Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On June, 22, it is exactly at four o'clock.

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by V
    Yeah, long live deceit and stuff that has nothing at all to do with the point.
    Oh, V, it has everything to do with the point. I was making fun of the film's depiction of the sympathetic American government doing everything it can to save this one dopey idiot's life from behind enemy lines. Maybe nowadays they would, but in the 1940s? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior comment by V
    Besides, even if that's not likely to happen, it's not some gloryfication of war or anything. Historically inaccurate, maybe. But who cares?
    You see, I didn't say glorification of war. It was a glorification of heroism in war at the expense of any sense that what the Americans (By the way, where were all the allies in this film? Apparently the only country in the war was the US) were fighting were not just two-dimensional enemies waiting to be shot at or to kill off some character to move the plot along. The only war film I have EVER seen in which it seemed like they were Germans in Nazi uniforms rather than Nazis in German uniforms was The Longest Day. Another good one along a similar vein is Midway. I don't mind war movies, in fact I like some of them. But it's dumb when the villain characters are portrayed with no character development or personalities whatsoever, so that the audience just hates them and isn't allowed to identify with them at all. To me, this has the potential for dangerous psychological consequences.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Oh, V, it has everything to do with the point. I was making fun of the film's depiction of the sympathetic American government doing everything it can to save this one dopey idiot's life from behind enemy lines. Maybe nowadays they would, but in the 1940s? Give me a break.
    So, again, historically inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    You see, I didn't say glorification of war. It was a glorification of heroism in war at the expense of any sense that what the Americans (By the way, where were all the allies in this film? Apparently the only country in the war was the US) were fighting were not just two-dimensional enemies waiting to be shot at or to kill off some character to move the plot along. The only war film I have EVER seen in which it seemed like they were Germans in Nazi uniforms rather than Nazis in German uniforms was The Longest Day. Another good one along a similar vein is Midway. I don't mind war movies, in fact I like some of them. But it's dumb when the villain characters are portrayed with no character development or personalities whatsoever, so that the audience just hates them and isn't allowed to identify with them at all. To me, this has the potential for dangerous psychological consequences.
    Glorification of heroism? I see nothing wrong with that at all. I agree that SPR could have been a lot better at showing who the Germans were, although it did to that to some extent. I think Band of Brothers was a lot better at doing this, by the way. It was definitely better than Saving Private Ryan overall, too.
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

mike
    Wasn't that on HBO? I don't get premium cable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12