Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dtrq
  • 1 Post By John_Douglas
  • 1 Post By it-ogo

Thread: Если б было

Если б было

"Почему он умер?! Если б было можно увидеть его, подбежать к нему, обнять и поблагодарить его!" - Мария сказала
    Translation: "Why he died. If it would have been (or just "would be"???) possible to see him, run to him, hug him and express my graditute to him" - Maria said.
    I must conclude that:
    (a) the word б expressed the conditional structure: would (+ have) + infinitive.
    (b) the word б is a synonym of бы and they are used interchangeably.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

You're right.

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.
    Yes I would.
    If I could,
    I surely would.

Я бы лучше был воробьем, чем улиткой.
    Да, я бы стал воробъем.
    Если б я мог,
    Я бы точно стал.

MasterAdmin and Antonio1986 like this.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    "Почему он умер?! Если б было можно увидеть его, подбежать к нему, обнять и поблагодарить его!" - Мария сказала
    Translation: "Why he died. If it would have been (or just "would be"???) possible to see him, run to him, hug him and express my graditute to him" - Maria said.
    I must conclude that:
    (a) the word б expressed the conditional structure: would (+ have) + infinitive.
    (b) the word б is a synonym of бы and they are used interchangeably.
    бы introduces the conditional, which is sometimes but not always expressed by "would" in English. Here, the correct English translation is "if only it was/were possible to ..." or "if only I could.."
    Antonio1986 likes this.

It is called subjunctive rather than conditional. The difference is that subjunctive implies that the mentioned condition is not really fulfilled, that is purely imaginary.

"б" and "бы" are two forms of the same word.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo View Post
    It is called subjunctive rather than conditional. The difference is that subjunctive implies that the mentioned condition is not really fulfilled, that is purely imaginary.

"б" and "бы" are two forms of the same word.
    The term subjunctive is mostly used in Russian textbooks of English. Most English language grammar books call it second or third conditional (the second conditional is past+would, the third is past perfect+would have), or unreal conditional. In any case, you're correct that it refers to an imaginary condition.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Douglas View Post
    The term subjunctive is mostly used in Russian textbooks of English. Most English language grammar books call it second or third conditional (the second conditional is past+would, the third is past perfect+would have), or unreal conditional.
    Interestingly there is a big article in English wikipedia about subjunctive (and specifically subjunctive in English). Looks like it is a professional linguistic term rather than one of the school grammar. It is not the first time I find that scientific linguistics and native school traditions treat the problem in a different way. For example usual case order or declension numbering in native Russian textbooks and materials for the foreigners are different.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Let's consider the following conditionals:

1. If I find her adress, I will send her an invitation - Если я найду ее адрес, я отправлю ей приглашение.
    2. If I were rich, I would buy an expensive house - Если бы (или б) я был богатый (-ым), я купил бы (или б) дорогой дом.
    3. If I had come earlier, I would have met him - Если бы (или б) я пришел ранее, я встрели бы (или б) его.
    4. If I had gone to the party, I would have got bored - Если бы (или б) я пошел на вечеринку, мне скучал был бы (или б).
    5. If I had met her before she cut her hair so short, probably, I would have liked her - Если бы (или б) я встретил ее, прежде чем она постригла свой волосы настолько, наверно, она мне понравилась был бы (или б)
    The first conclusion here is that “would have + infinitive” and “would + infinitive” in Russian are expressed with Past Simple + бы (или б)
    6. I would marry an Enginer - Я вышла замуж бы (или б) за инжинира.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Not sure what is Russian Past Simple, but your sentences are largely good. There are much syntax mistakes, though.
    1. A typo sought: встретил, not встрели.
    2. Not every verb followed by Б, sounds nice. I would only make use of Б after ЕСЛИ, if at all:
    I mean: купил б - does not sound naturally, and the same with встретил б, понравилась б.
    Вышла б is possible, probably because this verb ends with a vowel.

Я вышла замуж бы (или б) за инжинира.
    Я бы вышла [б вышла, вышла бы] замуж за инженера.

Если бы (или б) я встретил ее, прежде чем она постригла свой волосы настолько, наверно, она мне понравилась был бы (или б)
    Если б я встретил её до того как она постриглась так коротко, наверное, она мне понравилась бы. [был in front of бы is redundant]
    Волосы are plural, hence should be: свои волосы.

мне скучал был бы
    мне было бы скучно
    или
    я скучал бы там
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."