Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Боб Уайтман
  • 1 Post By pushvv

Thread: Кот versus Котэ

Новичок

Question Кот versus Котэ

Hello, I would like to know the difference between these 2 words: Кот and Котэ.
    I found several times on internet some words which have the letter Э at the end, sometimes written in uppercase, for exemple: пёсЭ. For me, as a beginner, this is quite confusing.
    Thank you in advance for your time to enlighten me!
    Gabriela

The котэ is internet slang for кот (as пёс for пёсэ). Somehow котэ, пёсэ (whichever animal + э ending) is supposed to be funny. However, as I said, it's internet slang and is not normally used in daily conversations and never (at least as far as I know) in literature.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Властелин
    yes.. it is only supposed to be funny... i have never seen it before (maybe such words occur somewhere in teenager chats)...

Новичок
    Thank you very much for your quick response!
    One more question, though: is there any difference in the pronunciation of these two forms? I mean, the э at the end of the word is pronounceable?

Старший оракул
    Actually, "Котэ" is a Georgian name. The full version is Konstantine Константинэ (კონსტანტინე), and the short informal version is Kote Котэ (კოტე). And yes, "э" is pronounceable. There was a famous sports commentator Котэ Махарадзе (Kote Makharadze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I believe, that is the reason why some people started writing "котэ" instead of "кот" to make it funny, as if it were a Georgian person's name.
    it-ogo likes this.

Новичок
    Now I understand.
    Большое спасибо!

Котэ - буква "Э" расположена около клавиши Enter, стало быть является очень частой и распространенной ошибкой, ну и забавы ради некоторые люди специально добавляют ее в конец слов. А кто-то заметил слово котэ и начал бездумно использовать (более того даже в разговорной речи, что, ей богу, раздражает нешуточно). Есть еще довольно много похожих примеров
    Doomer likes this.

Paul G.
    Even Medvedev once used "котэ" as a word for the cat which lives in the president's house. But what can we do if Medvedev uses Twitter, a typical teenage chat where such slang is completely Ok?

car
    Подающий надежды оратор
    I think it actually stems from that famous Chinese brick set for kids which was supposed to teach the alphabet, where the Chinese confused the letter З with the letter Э, and wrote АРБУЭ instead of АРБУЗ (watermelon); the ending -БУЭ is a bit funny because it sounds like a vomit sound, so it became popular on the Internet to attach -УЭ or -Э to the end of words, I think this is why people write котэ instead of кот.