Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By maxmixiv
  • 1 Post By Lampada
  • 1 Post By klalofudo
  • 1 Post By Soft sign

Thread: stuck, lost, put on (jewelry)

stuck, lost, put on (jewelry)

1. The computer have stuck (i.e. a program is not reacting and even if I press buttons I cannot change program or close the existing)
    2. I have stuck (i.e. I want to say something in Russian but I forgot the words and I cannot say it).
    3. Pandora-bracelet.jpg:
    As you can see in this particular type of jewel there is a plain bracelet and then you can put charms (i.e. bits) on it.
    How you will say to a customer that chooses one bit: "Do you want me to put this bit on your bracelet, to see how it looks" or "I will show you how to put on the bit on your bracelet" or "The idea behind Pandora bracelets is that you buy initially the plain bracelet and then you complete it / put charms on gradually with bits related with specific moments of your life"
    - I was thinking of the words stavit' / postavit' and nadevat' / nadet' but certainly are not correct.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

If talking about computers we say "зависнуть". --- Компьютер завис or even like this though less common --- компьютер висит (as in right now and please, don't take the literal meaning for that )

if talking about being stuck as in when speaking, that's a bit difficult because I don't think there is an all around solution for this, you need to come up with something different like:

Я не знаю, как это сказать... Я забыл слово... Я не мог говорить связно (like I couldn't come up with something comprehensive, because of the lack of vocabulary or something else, or couldn't tie up words or sentences into something that would make sense.)

3) That actually depends on what you mean with the bit, because I think we'd usually name the bit with the word that bit really is. Like:

Do you want me to put this bit on your bracelet, to see how it looks - Хотите, чтобы я прикрепил этот камушек на браслет, чтобы посмотреть как он будет выглядеть с ним?

I will show you how to put on the bit on your bracelet - Я покажу вам, как прикреплять/прикрепить камушек на браслет

Note: under "камушек" I mean a gem.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    If talking about computers we say "зависнуть". --- Компьютер завис or even like this though less common --- компьютер висит (as in right now and please, don't take the literal meaning for that )

if talking about being stuck as in when speaking, that's a bit difficult because I don't think there is an all around solution for this, you need to come up with something different like:

Я не знаю, как это сказать... Я забыл слово... Я не мог говорить связно (like I couldn't come up with something comprehensive, because of the lack of vocabulary or something else, or couldn't tie up words or sentences into something that would make sense.)

3) That actually depends on what you mean with the bit, because I think we'd usually name the bit with the word that bit really is. Like:

Do you want me to put this bit on your bracelet, to see how it looks - Хотите, чтобы я прикрепил этот камушек на браслет, чтобы посмотреть как он будет выглядеть с ним?

I will show you how to put on the bit on your bracelet - Я покажу вам, как прикреплять/прикрепить камушек на браслет

When I am writting an e-mail I use the word прикреплять/прикрепить in order to pass the meaning: I have attached on this e-mail this document.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    When I am writting an e-mail I use the word прикреплять/прикрепить in order to pass the meaning: I have attached on this e-mail this document.
    So? What's your point? Are you doubting I have chosen a right word? If so you're free not to use it

Anyway, if you don't trust me with that word use the word добавить as your piece of jewellery definitely has a feature of being added new bits once in a while
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

So? What's your point? Are you doubting I have chosen a right word? If so you're free not to use it

Anyway, if you don't trust me with that word use the word добавить as your piece of jewellery definitely has a feature of being added new bits once in a while
    I am not in the position not to trust you.
    I am just thinking how difficult is to separate the uses of all these verbs.
    I feel stupid.

I feel stupid.
    If you are stupid than I'm dumber than a tree stump. You know at least two languages (Greek and English) and learning Russian. As for me I've realized quite a while ago that I'll never will be able speak on a decent level even two (Russian and English).
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77 View Post
    You know at least two languages (Greek and English) and learning Russian.
    Но это не играет роль. Никто не использует греческий кроме греков. Но с другой стороны русский очень важный язык.
    You are level in English is very good you just need to listen more english-speaking films.

прикреплять -
    Если ты отправляешь письмо с прикреплённым файлом, то этот файл пойдёт к адресату вместе с письмом.
    Если ты прикрепляешь камушек к браслету, то опять, покупатель, унося браслет, непременно унесёт заодно и камешек (так как камушек крепко держится на браслете)

Ставить/поставить/надеть - тоже подойдёт. Клиенту будет понятно, во всяком случае.
    Могу предложить ещё альтернативы:
    установить (to set/install/place)
    вставить (to insert)
    нанизать (to thread)
    прицеплять (to hitch?)

Stuck while speaking foreign language:
    иностранцы в такой ситуации могут бормотать: Как это будет по-русски?
    Last edited by maxmixiv; May 20th, 2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typos fixed
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

I forgot to ask:
    (1) I have a lot of work to do. I feel lost. I don't know from where to start from

У меня полно работы. Даже не знаю, с чего начать.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

I forgot to ask:
    (1) I have a lot of work to do. I feel lost. I don't know from where to start from
    ..[Совсем] утратил (или потерял) ориентацию и не знаю, с чего начать.
    or Теряюсь и не знаю, с чего начать.

Властелин

A piece of advanced Russian humor... Только у программеров "все повисло" и "все встало" означают одно и то же

How I say: My brain has stuck.

Мозги отключились?
    Antonio1986 likes this.

Новичок
    Башка/голова не работает. Дословно: мозг завис, но такое выражение довольно редкоупотребимо.
    Antonio1986 likes this.

Котелок не варит
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    Please correct my English

1. Компьютер завис \ виснет (n.b. freezes (is working slow) = "компьютер тормозит")

2. Голова не варит.

Башка не соображает.

3. -Хотите, я добавлю этот элемент к вашему браслету, чтобы посмотреть как будет выглядеть?

-Я покажу вам, как добавить элемент к браслету.

-Суть с браслетами Пандоры в том, что вы сперва покупаете пустой браслет, а затем дополняете его постепенно, с каждым определенным моментом жизни.