Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soviet History

Завсегдатай
    I dont think its that stupid of a question. I think you'd need to understand a lot of soviet history to understand Russia today.

One of the things I just don't understand is how/ why people go around tearing down statues of Lenin, and changing street/landmark names to forget about soviet times.

But why would they want to erase it? Lenin, Soviets, Bolsheviks... though out dated and long since passed... They are a part of Russian History. Lenin layed the bricks to raise russia to the only nation that could ever compete with the united states. So what if he was a communist? He is still a part of Russian history.

In the USA, Democrats dont go around tearing down statues of Abraham Lilcoln because he was a republican. I think people should stop trying to forget the past so easily, and be proud of what the soviet union managed to accomplish.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Увлечённый спикер
    you make a good point. i think people try to tear down physical signs of communism because its easier than dealing with what happened. but your right lenin brought russia to am amazing level. so what if hes a communist. on the other hand hitler single handedly brought germany out of the great depression, the worst economic time of the century. so what if he was a fascist.
    i guess i just dont understand people fear of communism. fear of change, fear of something different i suppose.

Завсегдатай
    Well, the Germans have done a fair job of remembering their past and accepting it. They teach it to children right from the beginning so they won't repeat some of the same mistakes their forefathers made. Anyway it's a lot better there than say iin Japan......

Do they teach about communism in Russian schools?

Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Do they teach about communism in Russian schools?
    They restore monuments to Dzerjynsky. That's what they do. But cshool children do now know what Lenin was like despite a lot of Lenin's memorials that still stand in frot of authorirty offices and never seem to be unmounted.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Well guys, I'v read your posts and must say - your view on russian's history is rather... как сказать? однобокий, короче... The level of ecomomy in Russian empire in 1913, even this the 1905's year revolution was so strong, that it was able to become the gratest economic in the world... If the WW1 not come... There wasn't any Lenin's deed - to make Russia great and prosperous, it's the FACT now - he took money from german kaizer Wilgelm to destroy Russia as a political and military force...
    His words :"Any means are good to take the power" That is not a citate, but the meaning is exact
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12