Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zedeeyen

Thread: The New York Times ought to be ashamed

  1. #1
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18

  2. #2
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    6
    Why should they be ashamed? The passage highlighted doesn't liken the Tea Party to the KKK at all, it employs a well-used delayed-punchline joke format to introduce the subject of the KKK in an attention-grabbing or thought-provoking way.

    Nothing to see here, just American right-wing mouth-breathers searching desperately for anything to be hysterically offended at, as usual.
    Deborski likes this.

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeeyen View Post
    Why should they be ashamed? The passage highlighted doesn't liken the Tea Party to the KKK at all, it employs a well-used delayed-punchline joke format to introduce the subject of the KKK in an attention-grabbing or thought-provoking way.

    Nothing to see here, just American right-wing mouth-breathers searching desperately for anything to be hysterically offended at, as usual.
    Yea Ok:

    its agenda driven by its members’ fervent embrace of nationalism, nativism and moral regeneration, with more than a whiff of racism wafting through it.No, not that movement.

    The one from the 1920s,

    Scott

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phx, AZ, US
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    10
    Well, my personal feelings about the Tea Party aside, I don't think any group wants to be associated with the caycaycay -- so I respect your point..

    However, if the NY Times was going to be ashamed of something it published, there are hundreds of other candidates, inflammatory articles, misreported news - even reviews that insulted something that later became world-renowned - and also being an american rag, nyt has some history of racism, going back to a dark and shudderworthy time when racist mindsets were the norm in our country...

    A rag is what a rag is - let's not put lipstick on pigs. (We'll leave that to Procter&Gamble) =)
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Yea Ok:

    its agenda driven by its members’ fervent embrace of nationalism, nativism and moral regeneration, with more than a whiff of racism wafting through it.No, not that movement.

    The one from the 1920s,

    Scott
    What is unreasonable, or inaccurate, about any of that? Nothing that I can see, except perhaps that to describe the KKK as having on a "whiff" of racism is a bit of a stretch. Other than that the comparison works as intended.

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeeyen View Post
    What is unreasonable, or inaccurate, about any of that? Nothing that I can see, except perhaps that to describe the KKK as having on a "whiff" of racism is a bit of a stretch. Other than that the comparison works as intended.
    Oh please - saying that the Tea Party has "with more than a whiff of racism wafting through" is vile. It's a shame that there's people that actually believe this nonsense.

    Scott

  7. #7
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    6
    You honestly don't think there's a whiff of racism in the Tea Party?

    Bizarre.

    Well, here's a news flash: pretty much everyone else on the planet does think so. Clearly the NYT is aimed at this demographic, and not at those in possession of reality-distorting devices.

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeeyen View Post
    You honestly don't think there's a whiff of racism in the Tea Party?

    Bizarre.

    Well, here's a news flash: pretty much everyone else on the planet does think so. Clearly the NYT is aimed at this demographic, and not at those in possession of reality-distorting devices.
    No not bizarre, I just don't follow slanted news sources. I know multiple Tea Party members and not one of them has a whiff of racism. I wanted to go to two Tea Party events but couldn't. I do not have a whiff of racism. I don't follow "news" agencies with agendas that are basically calling me a racist. Reality.


    Scott

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phx, AZ, US
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    10
    Besides Obama, who is our only black president, what other US presidents have the Tea Party people spoken out against?
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

  10. #10
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    No not bizarre, I just don't follow slanted news sources. I know multiple Tea Party members and not one of them has a whiff of racism. I wanted to go to two Tea Party events but couldn't. I do not have a whiff of racism. I don't follow "news" agencies with agendas that are basically calling me a racist. Reality.


    Scott
    Suggesting that a movement has a whiff of racism does not imply that every single one of its members are racists. Your friends may simply be morons, who knows?

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeeyen View Post
    Suggesting that a movement has a whiff of racism does not imply that every single one of its members are racists. Your friends may simply be morons, who knows?
    How come you can't have this discussion without calling names?

  12. #12
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,645
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    How come you can't have this discussion without calling names?
    Good question!

  13. #13
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,645
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeeyen View Post
    Suggesting that a movement has a whiff of racism does not imply that every single one of its members are racists. Your friends may simply be morons, who knows?
    Please refrain from rude comments.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай Throbert McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA (Фэйрфэкс, ш. Виргиния, США)
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    Besides Obama, who is our only black president, what other US presidents have the Tea Party people spoken out against?
    Carter, and FDR, and Clinton, and Carter, and LBJ, and FDR, and Carter...

  15. #15
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Carter, and FDR, and Clinton, and Carter, and LBJ, and FDR, and Carter...
    I'd add Woodrow Wilson to the list myself.

    Scott

  16. #16
    heartfelty
    Guest
    All that the Tea Party wants are low taxes, fiscal responsibility and drafting anti-abortion bills. They do not demand that the whole population subscribe to Christianity the way the Islamofascists want to forcibly convert the whole of America.Nothing to do with racism. Why would a famous white Tea Party journalist express her love and affection for me when I am black. She fell for my poetry and 'plausible arguments' in defense of American conservatism. I fell for Russian-Canadian lawyer because I hate the limelight and very much value my privacy.

  17. #17
    Властелин Deborski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    1,197
    Rep Power
    11
    Personally, I'm very pleased that the tide is turning. The teabaggers are drowning in their own tea, even FOX "news" is largely disregarding them, Sarah Palin has gone back to watching Russia from her porch, and given the ongoing comedy fest known as the GOP "debates" this year, Obama's re-election is pretty much guaranteed. The Occupy movement is beginning to sway people's opinions everywhere. Now if we can just keep the employment rate rising, find jobs for all of our returning soldiers, and send Gingrich on a one-way ticket to his "moon colony" we may even pull through this nightmare. Provided some war-obsessed blowhard doesn't get us into war with Iran...

    And I applaud the NY times for its candor and for not pandering to the 'baggers for a change.
    Last edited by Deborski; February 1st, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Similar Threads

  1. times
    By John_Douglas in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 19th, 2010, 11:43 PM
  2. Using Вы and ты at the correct times.
    By Автобус in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
  3. New York to Moscow
    By fortheether in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
  4. как по русски behind the times?
    By paramita in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: December 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM
  5. Interesting article in New York Times
    By kalinka_vinnie in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: April 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary