on the level with alcohol and should just be treated that way federally.
    I couldn't agree more! I have used cannabis for muscle spasms, as a last resort when allergies to pharmaceutical meds (and prohibitive prices since I am currently uninsured!) drove me mad. I was amazed! I had never smoked weed growing up, never tried it. It was amazing how well it dealt with the pain. And as far as "recreational" use goes, it isn't a "downer" like alcohol is, it doesn't make you depressed or angry or violent. You may eat a few too many Cheetos, but so what?

You may want to purchase stock in snack foods, by the way!

Even aside from the medicinal values of cannabis, the economic benefits of legalization are enormous and I think people are coming to the realization of this! The taxes are just one aspect of that. If we can also legalize hemp - which can't be used to get high, by the way - we would have a sustainable crop with countless applications ranging from paper products and fibers to construction, even lubricants and biodiesel fuel.

I feel honored to think that I might witness the end of prohibition with my own eyes, in my own lifetime!
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

$6B U.S. election shows why we should starve the campaign-spending beast | Full Comment | National Post

I don't care for this paper/source but the article is quite decent.

Too bad, one can't discuss (political) issues on here, though. You'd think that with a forum with people learning a foreign language, the people would be smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Russian View Post
    Too bad, one can't discuss (political) issues on here, though. You'd think that with a forum with people learning a foreign language, the people would be smarter.
    And they are. I am sorry that you chose not see it. It's o.k. One day you'll grow up.
    Deborski and Lada Snow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    And they are.
    How so? Because of the thoughtful responses to the videos posted? Because of the logical rebuttals to the assertion of a 6 billion dollar election cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    It's o.k. One day you'll grow up.
    I guess you use this statement, often, huh?

Why do you even come here, 14? This is a language forum. We study Russian! If you want to argue about politics or conspiracy theories there are plenty of forums where you can do that! I mean really, your argumentative nature is not helping your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    Why do you even come here, 14? This is a language forum. We study Russian! If you want to argue about politics or conspiracy theories there are plenty of forums where you can do that! I mean really, your argumentative nature is not helping your cause.
    Прошу прощения. Please don't burn me at the stake. I thought I was in the politics forum.... Oooops...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123