• 1 Post By Боб Уайтман
  • 1 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By John_Douglas
  • 1 Post By iCake
  • 2 Post By Боб Уайтман

Thread: Some Nouns Ending with “ь”

Some Nouns Ending with “ь”

Hello,
    I try to memorize nouns ending with “ь”. I decided that if I try to memorize them togather with the adjectives, to remember their gender will be easier.
    Could you please tell me if these adjective look good with these nouns? Do they make sense? Best.

твердая сталь
    сбалансированная справедливость
    прекрасный спектакль
    опасный зверь
    стойкий портфель
    надежный приятель
    осторожный слушатель
    умный вождь
    яркий огонь
    широкая тень
    переполненная плошадь
    тихая жзинь

Старший оракул
    твердая сталь - ОК
    сбалансированная справедливость - ОК, but too "scientific". Many people would hardly get the idea what it means Try to find a simpler adjective e.g. всеобщая справедливость
    прекрасный спектакль - ОК
    опасный зверь - ОК
    стойкий портфель - grammatically OK, but I can't get what you mean by this. Стойкий is usually applied to people (firm, steady man). Or to something abstract (stable state).
    надежный приятель - OK
    осторожный слушатель - OK
    умный вождь - OK
    яркий огонь - OK
    широкая тень - OK
    переполненная площадь - OK (you wrote "плошадь", a typo again)
    тихая жизнь - OK (corrected a typo)

Impulse, your approach is good!
    I would just recommend an easier way: if your purpose is to memorize the gender, it's enough to use some simple pronouns "этот/эта" or "мой/моя". Isn't it easier?

And to make the things even easier, there are some patterns.
    100% of nouns with the suffix -ость are feminine. All the nouns with the suffix -тель are masculine. And maybe some more patterns.
    impulse likes this.

Thanks for the answer. With the стойкий портфель, I try to say, "stiff/hard/sturdy briefcase". Like it is very reliable and will not tearoff.

Ok your advice is very good. I will also use that method. But with my method I also force myself to memorize new adjectives.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    Thanks for the answer. With the стойкий портфель, I try to say, "stiff/hard/sturdy briefcase".
    Then it is probably "прочный портфель" (durable). This adjective is used for solid bodies in physical sense. "Стойкий" does not work here.
    impulse likes this.

я писал больше

бывшая тяжесть
    невинная ложь
    сильная юность
    эффективный двигатель
    большой корабль
    длинная цепь
    глубокая радость
    магическая любовь
    сильная память
    срочная помочь
    подробная речь
    длинная очередь

я написал ещё

бывшая тяжесть - I don't think бывшая is a good adjective here, I suggest - невыносимая (unbearable)
    невинная ложь
    сильная юность - There's no such thing as сильная юность - I suggest - прекрасная юность
    эффективный двигатель
    большой корабль
    длинная цепь
    глубокая радость
    магическая любовь - магическая here is okay, but too bookish, I suggest сильная любовь
    сильная память - That is a bit awkward, I suggest - отличная память
    срочная помощь
    подробная речь
    длинная очередь
    impulse likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Почтенный гражданин
    It helps to memorize words in common expressions, not just making up random combinations. For example скорая помощь. Or practice telling stories using the words, or learn songs that employ these words.

Another good way to remember the gender is to think of the instrumental form. For example, лось /с лосем, рожь/ c рожью. лощадь/ с лощадью, конь/ с конем.
    impulse likes this.

я написал ещё - спасибо большое за проверяете!

далёикая гавань
    приятный/милый/прелестный гость -- I do not know what is the exact difference between those three adjectives?
    слабая связь
    просторная щель
    эта горизонталь
    большая камень
    высококачественная мебель
    высококачественная нефть - нефть means petroleum?
    коричневый ремень
    утомительный контроль

Just want to know if I understand these adjectives correctly
    беззаботный человек -carefree man
    опытный человек - experienced man about a subject ( like accounting, diving, football, etc)
    прежний председатель - former president (of a country)

я написал ещё - спасибо большое за то, что проверяете!

далёкая гавань
    приятный/милый/прелестный гость
    слабая связь
    просторная щель
    эта горизонталь
    большой камень
    высококачественная мебель
    высококачественная нефть - нефть is the black oil, formed deep under the ground
    коричневый ремень
    утомительный контроль

приятный is something that causes only positive emotions for you, but not very strong ones
    милый is adorable to look at in other words cute, also used as a standard adjective or adress for your spouse or lover, in other words - dear
    прелестный is the strongest word here, something that is absolutely spectacular

Still, the differences between those words are very subtle.

As for the three words you want to check up on, yes, you're right about their meanings, but just one note to you,
    we usually use the adjective бывший to mean former, but прежний is okay too
    impulse likes this.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Мне не нравится выражение "просторная щель". Очевидное противоречие одного другому. Я бы сказала довольно широкая щель, хотя тоже не звучит.

"Значение слова щель по Ефремовой:
    Щель -
    1. Узкое продолговатое отверстие, сквозная трещина. // Узкое
    отверстие специального назначения (в машине, механизме и т.п.).
    Короткий, узкий и глубокий ров, предназначенный для укрытия людей от артиллерийского обстрела, бомбардировки и атаки танков. // перен. разг. Укромное место, служащее укрытием, убежищем кому-л.
    3. перен. разг.
    Место, сквозь которое можно незаметно пробраться куда-л."
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Мне не нравится выражение "просторная щель". Очевидное противоречие одного другому. Я бы сказала довольно широкая щель, хотя тоже не звучит.

"Значение слова щель по Ефремовой:
    Щель -
    1. Узкое продолговатое отверстие, сквозная трещина. // Узкое отверстие специального назначения (в машине, механизме и т.п.).
    2. Короткий, узкий и глубокий ров, предназначенный для укрытия людей от артиллерийского обстрела, бомбардировки и атаки танков. // перен. разг. Укромное место, служащее укрытием, убежищем кому-л.
    3. перен. разг. Место, сквозь которое можно незаметно пробраться куда-л."
    Yes, you're right to that is awkward to say просторная щель without a proper context, still you can say like that, for example:

You want to hide somewhere, but you don't know where, and you ran across a big gap in a rock (or something else, doesn't matter), and you understand that you can fit in that gap nicely and a good amount of space still would be between your body and the surrounding edges of the gap. In other words, that won't be a tight squeeze for you, and просторный is the exact opposite to tight regarding a space.

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Yes, you're right to that is awkward to say просторная щель without a proper context, still you can say like that, for example:

You want to hide somewhere, but you don't know where, and you ran across a big gap in a rock (or something else, doesn't matter), and you understand that you can fit in that gap nicely and a good amount of space still would be between your body and the surrounding edges of the gap. In other words, that won't be a tight squeeze for you, and просторный is the exact opposite to tight regarding a space.
    Опять же, в таком случае я бы сказала щель оказалась достаточно вместительной для чего-то.
    Я вижу в Яндексе примеры с просторной щелью, но я всё равно против такого употребления.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Опять же, в таком случае я бы сказала щель оказалась достаточно вместительной для чего-то.
    Я вижу в Яндексе примеры с просторной щелью, но я всё равно против такого употребления.
    I don't see any reason to say all those words if you can just say просторный. That word refers to the space just partially, it refers mostly to the feeling you have.

Haven't you ever heard or used this expression: чувствовать простор, чувствовать себя просторно?

That's why it would be rediculous to use it like that: - Камню будет просторно там - that's a stone! It doesn't feel anything
    But it would be just fine to say like this: - Вове будет там просторно - Vova is a person, he can feel

Given the above, I don't see why if someone feels простор in the gap, you can't say that the gap is просторный. But, yes, that gap can't be просторный for a senseless stone, for the stone it would be just вместительная or широкая as you said above

Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post
    Impulse, your approach is good!
    I would just recommend an easier way: if your purpose is to memorize the gender, it's enough to use some simple pronouns "этот/эта" or "мой/моя". Isn't it easier?

And to make the things even easier, there are some patterns.
    100% of nouns with the suffix -ость are feminine. All the nouns with the suffix -тель are masculine. And maybe some more patterns.

I think you were right. It will be better to remember these words with articles. Best

Этот день
    Этот парень
    Этот писатель
    Этот гость
    Этот огонь
    Этот камень
    Этот родитель
    Этот житель
    Этот секретарь
    Этот царь
    Этот зверь
    Этот уровень
    Этот читатель
    Этот рубль
    Этот король
    Этот лагерь
    Этот корабль
    Этот путь
    Этот дождь
    Этот спектакль
    Этот портфель
    Этот приятель
    Этот слушатель
    Этот вождь
    Этот двигатель
    Этот корабль
    Этот ремень
    Этот контроль
    Этот путь

Эта сталь
    Эта тень
    Эта тяжесть
    Эта ложь
    Эта юность
    Эта цепь
    Эта радость
    Эта справедливость
    Эта ночь
    Эта площадь
    Эта дверь
    Эта часть
    Эта мысль
    Эта помощь
    Эта смерть
    Эта любовь
    Эта речь
    Эта память
    Эта помочь
    Эта очередь
    Эта гавань
    Эта связь
    Эта щель
    Эта горизонталь
    Эта мебель
    Эта нефть
    Эта жзинь
    Эта кровать
    Эта власть
    Эта очередь
    Эта грудь
    Эта цель
    Эта знать
    Эта даль
    Эта роль
    Эта пыль
    Эта скорость
    Эта личность
    Эта честь
    Эта кость
    Эта деятельность
    Эта кровь
    Эта степень
    Эта область
    Эта радость
    Эта вещь
    Эта лошадь
    Эта боль
    Эта ладонь
    Иди и учи русский!

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    I think you were right. It will be better to remember these words with articles.
    A minor note: they are not articles, but just indicative pronouns. We do not have articles (a/the) in Russian.

Эта помощь -> This one is right
    Эта смерть
    Эта любовь
    Эта речь
    Эта память
    Эта помочь -> It should be "помощь" (see above). There is no noun like "помочь". There is a verb "помочь - to help" (stress on second О) and a noun "помощь - help" (stress on first О).

Эта жзинь -> жизнь
    BTW, to simplify your task:
    1. All nouns derived from verbs with the suffix -тель meaning "a person or a device which performs the action" are masculine.

There are some cases when a noun ending in -тель is feminine. But actually they do not comply the condition above: they do not mean "someone or something performing an action". They are:

артель (artel) - loan word, no suffix "тель": эта артель,
    канитель (gold or silver thread), often used figuraively (long-drawn-out proceedings) - loan word, no suffix "тель": эта канитель,
    обитель (archaic word: dwelling-place, abode, cloister) - there is suffix "-тель", but it does not mean an actor: эта обитель.

Maybe some others.

However, all those words are quite rare.

2. All the nouns derived from adjectives with the suffix -ость (-есть after ж, ш, ч, щ) meaning "a quality name" are feminine.
    Moreover, even the nouns without that suffix which end in -сть are mainly feminine (эта власть, эта масть, эта пасть, эта честь, эта весть, эта кисть, эта кость, эта грусть etc.).

Again, there are a few cases when a noun in -сть is masculine, but they do not have -ость/-есть as a suffix, and they are masculine because they refer to male persons:
    тесть (father-in-law),
    гость (guest).

Maybe some others, I am not sure.

I believe those "rules" will help you, since we have a great number of words in "-тель" or in "-ость/-есть".
    maxmixiv and impulse like this.

However, all those words are quite rare.
    Постель ещё женского рода.
    И пастель тоже (произносится [пастЭль])

Любопытно, что картель [картЭль] - мужского рода, хотя он не выполняет никакого действия...
    Last edited by maxmixiv; August 5th, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    И пастель тоже (произносится [постЭль])
    - Are you sure?

My stupid fingers did it
    Made correction.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."