Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By it-ogo
  • 1 Post By Inego
  • 1 Post By Боб Уайтман

Thread: Subordinate Clauses + Other meanings of Common Words

Увлечённый спикер

Lightbulb Subordinate Clauses + Other meanings of Common Words

So, I know that что when used in a subordinate clause, or position in the sentence,что is no longer translated as "what" but as "that"

For Example: Я думаю, что мы должны пойдем в парк (I think, THAT we should go to the park)

However, I have heard one time in my Russian Studies that как also changes "translation" when used as a subordinate. My First Question then naturally is, to what does it change into?

My second question then: Are there any other words, when used as a subordinate, that change "translation", and if so, what are they?

My third question: Do you always need a comma to signify a subordinate clause in Russian? Or could что and как (and others, I am assuming) change meaning without one?

I will have plenty of questions in the future about all sorts of things, I am sure of it!

Большое Спасибо!

By the way: I understand that in a russian's mind, the meaning of these words never changes. I'm just talking about how they would be directly translated into english, that's all!

2. Those words (and word combinations) are called "subordinate conjunctions" ("подчинительные союзы") and they are plenty in Russian as well as in English and German. More or less complete list see here for example.

1. Replacing SC "что" by "как" sometimes can give complete equivalent, sometimes can give a slight difference and sometimes can provide completely different sense or can be just impossible. The variety of situations where one can use those conjunctions is really vast so it is hardly possible to cover all situations with several examples.

Я думаю, что мы должны пойти в парк. - I think, THAT we should go to the park.
    Я думаю, как мы должны пойти в парк. - I think ABOUT THE WAY we should go to the park.

3. Comma between clauses is mandatory in Russian. Missing comma means a punctuation mistake. Though the situation when missing comma between clauses leads to the change of meaning is rather rare.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Увлечённый спикер
    -Болшое спасибо!

Many thanks!

Vielen Dank, und Schoene Tag noch!

Quote Originally Posted by Gottimhimmel View Post
    Vielen Dank, und Schoene Tag noch!
    Sie sind aus Texas und sprechen Deutsch? O, Gott im Himmel!
    Tararwen likes this.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottimhimmel View Post
    Большое спасибо!
    In addition to It-ogo's examples:
    Он рассказал мне, что в прошлом году он ездил в Америку. - He told me that he visited the US last year. (Informed about the fact).
    Он рассказал мне, как в прошлом году он ездил в Америку. - He told me how he visited the US last year. (Although I am not sure this sentence is correct in English) - He told me how it was, it underlines that some details about his trip were desribed.

And one more fact: the subordinate conjunction "что" is not always translated "that", it can be translated "what" depending on the context:
    Я сказал ему, что я ему позвоню позже. - I told him that I would call him later.
    Я сказал ему, что я сейчас делаю. - I told him what I was doing at the moment.