Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two American Democracies

Re: Two American Democracies

Dear Passionate Forum Members,

My posting is not to put a dog into this fight or to debate you… it is simply to offer to you a perspective by someone who lives 30 minutes from where the Harrison tragedy took place. (Please forgive me Ramil… I know you don’t give “a damn about what America thinks about anything”)

When the news broke about the Harrison story, it was all over every television station and radio talk show in this area. Two things were discussed the most and I will include some of the responses:

1. How does a parent, any parent… forget their child is in the car with them? It seems that this happens when the parents schedules are altered from their normal routines and the child in the back seat and by law is facing the rear and therefore cannot be seen by the driver. When “we” are trying to be superhuman and work 12+ hour days, go to our children’s school and sporting events, make time with our spouses and in this area, our commute is over an hour each way… we become more and more distracted and never really put even 90% at best into anything any longer.

2. Should ANY parent who does this face jail time? Is the punishment of having to live the rest of your life knowing that you have killed your own child enough? If jail time is supposed to help protect society, rehabilitate and also punish someone for their crime, is there a purpose served by sending a parent to jail in this circumstance? Could a better alternative to a jail term be found? Some sort of community service? Or, should we not be sympathetic because of the nature of this case and only consider that another human has been killed and take all compassion out of the equation?

There were some people who did bring up the fact that the boy had been adopted and those people were quickly silenced. Here, it was not seen as a case of a child adoption gone wrong. It was actually seen as even more of a tragedy because the couple had waited so very long to have a child. The father even spent time in a psychiatric hospital after the death of his son.

There is a Washington Post Editorial about the verdict; by Staff Writer Marc Fisher and a poll on their Web Site…
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/raw...illed_son.html
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by scotcher

My point is how selective in some way American democracy is becoming these days.
    Please look up "democracy" in a dictionary, because you clearly don't understand what it means.
    On one hand if an American becomes annoyed with their foreign kids adopted, they can get rid of their kids by just leaving them in a car to die, don't you agree?
    No, I don't agree. I think this comment is droolingly stupid. You're talking about one particular case that you know very little about beyond what you read on an ultra-nationalist "news" site and then extrapolating it to reach your absurd conclusion.
    It's not only my absurd conclusion. Vlasimir Soloview isn't communist, isn't ultra-nationalist and isn't stupid. He lectured in economics at the University of Alabama, 1992-1994. He's a Jew (or semi-jew). However, that's what I found in his blog (the first paragraph is about western diplomatic workers or something that killed Russians. The second paragraph is what I'm talking about:

Видел сегодня министра иностранных дел РФ Сергея Лаврова. Говорил с ним о трагическом эпизоде, когда гражданин на «Порше» убил двух студентов. Как вы знаете, в частности, после нашего эфира, (хотя, конечно, не только из-за этого), вызывали посла Германии для дачи объяснений в МИД. Он обещал всячески помочь расследованию. Хотя, есть ощущение, что, к сожалению, никуда ничего не двинется. Получается удивительная ситуация. Такой подход к жизни россиян, который проповедуют как немецкий сотрудник школы, убивший двух студентов, так и американский вице-консул, тяжело травмировавший человека и избежавший наказания. То есть, они все плодят "калоевых". И это, конечно, безобразие.

Ну, и еще один момент, от которого я просто пришел в ужас. Оказывается, человеку, который бросал башмаки в Буша, грозит 7,5 лет тюрьмы. Ну, действительно, - настоящая демократия. Парню, который убил ребенка, забыв его в машине, не грозит уже ничего! Американцы даже не собираются опротестовывать решение судьи. А человеку, который бросил башмаки в Буша - 7,5 лет. Это что? Цена башмаков, цена жизни и защита гражданских свобод? Что-то я плохо понимаю в системе правосудия и в демократических ценностях. Ну и, конечно, создан прецедент: дескать, если вам надоели ваши дети – оставьте их в машине на жаре. Они умрут, а вас не посадят. Куда катится Америка?

He sais he can't understand very well in the justice system and democratic values. You might probably want to suggest him to look that up in a dictionary too.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Оказывается, человеку, который бросал башмаки в Буша, грозит 7,5 лет тюрьмы.
    Майлзу Харрисону ГРОЗИЛО 10 лет тюрьмы.

Американцы даже не собираются опротестовывать решение судьи.
    Насколько я понимаю, у них нет для этого законных оснований. Американская судебная система так устроена. Там два раза за одно и то же преступление не судят.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by mishau_

My point is how selective in some way American democracy is becoming these days.
    Please look up "democracy" in a dictionary, because you clearly don't understand what it means.
    [quote:2831c3he]
    On one hand if an American becomes annoyed with their foreign kids adopted, they can get rid of their kids by just leaving them in a car to die, don't you agree?
    No, I don't agree. I think this comment is droolingly stupid. You're talking about one particular case that you know very little about beyond what you read on an ultra-nationalist "news" site and then extrapolating it to reach your absurd conclusion.
    It's not only my absurd conclusion. Vlasimir Soloview isn't communist, isn't ultra-nationalist and isn't stupid. He lectured in economics at the University of Alabama, 1992-1994. He's a Jew (or semi-jew). However, that's what I found in his blog (the first paragraph is about western diplomatic workers or something that killed Russians. The second paragraph is what I'm talking about:

Видел сегодня министра иностранных дел РФ Сергея Лаврова. Говорил с ним о трагическом эпизоде, когда гражданин на «Порше» убил двух студентов. Как вы знаете, в частности, после нашего эфира, (хотя, конечно, не только из-за этого), вызывали посла Германии для дачи объяснений в МИД. Он обещал всячески помочь расследованию. Хотя, есть ощущение, что, к сожалению, никуда ничего не двинется. Получается удивительная ситуация. Такой подход к жизни россиян, который проповедуют как немецкий сотрудник школы, убивший двух студентов, так и американский вице-консул, тяжело травмировавший человека и избежавший наказания. То есть, они все плодят "калоевых". И это, конечно, безобразие.

Ну, и еще один момент, от которого я просто пришел в ужас. Оказывается, человеку, который бросал башмаки в Буша, грозит 7,5 лет тюрьмы. Ну, действительно, - настоящая демократия. Парню, который убил ребенка, забыв его в машине, не грозит уже ничего! Американцы даже не собираются опротестовывать решение судьи. А человеку, который бросил башмаки в Буша - 7,5 лет. Это что? Цена башмаков, цена жизни и защита гражданских свобод? Что-то я плохо понимаю в системе правосудия и в демократических ценностях. Ну и, конечно, создан прецедент: дескать, если вам надоели ваши дети – оставьте их в машине на жаре. Они умрут, а вас не посадят. Куда катится Америка?

He sais he can't understand very well in the justice system and democratic values. You might probably want to suggest him to look that up in a dictionary too.[/quote:2831c3he]

I'm happy to say it. I don't care what his qualifications are, the person who wrote that is either an idiot, suffering from paranoia, dishonestly peddling an agenda, or any combination of those three. I can see no other possible explanation for trying to use a gross simplifaction of a single specific case to justify condemnation of an entire justice system, and/ or "democratic values" in general, which, I repeat, have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the judicial process anyway.

Banned

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "mishau_":206mbjow
    Оказывается, человеку, который бросал башмаки в Буша, грозит 7,5 лет тюрьмы.
    Майлзу Харрисону ГРОЗИЛО 10 лет тюрьмы.[/quote:206mbjow]Я слышал, что грозило 2,5.
    [quote:206mbjow]Американцы даже не собираются опротестовывать решение судьи.
    Насколько я понимаю, у них нет для этого законных оснований. Американская судебная система так устроена. Там два раза за одно и то же преступление не судят. [/quote:206mbjow]У нас тоже не судят за одно дважды (статья 50 Конституции). Пока не откроют скрытые ранее обстоятельства.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12