Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Каникулы строгого режима

Завсегдатай
    Бескозырка - literally головной убор без козырька (козырёк - a (cap) peak)
    This is why the man said "А пионеров-то отменили!".
    Странно. Пионеров отменили, а дети в галстуках остались.
    Фото, сделанное мное в Крыму год назад:

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    What she had in her hands is "пионерский галстук"
    В правой руке у нее точно пилотки, на галстуках не было кисточек. =)

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    Новодворская увидит - удавится от злобы =)

Wow, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    This is why the man said "А пионеров-то отменили!".
    So, she's holding a пионерский галстук and he says something like "they did away with the pioneers." What пионеры is he talking about?
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Quote Originally Posted by sperk View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot!

So, she's holding a пионерский галстук and he says something like "they did away with the pioneers." What пионеры is he talking about?
    It's a name of communist boy&girlscouts in USSR. All (almost) children at Soviet schools were "пионеры" at some interval of age. They called also "юные ленинцы".
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

But what does that have to do with пионерский галстук & Пионерская пилотка that she was showing them?

It was a kind of parade uniform of "Пионеры" in addition to school uniform. They We wore such kind of red tie (even at school) and red garrison cap at official ceremonies.

You can see ties at the picture by gRomoZeka.

thanks again!
    YouTube - часть 4
    at 1:44 can you help me with these:
    Да шутняк.
    Чего?
    Тревожно.
    Лучше и то, и другое (1:59)

thanks!

"...А я так и знала. В газетах врут всё. Хотите я вам гуляш приготовлю, а? Или курочку?..."
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Властелин
    Бескозырка - literally головной убор без козырька (козырёк - a (cap) peak)

Странно. Пионеров отменили, а дети в галстуках остались.
    They can abolish pioneers, commies, whatever... but they can't abolish idiots!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    They can abolish pioneers, commies, whatever... but they can't abolish idiots!
    I'm not sure what you meant by this. I personally don't see anything wrong with kids having their own organisation.

Властелин
    I'm not sure what you meant by this. I personally don't see anything wrong with kids having their own organisation.
    As a way to get them into a controlled herd. Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if my kids in the future were persuaded to join something like that, I would have a very harsh talk with the persuaders.

Завсегдатай
    Our society is a controlled herd, even more so in the Western countries where your every step is monitored between banking system and omnipresent cameras. So unless you and your kids are going to live in the woods as hermits you'll be controlled one way or the other.

I agree, though, that it does matter what kind of organisation it is and what values it promotes. I belive that modern analogue of pioneer organisation (I don't know what it's called now) does not have any political agenda, if that was what set you off in the first place. It's just an opportunity for kids to do something together and to engage in some organised activities (summer camps, sports competitions, clubs, etc.) Even in the USSR while pioneers were technically considered "young communists" and there was something about loyalty to Communist party in their vow, in reality no one took the political part too seriously, and 99% of time pioneers were busy with usual children stuff. It was pretty much like boy- and girl-souts, only more boring, I guess - there was more talking (be honest, study well, help yougsters, respect your elders) and less doing.

Властелин
    Well, unless people are made to enroll in such organizations or discriminated due to their non-participation in them, I wouldn't give a damn about existence of the organizations. As far as I know, participation in that pioneer-comsomol stuff was compulsory, and those who were dropped out from those organizations then faced serious problems at school, work, etc. .

Завсегдатай
    ...and those who were dropped out from those organizations then faced serious problems at school, work, etc. .
    I see what you mean. I just want to point out that even though there was some pressure in certain situations, things were more relaxed in the USSR than many people believe.

My cousin refused to enter Comsomol (I think it was not because of any political reasons, more like he liked to act out at this age). There were no problems whatsoever. Zilch. Of course, his teachers were shocked at first (things like that did not happen often), and he and his mom earned a couple of lectures from them, but that was it. In a week nobody cared.

Moreover, my mom who worked in a high security engineering department refused to enter Communist party (being a Communist was not compulsory, but it could seriously help your career especially if your job was connected to military or high security stuff, and usually an offer to enter was accepted). She said outright to her boss who'd made an offer that she does not want to enter because Party meetings are boring and a waste of time. Again, there were no problems, she even got a promotion shortly afterwards.

I don't know anybody who refused to enter Pioneer organisation, though. Most of the 10-year olds (age of entering) were pretty excited about it, because it made them feel all grown-up.

I don't know anybody who refused to enter Pioneer organisation, though. Most of the 10-year olds (age of entering) were pretty excited about it, because it made them feel all grown-up.
    My classmate girl did not join Pioneers because her parents did not allow her to. They were baptists (Germans from Volga). She was not happy about that.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo View Post
    My classmate girl did not join Pioneers because her parents did not allow her to. They were baptists (Germans from Volga). She was not happy about that.
    I wonder how she was about that when she had grown up. Didn't she change her attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    I wonder how she was about that when she had grown up. Didn't she change her attitude?
    No idea. I've changed the city and lost all contacts. I think now she does not care as well as most of us. It was nothing more than a formality.

Does anyone happen to know what these 4 lines mean? thanks again!
    YouTube - часть 4
    at 1:44 can you help me with these:
    -Да шутняк.
    -Чего?
    -Тревожно.
    -Лучше и то, и другое (1:59)

thanks!

Подающий надежды оратор Surendil's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, "Шутняк" means fear, paranoia or persecution mania, as one of side effects after drug use
    - Да шутняк.
    - Чего? (What?)
    - Тревожно (neutral explanation of "шутняк")
    - Лучше и то и другое (both "курочка" and "гуляш")
    // Please, correct my mistakes! ^^

Старший оракул
    Again it’s a prison lingo. That’s why the lunch lady didn’t understand him. I believe I’ve never heard it either (you might ask what kind of Russian I am to not know so many Russian words, but as I said it’s феня – not exactly the Russian that people talk daily. Some start talking it under certain conditions but even than not always) but it’s not that hard to guess, I guess.
    Шутить, шутка, шутя, шутняк – something you can do effortlessly, шутя, not a big deal.
    His runaway fellow translates it for the woman as тревожно, making her think it’s an army combat term, which she readily does, the word corresponding to the battered looks of both the fake Chechen war veterans.
    -Лучше и то, и другое We’d rather have both (the chicken and the goulash she’s willing to cook them)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast