Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Кто" против "Который"

"Все, что нас не убивает - делает сильнее"

I admit that которое instead of что would sound weird and wouldn't make any meaning.
    In this case I suppose that что gives a more abstract and general meaning without indicating a specific object associated with Все.
    But in an expression: "Все вещи, которые нас не убивают - делает сильнее", I think that которые is one-way.

By the way "-" as part of a sentence is extremely weird.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Почтенный гражданин
    Вещи...делают - мн.ч. Я не уверен, что в предложении вообще должно быть тире, по правилам пунктуации там должна быть запятая. Тире здесь для усиления эмоциональной окраски фразы, что ли. Оно означает, что в этом месте надо сделать хорошую паузу. Во втором предложении в принципе возможно употребить "что" вместо "которые":
    "Все вещи, что нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее".

Все вещи, которые нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее
    Все вещи, что нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее

Both are possible. But as for me the difference between который and что there is really similar to the differences between English which and that.

For example:

My car, which is red, is fast. --- Here the which clause means that the information there is secondary. Like everyone knows that you have only one car and you just add that it's red.
    My car that is red is fast --- Here the that clause adds crucial information. It's like people knows you have more than one car and you differentiate between your cars by using "that" and it's like you pinpointing your particular red car with "that"

Although, Russian language doesn't really provide the exact same difference between что and который there but it's still very similar. Examine these:

Все вещи, что нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее - This что doesn't really target the respective noun вещи, well of course it does but not that strong. It's like что is only used to get clauses connected properly. You don't empesize the respective noun in any way. And these вещи seem to be just all the things in the world, not particular ones.

Все вещи, которые нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее. This которые does target the respective noun and does so very strongly. It does do exactly the same thing is "that" in that English sentence. You're really pinpointing the respective noun вещи with которые there. It almost sounds like these вещи are a particular set of things, not all the things in the world like in case with что.

Mind you that I did exaggerate the difference between что and который in there but sometimes a good well-placed exaggeration is a great tool to use.
    So I do hope it helps in any way

Good luck with that
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeMak View Post
    Вещи...делают - мн.ч. Я не уверен, что в предложении вообще должно быть тире, по правилам пунктуации там должна быть запятая. Тире здесь для усиления эмоциональной окраски фразы, что ли. Оно означает, что в этом месте надо сделать хорошую паузу. Во втором предложении в принципе возможно употребить "что" вместо "которые":
    "Все вещи, что нас не убивают, делают нас сильнее".
    Понятно. Но я заметил, что на русском языке вы употребляете тире чаще чем на английском. Например когда хотите сочетать два существительного:
    1. Москва - сталица = Moscow is a capital
    Есть конечно дополнительные примения:
    2. Курить - здоровью вредит = smoking harms health
    3. дважды два - четыре = two times time equals four
    4. Россия - это великая страна = Russia is a great country
    Last edited by Antonio1986; November 2nd, 2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Addition

Here тире is a replacement for the verb "to be" in present tense, which in speach is replaced by pause.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

I consider sleduiushee predlozhenie:
    "В настоящее время в работе бирж широко используются компьютерные сети и современные средства связи, позволяющие производить оперативный обмен информацией, что повышает эффективность проведения биржевых операции".
    I translate: Currently (At the moment) in the work of stock markets widely are used computer programs and contemporary means of connections, that/which allow/permit/let to produce the operating exchange of information, that increase the effectiveness of the execussion of stock market operations.

Here the word что replaces the action of "производить оперативный обмен информацией"

Yes, indeed.
    компьютерные сети = computer networks
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12